VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am having problems with the DivX 6.8 codec and the XviD codec on the same machine.

When I try to play an XviD in WMP 6.4, it tries to go to the internet and download a decompressor but then plays the file anyway. With or without the XviD codec.

I wasn't able to open XviD files in Gif Movie Gear until I uninstalled the XviD codec and now they open fine.

Virtualdub will open my XviD files without the XviD codec because DivX 6.8 is decompressing the video. That would be fine but I can't encode to XviD and I can't Direct Stream Copy or Smart Render XviD files without the XviD codec.

Is there any way to stop DviX 6.8 from trying to decompress my XviD files? I don't want to uninstall the DivX 6.8 codec since I like the speed that it will encode at but it causes all kinds of conflicts with other codecs. I have the option for decoding generic mpeg 4 unticked but it tries to decode these files anyway and when the XviD codec is installed, I have it set to open DivX 3, 4 and 5 but the DivX 6.8 codec seems to overrides those settings. Virtualdub will use the XviD codec to decompress but some other programs want to use the DivX codec.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    afaik the divx decoder decodes xvid files just as well as the xvid decoder. virtualdub uses vfw codecs which use fourcc code to identify the codec. most other programmes use direct show codecs- you can force use of xvid codec if you wish by using a program such as radlight filter manager.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, it fixed the problem of media player trying to download a codec but as long as I have the XviD codec on my machine, Gif Movie Gear refuses to open an XviD file, giving me an error message that I need an XviD codec but if I remove the XviD codec, Gif Move Gear opens the XviD file with no problem. If I remove the DivX codec then Gif Movie Gear refuses to open DivX files, even though I have the XviD codec set to open DivX files.

Gif Movie Gear cannot see the XviD codec at all so I can't uninstall the DivX codec but I have to uninstall the XviD codec every time I want to work with a DivX or XviD file in Gif Movie Gear. Wish there was an on/off switch that I could use for the XviD codec.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Have you tried configuring Xvid and Divx decoding options?

Start -> All Programs -> Xvid -> Configure Decoder -> FourCC Support

Start -> All Programs -> Divx -> Divx Codec -> Decoder Configuration Utility -> Support decoding of Generic MP4 Video
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried configuring Xvid and Divx decoding options?
    Yes, that's how I knew that the DivX codec had control. No matter what settings I tried the DivX codec overrode the XviD codec. I've fixed that problem with the Radlight Filter Manager but I can't fix the XviD problem in Gif Movie Gear.

As long as I don't have the Xvid codec installed but have the DivX codec installed, Gif Movie Gear will open XviD files but the second that install the XviD codec, Gif Movie Gear stops opening XviD files with an error message that I need to install an XviD codec.

The more I experiment, it doesn't seem like a conflict after all because Movie Gear won't open XviD files with the XviD codec installed and the DivX codec not installed. It will only open XviD files with the DivX codec and refuses to see the XviD codec.

I had never been able to open Xvid files at all before and after emailing the guy at Gif Movie Gear, he stated that I should be able to open the files and only after uninstalling the XviD codec did I accidentally find out that I can in fact open XviD files. I just can't open them with the XviD codec which I need to encode XviD files.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The problem is solved.

The creator of Gif Movie Gear released a new version that fixed a bug that prevented XviD files from opening with the XviD codec installed.

Here's the new release (4.2) for anyone who wants to upgrade (free for owners of version 3 and 4) or wants to try a pretty good Gif program free for 30 days...

http://www.gamani.com/gmgdown.htm
    Quote Quote