VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, Im a total n00b, could anyone tell me the best DV Cam to buy for making my own Short Films?
    chim chimany chim chim, chim chim charoo
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sony DCR-VX2000.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Moved to CamCorders forum
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Buy a Sony Digital8. The tapes are half the price of MiniDV tapes. The optical and digital zoom is higher than a MiniDV. And you can play back older analog 8mm tapes. I have the DCR-TRV740 and I am very happy with it. It originally cost $800 but I have seen them on ebay now for around $400. Just make sure you don't get a low end model because they don't play analog tapes nor do they have analog inputs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But surely, he asked what is the BEST cam. In that case he wouldn't be looking at Digital8, nobody makes one of a high enough spec! If we are talking best, $3000 worth of VX2000 is only a starting point and work your way up from there. Even that is only regarded as semi-pro, add an extra zero (at least) for proper broadcast gear.

If you put a bit more detail into the question, we might be able to give you a bit more specific advice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    While it's possible I doubt he want a $3000 and up cam.

Yes, tell us what you want out of the cam and we can point you in the right direction.
    Quote Quote  
  7. basicly, I have been recording local bands, and my own band for years, but when my band eventualy go on tour I want to record parts of it, and make it into a video for a song.

I have already done this with all my Hi8 Anolog stuff for my old band, and I got it pretty good qaulity. but Digital is obviously better
    chim chimany chim chim, chim chim charoo
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, digital should be better than Hi8, but I suppose the first question that needs answering is how much do you want/can you afford to spend?
    Quote Quote