VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!
    I'm making a multimenu VCD with VCDEasy 2.0.1. The VCD has a main menu with 3 different choices. Each choice (1 - 3) will take me to a submenu. Submenu 1 and 2 contains 9 different selections. 1 to 8 for individual videoclips and selection 9 to take me back to the main menu.

Submenu 3 has 6 different selections. 1 - 5 for individual videoclips and here's my question. I want to assign button 9 to take me back to the main menu, like on the other 2 submenus. However this doesn't work, because nothing happends when I press button 9 in submenu 3. I have only tested this on my computer, but I'm assuming it wont work on my standalone DVD either.

It apperas that I can't have buttons with no assignments in VCDEasy. If I assign button 1 to 5 and leave button 6 - 8 blank and assign button 9 to the main menu, then button 9 won't work. But if I assign button 6 so that buttons 1 - 6 have assignments, then everything works perfectly.

Is this a problem with VCDEasy itself or has it something to do with the VCD standard? It's not really a big problem for me but I'm just curious why I can't have buttons with no assignments.

// Znooky
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can have buttons with no assignments. Put 99 buttons on the screen, assign 1 through 10, then try to assign 99. It will turn into #11, leaving the other 88 unassgned.
    Where you put it on the screen is up to you.
    I know that doesn't help
    What I do is put the requred number of buttons, then make (in your case) 6, 7, and 8 invisible, or 1 pixel if necessary.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi reboot and thank you for your fast respond!

I know that I can assign button 1 to 10 and leave the other 88 buttons with no assignment. However if I assign button 1 to 5 and leave button 6 to 8 with no assignment, then it will not work when I assign button 9. It looks like I can't have gaps with no assigment of buttons (e.g. 1 - 5, 9 and so on) in VCDEasy.

I just wondering if this has something to do with the VCD standard or if it's just a VCDEasy problem?

// Znooky
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm really not sure, but I do know that every authoring app I have used, will assign the next logical number to the next active object, no matter how many blanks are inbetween.
    Like I said, to get around this, I assign numbers to all the buttons, then make the one's I don't want invisible, with a link to the menu that's being viewed. If someone accidently pushes an 8 for example, and 8 is not a valid button number for a chapter, it simply redisplays the menu you're looking at now.
    I'm not sure how you would do that in VCDEasy though, I haven't worked with it enough.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanx, I did't think of that I could just assigning unwanted buttons to the menu itself. It's a far better solution than assigning it to a videoclip, like I did.

Thank you reboot for taking time to respond my question.

// Znooky
    Quote Quote