VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm not sure if this is posted in the correct place or not...

I recently received a burned DVD copy of a basketball game. When watching it through my DVD player connected to the TV, the quality is not very good. It's jumpy and the images of the players seem to ghost or not be able to keep up. Not smooth.

But, I notice that when I insert it into my PC and right click and open and play the .VOB files, that the quality is very nice - considerably better.

Can anyone explain this please?

Is this an encoding issue or something to do with the speed in which it was burned? I'm learning much of this on the fly.

Can I take those .VOB files and create a better quality DVD?

thanks for any help - much appreciated
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not unknown for dvd players to have issues with burnt dvds. And, yes, possibly burnt at max speed for the media which may not have been good quality in the first place.

Try this:

Copy the entire video_ts folder from the dvd to your hard drive - since it is home burnt you should not have to rip it with specific tools.

Get some good quality blank media such as Verbatim AZO (not life series) and burn that complete folder to disk using imgburn. And burn at no more than half the rated speed of the media. So you burn 16x media at 8x.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks DB. I will give that a try this evening. I appreciate your reply
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Not unknown for dvd players to have issues with burnt dvds. And, yes, possibly burnt at max speed for the media which may not have been good quality in the first place.

Try this:

Copy the entire video_ts folder from the dvd to your hard drive - since it is home burnt you should not have to rip it with specific tools.

Get some good quality blank media such as Verbatim AZO (not life series) and burn that complete folder to disk using imgburn. And burn at no more than half the rated speed of the media. So you burn 16x media at 8x.
    hey DB, any more ideas on this by chance? I've burned it at 4x speed a few different times and still no luck. Someone suggested to me that it may be an interlace (?) issue but I'm not familiar with that. Thanks for any help
    Quote Quote  
  5. What you descibe doesn't sound like interlacing issues. Is the person that recorded/created the DVD in the same country as you? It could be that the TV standard, NTSC or PAL, used to create the disk isn't compatible with your DVD player or TV. Your PC doesn't care about TV standards as it isn't a TV and will play both.

We need more info on the video so try playing the disk on your PC again and trying to find the video properties, or install Mediainfo and open one of the VOB files from the disc. Let us know which country you are in and what the video properties are.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Also, cut a 10 second sample - one with steady movement - so we can have a look. davejavu's advice is also good.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by davejavu View Post
    What you descibe doesn't sound like interlacing issues. Is the person that recorded/created the DVD in the same country as you? It could be that the TV standard, NTSC or PAL, used to create the disk isn't compatible with your DVD player or TV. Your PC doesn't care about TV standards as it isn't a TV and will play both.

We need more info on the video so try playing the disk on your PC again and trying to find the video properties, or install Mediainfo and open one of the VOB files from the disc. Let us know which country you are in and what the video properties are.
    thanks. I'm in the U.S. The video is a 1980's basketball game so the original copy would have had to been made by a U.S. resident. I'd say it's been copied/burned many times and probably by people in other countries. Trading sports games on dvd is an international hobby. If at one time someone outside the U.S. burned it, would that have an effect on the copy if my copy was sourced from that one? The original I'm sure would have been from the U.S.

thank you
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Also, cut a 10 second sample - one with steady movement - so we can have a look. davejavu's advice is also good.
    I can cut from the .VOB which is more steady than the dvd version, but I don't know how I would cut a sample of what the dvd looks like
    Quote Quote  
  9. thanks. I'm in the U.S. The video is a 1980's basketball game so the original copy would have had to been made by a U.S. resident. I'd say it's been copied/burned many times and probably by people in other countries. Trading sports games on dvd is an international hobby. If at one time someone outside the U.S. burned it, would that have an effect on the copy if my copy was sourced from that one? The original I'm sure would have been from the U.S.
    The fact that file plays OK on the PC suggests that there is nothing wrong with the video just that your DVD player doesn't like it. Is the DVD disc a properly authored DVD-Video disc or is it just a VOB file burned as a data disc?

I can cut from the .VOB which is more steady than the dvd version, but I don't know how I would cut a sample of what the dvd looks like
    We don't need to see what it looks like on your TV at this point but being able to examine it and see it's technical characteristics would be useful in trying to diagnose the problem.

Also, did the VOB file come from the same DVD that doesn't work on you TV or from a different source? I got the impression you extracted the VOB from the disc.
    Last edited by davejavu; 15th Sep 2017 at 19:30. Reason: Added last line.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by davejavu View Post
    thanks. I'm in the U.S. The video is a 1980's basketball game so the original copy would have had to been made by a U.S. resident. I'd say it's been copied/burned many times and probably by people in other countries. Trading sports games on dvd is an international hobby. If at one time someone outside the U.S. burned it, would that have an effect on the copy if my copy was sourced from that one? The original I'm sure would have been from the U.S.
    The fact that file plays OK on the PC suggests that there is nothing wrong with the video just that your DVD player doesn't like it. Is the DVD disc a properly authored DVD-Video disc or is it just a VOB file burned as a data disc?

We don't need to see what it looks like on your TV at this point but being able to examine it and see it's technical characteristics would be useful in trying to diagnose the problem.
    Only the .VOB files play good on the PC. If I play the DVD on the PC DVD player it looks like crap.....same as the TV.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  11. the .VOB files are from the DVD that doesn't look good
    Quote Quote  
  12. sorry, yes it's a properly authored DVD disk.

I even took the .VOB files and properly authored a DVD disk just to make sure....and it comes out looking jumpy like....
    Quote Quote  
  13. OK. That doesn't make a lot of sense especially as you have reauthored from a working VOB file. Definitely need a sample from the working VOB or at least some technical info from Mediainfo.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by davejavu View Post
    OK. That doesn't make a lot of sense especially as you have reauthored from a working VOB file. Definitely need a sample from the working VOB or at least some technical info from Mediainfo.
    I used IMGBurn as suggested above. Burned the folders to disk. Maybe that is not the correct way to author a dvd (?) I'm admittedly amateur in this field

thanks for the help
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by redmenhoops View Post

I used IMGBurn as suggested above. Burned the folders to disk. Maybe that is not the correct way to author a dvd (?)
    ImgBurn isn't an authoring program, it's a burning program.

Authoring is the process of taking the DVD assets (M2V video, AC3 or other audio, chapters, subs, if applicable) and making a compliant DVD of them all. For example, if you demuxed your current DVD using PGCDemux and then re-added all the different pieces into Muxman, you'd get a properly authored DVD out the other end. You might try that, followed by playing the reauthored DVD in your PC DVD player (play the DVD and not the VOBs) before burning again to disk using ImgBurn and testing on your television. Maybe use a rewriteable DVD if you have one, to test, before burning it 'for good'.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by redmenhoops View Post

I used IMGBurn as suggested above. Burned the folders to disk. Maybe that is not the correct way to author a dvd (?)
    ImgBurn isn't an authoring program, it's a burning program.

Authoring is the process of taking the DVD assets (M2V video, AC3 or other audio, chapters, subs, if applicable) and making a compliant DVD of them all. For example, if you demuxed your current DVD using PGCDemux and then re-added all the different pieces into Muxman, you'd get a properly authored DVD out the other end. You might try that, followed by playing the reauthored DVD in your PC DVD player (play the DVD and not the VOBs) before burning again to disk using ImgBurn and testing on your television. Maybe use a rewriteable DVD if you have one, to test, before burning it 'for good'.
    as stated, amateur skills here......PGCDemux too much for me to comprehend. Downloaded it....foreign from there

thanks anyway
    Quote Quote  
  17. I have all the 'parts' (I think) within two folders - VIDEO_RM and VIDEO_TS........ has ifo files, etc

I just make reference to .vob files because that's what I open to view the better quality version.

Is there an easy way to take these two folders and author a dvd?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Well, you can author a DVD from VOBs using IFOEdit, but it's inferior to the DVD Muxman will create for you. Inside the VIDEO_TS folder you have IFO, BUP and VOB files, right? If so, open the IFO for the main video in PGCDemux. It'll show you the length, to confirm you did it correctly. Then follow the picture below to extract the audio, video and chapters. The celltimes.txt is the chapters by 29.97fps frame number. Give it a destination and hit 'Process'.

The poor quality of your DVD is perhaps related to the fact it was created by a DVD recorder. This might fix that.
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  19. you're talkin over my head with that sh*t man....but thanks for trying.

I'm just gonna try to upload (mp4) to YouTube, then grab it with WondershareAllMyTube and see what it looks like.
    Quote Quote  
  20. well, I found an easy to use dvd author program - DVD Styler.

The first error that came up was a message about a bad BUP file. I X'd out of the message and it kept processing.

Then, much later in the process I got the following errors

tart preview
    Executing command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --started-from-file dvd:///C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\dvd-out
    [0108627c] core libvlc: one instance mode ENABLED
    [0108627c] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 5.0.3
    libdvdread: Could not open C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\dvd-out with libdvdcss.
    libdvdread: Can't open C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\dvd-out for reading
    libdvdread: Device C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\dvd-out inaccessible, CSS authentication not available.
    libdvdnav: Unable to open device file C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\dvd-out.
    libdvdnav: vm: dvd_read_name failed
    libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00000000. Regions: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    [0387932c] core input error: ES_OUT_RESET_PCR called
    [0376d334] freetype spu text error: Breaking unbreakable line
    Formatting DVD-RW
    Executing command: dvd+rw-format -force E:
    * BD/DVDñRW/-RAM format utility by <appro@fy.chalmers.se>, version 7.1.
    mounted media doesn't appear to be DVDñRW, DVD-RAM or Blu-ray
    Burning
    Disc size: 4488 MB
    ISO Size: 4316 MB
    Executing command: growisofs -V "DVD" -dvd-compat -Z E: -dvd-video "C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\dvd-out" -speed=4
    Executing 'C:\Program Files (x86)\DVDStyler\bin\mkisofs.exe -V DVD -dvd-video C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\dvd-out | builtin_dd of=\\.\E: obs=32k seek=0'
    0.23% done, estimate finish Sun Sep 17 02:28:28 2017
    \\.\E:: "Current Write Speed" is 3.1x1352KBps.
    resuming track#1 from LBA#480
    the LUN appears to be stuck writing LBA=17130h, keep retrying in 30ms
    :-[ WRITE@LBA=17130h failed with SK=3h/WRITE ERROR]: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
    write failed: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
    \\.\E:: flushing cache
    \\.\E:: updating RMA
    \\.\E:: closing disc
    mkisofs: Broken pipe. cannot fwrite 32768*1
    Failed

Any ideas what this is and how to fix it? Prior to getting to this point, the program let me preview the video even though it wasn't finished yet and the quality looked really good....but it wouldn't burn to disk because of the above Failed message. Thanks for any ideas
    Quote Quote  
  21. In DVDStyler you can preview the resulting DVD before burning it after encoding & authoring is done. Preview is done with VLC and in your case VLC can't open he resulting file(s). Try opening the folder C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\dvd-out and see what files are in there or attach the file C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\dvdstyler.log to a post.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    In DVDStyler you can preview the resulting DVD before burning it after encoding & authoring is done. Preview is done with VLC and in your case VLC can't open he resulting file(s). Try opening the folder C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\dvd-out and see what files are in there or attach the file C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\dvdstyler.log to a post.
    I went back and dragged only the .vob and .ifo files into the program (left out the bup file) .... and it went through! successful burn. Not sure if I selected the correct audio format though. Seems ok though. Thanks everybody!
    Quote Quote