VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, I have being roped into to filming and editing our schools 2 hour production I have had so many problems I am about to say it is good enough but it bugs me I have spent so long and it won't go out how I would like, so search for an answer for someone who knows, cos I have no idea.
    In photoshop I have created a very basic menu with a background photo and text as layers for buttons for each scene with a play all and photos button. I imported it into encore cs6 set all the buttons up exactly the same (I chose the number order, normal type, only checked "create text subpicture") 19 buttons work perfectly but for some reason 3 buttons don't work on preview or on the dvd player, they are set up exactly the same. There numbers in the order are 19,20 and 21. You cant selected with a mouse or use the arrows to click on them in preview and on the remote it just doesn't move from the button it is currently highlighting. Any ideas, I have tired from scratch, deleting the layers and retyping them, playing with all the different buttons nothing works on the preview or dvd but it looks like its a button when you click on the show highlighted buttons. Hope someone has a clue what to do next as my final solution is going to be to deleted the button options that don't work.

Thanks for your help.Click image for larger version

Name:	screanshot.gif
Views:	866
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	28654
    Quote Quote  
  2. Maybe because the max buttons you can have on a DVD menu is 18.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As above.

For a 4:3 dvd you can have IIRC 24 buttons.

Looking at the menu, some content is outside the 'safe' area. Might not display properly on all equipment.

But best to split your menu on to two pages and bring the content within the 'safe' area.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Nice design, though.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks I was worried it might be something like that but like the whole process I didn't know it - I should have visited sooner. I have made the last few scenes one button and that has solved the problem and edged in the text.
    This project has taken me ages to work out as you can't put hd video on to a dvd, I can't understand why dvds are still around since so many people have hd cameras and tv's, you think it would be replaced by some chip device then I won't have to strink the quality so much it is so sad to see the quality on the dvd player after seeing the hd uncompressed footage on the pc.
    For other newbies my experimenting gave the best results by exporting a pal (because in NZ) mpeg-dvd in premier pro and not using the dynamic link to encore, i kept the widescreen (720*576, 25fps, Progressive vbr, 2 pass, min 2.80, target 5, max 7 mbs). It took 33 hours to render, its nearly 2 hours long but only 13 mins from encore now , although this was when I still had to go back and play.

Thanks - I am all finished now yeah!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well for HD dvds HAVE been replaced.

I seem to recall that they are called Blu-ray

33 hours really does seem to be a rather long time to convert.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    For a 4:3 dvd you can have IIRC 24 buttons.
    It's 36 buttons actually.
    For an anamorphic 16:9 menu those 36 buttons need to be spread across at least 2 display modes, so the number of buttons one can use in the menu halves to 18. In case all 3 display modes are allowed for the menu (wide, Letterbox, Pan & Scan), only 12 buttons can be used (36/3=12).

Originally Posted by SarahK View Post
    (720*576, 25fps, Progressive vbr, 2 pass, min 2.80, target 5, max 7 mbs).
    I know you're done with this now, but 7 MBit/s maximum bitrate is unnecessarily conservative and depending on how hard to encode your content is this limits the picture quality in very bitrate hungry parts to some degree. If you're using standard stereo audio in the range of 192-256 KBit/s, you can use a maximum of 9.2 MBit/s without any issues (and even with 9.2 there is still a slight safety margin). In my experience downscaled HD stuff is always very demanding on the maximum bitrate, so you wanna make use of everything you can.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!