VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me out here. Frustrating situation.

A friend and I shot a concert the other night. 2 camera shoot. We both shot in HDV. He used a JVC GRD HD(?) and I used the Sony HC1. I first captured all of my shots into Vegas, no problem. I notice that on my lcd it says 1080i.

When I put my friends tape into my camera, it plays fine, however will not show up on the preview screen in Vegas and will not let me capture. I can control the camera from Vegas, but no preview or anything.

Now one thing I noticed, is when I play his tape, on my camera lcd, it says 720p.

My question is, what does this mean, and is there a setting or something I need to make in Vegas?

I did try to use the downconvert function on my HC-1 to output it as DV, but still no preview.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Don't know which cam friend has--consumer GR-HD1 or semipro GR-HD100. If HD100, could (Should) have changed FrameRate setting to 1080i. If HD1, you're stuck with 720p anyway.

Moot point now.

Do you have Vegas v7? You may need to upgrade to be able to handle both stream types correctly (not sure about this). v7 DOES support specifically support both cams.

You'll have to do 1 project with 720p and 1 project with 1080i. Then, you'll have to cross-convert (export) one of those projects to the other's format. Make backups of the projects before importing the converted files.

If you don't mind plunking down some $$$, you could also get AVID Xpress, as it can incorporate both formats on the same timeline (likely one of them native, one not).

If you're having trouble with your friend's media/tape, maybe you should just have him/her load it into their computer with their NLE and export to 1080i, and then give that to you. Shouldn't have any problem then.

HTH,
    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Scott... yes, he has the GR HD1.

Yes, I have Vegas 7. Not sure where I change it to accept 720p though. Any ideas? Thanks very much for your help.

Just wondering...What is the advantage of 1080i vs 720p? Is one any better than the other?

Jeff
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've got Vegas 6 and it allows me to create an HDV 720p project. However, I notice that it defaults to 720p30, not 720p60 (which I believe is what it should be). So change that and see...

If v7 is like v6, you'll want to go to "CaptureVideo" and switch for DV(ext) to HDV(int), then adjust the capture preferences for your particular device, etc.

If the timeline is already corresponding to the type of incoming video, you shouldn't have any problem. However, these are all new paradigms (aka We're all Newbies again).

HTH,
    Scott

Advantages:
    1080i has almost twice the area/resolution per frame--good for fine/detailed stuff.
    720p has equivalent to twice the framerate, cuz each frame is a full frame, not just a field (1/2 frame) as is 1080i--good for action, smooth motion.

So it depends on what you are going to be shooting, and how you want it to look.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just an update. I ended up borrowing my friends camera, the GR-HD1 and Vegas 7 instantly recognized it and I was able to capture. So now I guess the problem is I have one set of video in 1080i, and the other set in 720p. Guess I'll have to render both individually to mpeg2, then bring them together to edit. That the sensible way to do it? Thanks.

Jeff
    Quote Quote  
  6. Not so sure it's sensible to encode to mpeg2 before editing. I'd try to convert one of them to match the other, then edit, then encode. But I think you are on the right track.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Darryl, you're right. That would save me a step.

Jeff
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When you guys say "convert" the video what do you mean? Lets say in my case, I have one set of videos (the wide shots) in 1080i. And I have the closeups (in 720p). Lets assume I want everything to be 1080i. What do I do? I have Vegas 7. Do I just open a project and set it for 1080i and then import the 720p footage then render that? It will then be 1080i?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I've never really dealt with multiple video formats in the same project.

Jeff
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, since it sounds like you have gotten over that 1st biggest hurdle of capturing the other camera's material, you may want to try this (if it'll work):

Just add both 720p and 1080i sections into a 1080i project. It could very well accept both types and resize the one to fit the other. If this works, it will save you time rendering and maintain the quality a little bit more (one less Encode+Decode step).

Otherwise, when we're talking about converting, we mean:

Output to the same resolution and framerate (in this case, 1080i @ 29.97)
    and to the same file format and bitrate (in this case, MPEG2 and ~same bitrate as other 1080i file)
    Audio for both should be the same--16bit, 48kHz, Mpeg1Layer2, 384kbps (we can't have everything, but that's good enough)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Scott. I really appreciate the help.

Jeff
    Quote Quote