VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!

I got a movie recorded in 25 fps that I want to convert to NTSC 23,97 with 3:2 flag in Final Cut (as fas as i understand the 3:2 will make it play correct in NTSC DVD?)

How do I do this. What I done is to:

1) Easy Setup = DV NTSC 23.98

2) dragged the mov file from the browser into the timeline and did select no on change settings to match the clip

3) anti alised the clip (it went blurry and antialising helped)

My question is:

Ive understood that NTSC is:
    720x480/29.97fps or 23,98fps with 3:2 flag

Mine is now in 23,98 but how do I now if I got the 3:2 pull down flag???

Im using this settings on the clip:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	slang.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	2103

does that look correct? Im thinking mainly on the NTSC DV 3:2. does that mean that Ive got the pull down flag and that it will play correct in a NTSC DVD?

thanks

Perik
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yes, 3:2 pulldown is what you want if you are slowing your video down to 23.976 fps. But you can avoid changing the running time (and having to adjust the audio) buy encoding progressive at 25 fps with a720x480 frame size, then using DgPulldown to add pulldown flags (25 to 29.97 fps) to make the video compatible with NTSC DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    whoops, sorry. this shall be the correct footage:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	slang2.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	2110

been experimenting a bit so accidently took the wrong one.

Is this correct then?

how can I see if I got the 3:2 flag?
    do I already have the 3:2 flag in the picture above?

and what does it do?

thanks

Perik
    Last edited by perik; 3rd Jun 2010 at 03:48.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't use Final Cut so I can't really answer your question. But the 3:2 in the pic above refers to the resolution aspect ratio. 720/480=1.5:1=3:2.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I don't use Final Cut so I can't really answer your question. But the 3:2 in the pic above refers to the resolution aspect ratio. 720/480=1.5:1=3:2.
    LOL. I didn't notice that. I suspect the OP's setting's wont work because he is set to use a DV encoder. The program will probably duplicate every 4th frame (to create 29.97 fps from 23.976 fps), resulting in jerky video, or simply encode the 23.976 fps video at 29.97 fps, resulting in faster playback.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Note also that the source movie is actually 25fps, not 23.976, so 3:2 pulldown is not applicable anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  7. He said his video "is now in 23,98" but I don't know what he means by that. Did he slow it down? Did he throw discard 1 out of every 25 frames?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    He said his video "is now in 23,98" but I don't know what he means by that. Did he slow it down? Did he throw discard 1 out of every 25 frames?
    final cut did that. just to get it down to ntsc. dont know how to do this otherwise. any tip? using compressor makes it look terrible.

DVD studio pro?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I don't know about tools for the Mac. But there are two main methods of converting progressive PAL to NTSC DVD:

1) Slow the frame rate down to 23.976 fps, reduce the frame size to 720x480, encode as MPEG 2 with 3:2 pulldown flags. This increases the running time of the video by about 4 percent so you have to slow the audio down too.

2) Leave the video at 25 fps, reduce the frame size to 720x480, and encodes as MPEG 2 with 3:2:3:2:2 pulldown flags. I don't know of any encoder that can do that though. So you have to encode as progressive MPEG 2 at 25 fps then use DgPulldown (there is a Mac version) to add the pulldown flags. With this method you don't have to change the audio length.
    Quote Quote