VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Biggest Comedian Who Use To Be Funny, But Now Sucks...

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. OMG who said Bill Murray? He was hysterical in Lost In Translation. Adam Sandler redeemed himself a little in 50 First Dates. I was sure it was going to be sh*tty like Waterboy or Little Nicky but it was good. Maybe it's cuz' I'm a girl, but I ate that up. *Forgetful Lucy... cracked her head like Gary Busy* ;p

Cheers, now someone help me please with my writer!
    If possible email directly with replies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    Originally Posted by Will Hay
    Steve Martin, but can't remember him ever been funny to be honest.
    Will Hay

i don't know -- he is one of the few that ever had me in stitches .. and those days of SNL w/ JB and company were still the best by far .... (does anyone still watch snl anymore?)
    Being in the UK we were only force fed his hollywood stuff.
    Whilst I loved Planes, Trains.. his role could've been played by anyone, he didn't add anything to the film by playing the role.
    Still enjoyed the film though
    I would have liked to have seen that chap from Malcolm In The Middle play Steve Martins movie roles (character: Hal?), now there's a funny guy.
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mikel
    Losing one's ability to be funny..........is nothing to laugh at.

mikel
    It's all fun and games until someone looses an eye....or the ability to be funny...

Did I spell looses wrong? That word always looks wrong to me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    Will Hay
    I think you have him confused with Martin Short....NOTHING Martin Short has ever done has been funny.
    Erm, no, I mean Steve Martin, hence the 'Steve Martin' phrase/name/words/collection of letters in my post.
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by BJ_M
    Will Hay

i don't know -- he is one of the few that ever had me in stitches .. and those days of SNL w/ JB and company were still the best by far .... (does anyone still watch snl anymore?)

the fork in the eye -- i guess i go for that type of humour .. he has had some real duds though also ..
    I was a big fan of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, thought he was good in that, and how about Planes, trains and automobiles ?
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by dphirschler
    I realize Eddie Murphy is taking a hit here, but don't forget his brilliant series "The PJs".

Darryl
    Or raw or delirious
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Being in the UK we were only force fed his hollywood stuff.
    Whilst I loved Planes, Trains.. his role could've been played by anyone, he didn't add anything to the film by playing the role.
    Still enjoyed the film though
    Originally Posted by Hardcoreruss
    I was a big fan of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, thought he was good in that, and how about Planes, trains and automobiles ?
    Yeah, I forgot about that, you can add D. R. Scoundrels to the films I enjoyed (very much) with SM in, but I still say he doesn't make the role his own, there are a few that could happily play the same role.

Will Hay
    Quote Quote  
  8. Holy Mackeral, Sapphire! This topic has spawned more angry responses than the usual thread on DVDRhelp, "Why My Capture Card Sucks and Can't Produce a Watchable VCD or DVD."

And in all honesty, some of the responses are intemperate. Ellen DeGeneris used not to be funny. The peak of her unfunniness was when she announced she was a lesbian on her lousy sitcom to try to get up the ratings. She thought America's massive gay and lesbian audience would tune in and boost her ratings. She found out that gays, too, found her unfunny.

After that blew up in her face, and after she got thrown off the air, and couldn't get work for three years or so, she's undergone a change. She isn't world-class funny, but she can induce a smile or two. Comedy is based on truth, after all, and having her face shoved into the truth (she was lying like crazy to herself and everyone around her) she's slowly gaining a sense of humor.

On the other hand, Martin Short, the onetime savior of SCTV, has been stuck doing that stupid "Jiminy Glick" character for the last few years. (He even had a brief daytime talk show where his unfunniness became rampantly obvious.) He needs to do what Robin Williams used to do; go out late at night to comedy clubs with Open Mike Night, try to be funny, bomb continually and get booed, and go through a fall like DeGeneris before he can be funny again.
    Animation and geeky reviews and podcasts at
    Cartoon Geeks (http://www.cartoongeeks.com)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The next funny joke Ellen DeGeneres tells will be her first.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    get hold of - if you can find it -- "Mr. Mike's Mondo Video" for some good old laughs if you like pre 1986 SNL
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With the right drugs (err... or so I hear) some of the Monty Python gang had their moments. The meaning of life. But I always need someone to explian British humor.(Hey another oxymoron "British humor")just kidding. British humor may be iffy, but their rock is great!!!!! THE WHO!!! Sorry just a little flashback. Time for my medicine.
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    THE WHO was canadian

the WHO was british
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    um WHO?

Seriously though who is who. Who did Pinball Wizard. Is that THE WHO or The WHO?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by BJ_M
    get hold of - if you can find it -- "Mr. Mike's Mondo Video" for some good old laughs if you like pre 1986 SNL
    Those were some great years(1975-1986) for SNL.IMO SCTV was the funniest show on TV with the Chappelle show a close second.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You know WHO! I said that I had to take my medicine. The all caps was an act of excitement! And the others were who? JK. I may unintenionaly offend your country, but I would never insult your Rock!
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
  16. u dont think dave chapelle is still funny?
    i think he is one of the only funny ones out there right now
    S-M
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ZAPPER
    You know WHO! I said that I had to take my medicine. The all caps was an act of excitement! And the others were who? JK. I may unintenionaly offend your country, but I would never insult your Rock!
    i meant it as a joke -- the canada band is the "guess who" (Burton Cummings) , who was and is pretty well known and spawned a lot of people (THE BAND is one offshoot, as well as BTO) ...

i wasnt living in canada though at that time ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why couldn't it be DOCTOR WHO?
    as in COMEDIC SCIENCE FICTION SERIES
    Where is the Tardis?

also want to go on record
    SANDLER...-never funny
    MURPHY.....-ONCE FUNNY

the WHO originally called themselves the "HIGH NUMBERS"
    too many bennies perhaps?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I always thought Richard Jeni was pretty funny. Haven't heard anything of his in a while though.
    "There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon." -- Raoul Duke
    Quote Quote  
  20. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    THE WHO was canadian

the WHO was british
    Wasnt it "The Guess Who" that were canadian?Oh just saw your later post,sorry.BTO=Bachman Turner Overweight.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    Those were some great years(1975-1986) for SNL.IMO SCTV was the funniest show on TV with the Chappelle show a close second.
    Funniest TV shows:
    SNL (through Eddie Murphy)
    Monty Python's Flying Circus
    In Living Color
    Quote Quote  
  22. Dave Chappelle is probably the funniest person in the world I can think of.. with only Will Ferrell offering any resistance in my mind. (it's an ongoing battle). I cant believe he's on this list. But I guess to each their own.

Eddy Murphy is without question the biggest leap from funny to not funny.. Compare delerious with the Haunted House.. or whatever his new movie is called.. some people should retire.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by disturbed1
    George Carlin, Cheech and Chong, Sam Kinison, Gallagher, and Larry the Cable Guy. That's funny I don't care who you are.
    Carlin, Cheech & Chong and Kinison all brilliant. But Gallagher ? As was once said - "Gallagher! Only America could produce a comic who ends his show by destroying food with a sledgehammer. Gee, I wonder why we're hated the world over."

I have no idea who Larry the Cable Guy is.

Buddha says that, while he may show you the way, only you can truly save yourself, proving once and for all that he's a lazy, fat bastard.
    Quote Quote  
  24. the guys that always seemed to bring me to the point of tears was Andy Kaufman - esp. his wrestling bit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dave Chapelle didn't belong anywhere near this list. His early stuff was a little mediocre but he has gotten funnier over time.

"I"m Rick James, BITCH!"

That Rick James ep was probably the funniest 22 minutes of TV I have ever seen.
    Quote Quote