VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please excuse my noobishness, my first hdtv. I just purchased a brand new lcd 42 inch lcd tv. Its a Vizio and the model # is VW42LHDTV10A. Its great tv for a great price. Supports all formats other than 1080p. I bought a dvd player that does upconversion to the lower end hd formats to watch standard dvds on. I bought this thinking this would upgrade the regular quality of my dvd's. The dvd player I purchased was Phillips DVP3960/37. From what I read these are both hdcp compliant. However, I get a error when tryin to play a dvd saying "Non-Hdcp compliant" and then it will not play any movies. I have all the correct cables, I am using HDMI to HDMI. Are the items I purchased really non HDCP compliant? Or am I just effin this up some how?? Can some one please help?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    goldiebreze,

Looks like the TV itself is OK, for the price. Its a 720p TV (well, really 768p but thats a whole other discusion) that accepts up to 1080i, which it will then downconvert to 720p for display. You'd be able to find similar priced full 1080p TVs with better specs for that price (@US$1000). Or, a similar spec'd (720p) TV for a better price (@US$800).

However, I'm not seeing that the player is HDCP compliant on the three spec listings that I checked out. To be perfectly honest, I hadn't heard of anyone actually using the HDCP flag yet so I'm suprised your even seeing the message. Not seeing too many good reviews on that standalone player. You should dump it if you're still in the return period.

Try setting the player to 720p output...
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks man, I did actually find out it was my dvd player. It isn't hdcp compliant. I dumped it and got a samsung player that is. But tell me, where are u findin 1080p hdtv's for the same price??
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Westinghouse makes a 42 inch 1080p LCD TV that Best Buy is selling for $1099 right now. Whether it's any good or not is something I don't know. I paid $1900 for my 42 inch 1080p Samsung LCD TV last November and it's currently being sold for about $1700 at some places. The Samsung has been a great TV for me. As a general rule for electronics, you get what you pay for and the Westinghouse may have some drawbacks that offset the cheap price, but I don't know. Other than the Westinghouse, I'm not aware of any 42 inch 1080p TVs that cost anything close to what you paid.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    ooops... I posted this in the wrong Non-HDCP Compliant thread....but....I'll keep it here anyway....since my Google Search on my issue lead me to this thread and I have subsequently fixed the issue so it may help someone else...

I know this is an old thread - but for me it was a current issue - I fixed this "display connected non hdcp compliant" issue by:

* Unplugging my Philips DVD Player from the Power Strip
    * Unplugging my TV from the Power Strip
    * Disconnecting my HDMI Cable from both devices
    * Waiting 1 Minute
    * Reconnected and plugged in everything
    * Turned on the TV
    * Placed DVD in the DVD Player - which in turn switched my video source on my TV to the DVD
    * Sound & Picture is back - no more error message.

I have a new Samsung LCD (LN46C630) and an 1 year old Philips DVP3982 DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The Phillips DVP-3960 is HDCP compliant. Some player/TV combinations have difficulty with the handshake though. A full reset like jsplendido described might help. Or updating the firmware of the player or TV.
    Quote Quote