VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys, I found you through a Google search. hope I'm posting in the right place.
    I bought a DVD movie and wish to make a backup copy. I was somewhat successful in doing this but the backup copy disc plays the movie with subtitles turn on all the time.

I went through the DVD menu settings to turn OFF the subtitles but still no matter what, it keeps on playing the movie with the subtitles turned on. I thought there might be a glitch in my DVD player, so I gave it to my brother to try it out on his home system. Same problem. How can I correct this?

Here are the instructions I was given to rip my original disc.
    1)
    Downloaded DVD Fab - ripped the full contents onto my hard drive. (used the latest version DVDFab_x64_10076)
    The Audio_TS folder was empty
    The Video_TS folder was about 7.5 GB

2)
    Used DVD Shrink to compress both the Audio_TS and Video_TS folder contents and used the application feature to back it up as ISO file.

3)
    I then used ImgBurn application to extract iso and burn it directly onto a blank DVD.

These steps worked perfectly fine for another DVD movie in my collection but this one seems to be problematic for some reason.

I have three simple questions:

1) The ripped contents are still on my hard drive so I was wondering if there is a file I should modify? Perhaps like a VOB or IFO file?

2) If I cannot correct this problem, I'd like to start over. Is there a better ripping application other than DVD Fab? (And yes, I know how to Google but I'd like to know what some of you prefer to use that has proven to be more accurate than DVD Fab.)

3) These instructions were given to me by someone else. If there is a better procedure (or software), to use I'm interested because this involves 3 different steps. If I can use just 1 software to do it all, that would be better of course. (freeware based - not pay for software).

I am somewhat new to ripping and know only basics. Any tips would be appreciated!

I forgot to mention that in step #2, (DVD shrink software) I unchecked the option to include audio tracks for Spanish and French, and subtitles as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    just quick question, aren't the subtitles hardcoded? I mean if they are not part of picture.
    Just to clarify that you are sure, that subtitles are in separate from video (txt, picture based)
    Edit: you can check it playing VOB file in your favorite player on PC and resize window bit during playing, also you can disable subtitles in SW player as well.
    If subtitles become smaller/bigger as you resizing player window they are most probably part of video.
    Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 28th Dec 2017 at 18:09. Reason: EDIT
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Hi,
    just quick question, aren't the subtitles hardcoded? I mean if they are not part of picture.
    Just to clarify that you are sure, that subtitles are in separate from video (txt, picture based)
    Edit: you can check it playing VOB file in your favorite player on PC and resize window bit during playing, also you can disable subtitles in SW player as well.
    If subtitles become smaller/bigger as you resizing player window they are most probably part of video.
    Bernix
    I just played one of the VOB files with VLC Video lan player and the subtitles do not appear anywhere in the picture/film so it seems that they are not hard coded. So what is the best approach now to fix?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I really don't know why this happened when in DVD Shrink you unchecked all subtitles.
    I found this old thread https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/162189-how-can-i-remove-subtitles-from-vob-file-or-ifo-files
    So maybe some of program mentioned here still work (hopefully), and you can also check if you really unchecked all subtitles in DVD Shrink.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Hi,
    I really don't know why this happened when in DVD Shrink you unchecked all subtitles.
    I found this old thread https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/162189-how-can-i-remove-subtitles-from-vob-file-or-ifo-files
    So maybe some of program mentioned here still work (hopefully), and you can also check if you really unchecked all subtitles in DVD Shrink.

Bernix
    Yes, it is very strange indeed. Again, I'm new to this so I can only make some guesses but perhaps DVD fab didn't rip it correctly?? Or perhaps there was something about the IFO files that "confused" DVD shrink and made it include the subtitles in the final ISO product. I think there's something about the disc (or the encryption inside) because the other movie that I made a backup copy turned out just fine.

I'll check out that thread and see what solutions there may be... thanks for finding it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A quick way to do this, remove the subtitles is to turn the original DVD into a large, non compressed MKV file (container) using MakeMKV. This will put all the contents of your DVD into a MKV file. You can then untick the subs and remux with MKVToolNix - doesn't re-encode or alter quality. If you need a physical disc you can then use this file to author a DVD with any program that accepts mkv files as an input.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    A quick way to do this, remove the subtitles is to turn the original DVD into a large, non compressed MKV file (container) using MakeMKV. This will put all the contents of your DVD into a MKV file. You can then untick the subs and remux with MKVToolNix - doesn't re-encode or alter quality. If you need a physical disc you can then use this file to author a DVD with any program that accepts mkv files as an input.
    Thanks for the suggestions netmask. One question for you: What application you recommend for this?

Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    ...can then use this file to author a DVD with any program that accepts mkv files as an input.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    huh? I told you in my post MakeMKV to make the MKV !!!!
    MKVToolNix to do the removing of tracks you don't want.

DVD Authoring programs - check them out under Tools on this site
    Last edited by netmask56; 4th Jan 2018 at 00:31.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    huh? I told you in my post MakeMKV to make the MKV !!!!
    MKVToolNix to do the removing of tracks you don't want.
    Yes netmask, I understood your original response perfectly. At the end of your post, you said that if I needed a physical disc, quote:

"....can then use this file to author a DVD with any program that accepts mkv files as an input."

The first program you mention (Make MKV) does not have that feature so I am asking you what application you recommend for DVD program that accepts MKV file as an input. Under the DVD authoring category, this site lists 33 different ones. Again, I'm ask you which ones you like or would recommend (preferably freeware based).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have a more recent DVD/BD player then many will play mkv files simply burnt to a blank disc as data. No re-encoding or transcoding losses that happen when authoring a DVD. Where you might run into problems is if any of your BD disc collection has Cinavia protection. This nasty is designed to stop exactly what you want to do ie put a rip of a blu ray disc to a recorded disc. Media Players are not affected. I play all my Blu ray and DVD's off a media player and don't bother with making discs anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  11. There are just two probabilities here: you missed one of the subtitle click boxes when you tried to turn them off before ripping, or DVDfab is mis-reading the disc contents and thinks one of the subtitle files is tagged "forced" (meaning it must display at all times). Have you tried doing the whole thing over again, checking very carefully that absolutely no subtitle options are clicked in either DVDfab or DVDshrink? If so, and you still ended up with the same problem, the above suggestions re MakeMKV and/or DVDstyler should work. As another alternative, the following has always worked for me:

Download the utilities VOB2MPG v2.5 and DVDflick v1.3.0.6 from the VideoHelp tools section. These are older, simpler versions that aren't loaded with adware installers.

Use VOB2MPG to convert the VIDEO_TS folder on your hard drive to a single MPEG2 video file. There is no re-encoding involved, so this only takes a couple minutes (you're basically stripping away all the complex dvd formatting/subs and harvesting just the bare video+audio). The resulting MPG file will be the same size as the VIDEO_TS folder, and named VTS-1.mpg. This MPG file should have all subtitles stripped out of it. You then import this MPG file into DVDflick to re-create a new VIDEO_TS (to be sure no subtitles are inside).

Start up DVDflick. At right you'll see "Add Title" - click this to import the MPG file. Once imported, examine its specs in the DVDflick window: it should read "0 subtitles" at the bottom. If you see a number other than 0, click the Edit Title button at right. In the popup window, click Subtitle Tracks. Select each subtitle track that appears, and click the Remove button at right until the window is empty. Click Accept to return to the main window.

Next, click Edit Title again, then this time click Audio Tracks in the popup. Click Edit, and at the bottom of the next popup click "Ignore Audio Delay". Click Accept, then Accept again.

Click the top Project Settings button, then Playback. Uncheck the "Loop" button (unless you want the dvd to auto-repeat non-stop). Click Use As Default, then Accept (so you'll never need to do this step again).

Click Project Settings again. Select Burning, and make sure both Create ISO image and Burn Project To Disc are unchecked. Click Use As Default, then Accept (so you'll never need to do this step again).

Click Project Settings again, and select General. Choose "Normal" from the encoder menu. Then Choose a disc size from the Target Size menu. Choose DVD (4.3GB) if you imported the DVDshrink version, or if you imported the original DVDfab version and want DVDflick to shrink it for you. Click Accept.

Click Project Settings again, select Video, click Advanced, click Copy MPEG-2 Streams, then Accept.

At the top, click "Create DVD" and DVDflick will encode the new VIDEO_TS folder. This shouldn't take more than 10 to 15 mins, since the MPG file is already DVD-compliant. When DVDflick finishes creating the new AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders, you can burn the VIDEO_TS to a new blank dvd with ImgBurn as usual.

This new dvd should be completely free of subtitles. If it isn't, there is something very wonky in the original DVD that rips inaccurately (preventing subtitle removal).
    Last edited by orsetto; 5th Jan 2018 at 18:12.
    Quote Quote