VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How can I format (i.e. erase) a miniDV tape after I have dumped the content down to my computer? I am using Vegas 4.0 and have searched far and wide for a way to do it with no luck. If it matters, I have a Panasonic Palmcorder DV102D.

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. insert into camcorder
    rewind
    record
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought of doing that, but I was kind of hoping there was a way to black out the whole tape without recording the back of the lens cap
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Page #45 of your users manual (PDF), states that you can record form one camcorder to another via i-link connection buy placing the power switch to VCR and Hold down REC and press PLAY. I would assume that if you did this without connecting any other source, you would record a blank picture. This is also the way I blank a tape on my sony TRV-33.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You are talking about 'erasing' a tape. Very few recorders 'erase' any tape. They just record over what is present on the tape. Erasing can be done with a bulk eraser that applies a alternating magnetic field to the magnetic media on the tape. The problem is that some media, like on zip drives, have a format that the bulk eraser can remove, making the media unusable. I would just re-record over what you have on your tape. You don't need to 'blank' it out, you're just wasting your time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do as redwudz says. Just be careful though if your camcorder keeps record a timecode on the tape not to rewing or skip forward between video shoots so that you do not lose your timecode. This information is useful when capturing.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what i do is in adobe premiere, i create a black video. it doesnt matter how long. then hook up the cam via firewire, and play the black video. then hit record. this records a black video on the cam, and also erases the timecode.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Deekkeed
    Page #45 of your users manual (PDF), states that you can record form one camcorder to another via i-link connection buy placing the power switch to VCR and Hold down REC and press PLAY. I would assume that if you did this without connecting any other source, you would record a blank picture. This is also the way I blank a tape on my sony TRV-33.
    If you want to erase the tape as a precautionary measure then method above is the way to go. Simple and foolproof.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    You are talking about 'erasing' a tape. Very few recorders 'erase' any tape. They just record over what is present on the tape. Erasing can be done with a bulk eraser that applies a alternating magnetic field to the magnetic media on the tape. The problem is that some media, like on zip drives, have a format that the bulk eraser can remove, making the media unusable. I would just re-record over what you have on your tape. You don't need to 'blank' it out, you're just wasting your time.
    I guess I should have RTFM... thanks!

Thanks to everyone for your input!
    Quote Quote