VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Have progressive PAL video (which I am converting to ntsc) but ALL edges (and text) have combing or similar artifacting. Tried vinverse but didnt do anything - if it needs masktools2, I could not find a compatible plugin for Avisynth 2.5. Sample uploaded shows combing on eye glass frames.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. There is no combing. There's aliasing from poor deinterlacing though. Is that what you want to fix?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If that's what you see around the eye glass frame, then yes. I would have thought they used a film source, not interlaced video that needed deinterlacing before converting to PAL. Could the aliasing be caused by encoding progressive video as interlaced by mistake?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by spiritgumm View Post
    If that's what you see around the eye glass frame, then yes.
    To reduce the aliasing artifacts try:

Code:
    SeparateFields().SelectEven().Santiag().nnedi3(dh=true)
    Originally Posted by spiritgumm View Post
    Could the aliasing be caused by encoding progressive video as interlaced by mistake?
    No. Someone deinteracled before encoding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, the script is an improvement (cleans up the glass frames), although you lose some sharpness and aliasing is still noticeable in the rest of the video - might not be so apparent in that dark sample. I upped strength=3, still aliasing with diminishing sharpness. A brighter sample of the original might demonstrate how bad it is.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. You can't clean up all the aliasing and have a sharp picture. Half the picture is missing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the info. Any tweaking of these filters, or another filter, you can suggest?
    I believe my Santiag is older version still compatible with Avy2.58. Would upgrading to Avy2.6 and newer Santiag (which requires masktools2) improve results?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by spiritgumm View Post
    I believe my Santiag is older version still compatible with Avy2.58. Would upgrading to Avy2.6 and newer Santiag (which requires masktools2) improve results?
    I don't know. I'm using Santiag version 1.6. Attached is the result I get, for comparison.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you do the 2nd sample since first is too dark to evaluate beyond the glass frames?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by spiritgumm View Post
    Can you do the 2nd sample since first is too dark to evaluate beyond the glass frames?
    Here's the second clip, same script.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I found an earlier thread I started with the same request but for a b&w movie. The method suggested using QTGMC( Preset="Slower", InputType=2, ProgSADMask=2.0 ) works alot better to remove aliasing and keep it sharp, although abit late for my purposes. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/381262-Fixing-aliasing-combing-in-PAL-progressive-...lp#post2468172
    Anyway, I have another progressive PAL b&w movie and thought it would work well by adjusting the mask value, but I'm having other problems.
    First, it's smoothing out too much detail. I read the wiki but I'm not sure how to back that off.
    Parts of background look wavy.
    There's a rain scene that looks jittery.
    I've tried tweaking the filter but I'm not having much luck getting it all right, so perhaps a smarter person can advise.
    I'm attaching a compilation clip of 3 scenes. After filtering, the ceiling curtain in first shot gets wavy, and rain scene gets jittery. 3rd scene provides good example of aliasing (top of doorway behind man).
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote