VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i dont know if this is a legitimate post for these forums but i have had some great help in the past so here goes....i want to listen to my music from my pc in other rooms.
    my audio source will be my home pc (the output jack on the back of soundcard)
    i want to switch this source between my desktop speakers and a pair of speakers wired into the celling in another room . which products should i be looking at in regards to switching between speakers?
    the speakers will be celling mounted in the bathroom know any good sites for waterproofs?
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Depends:

Most desktop computer speakers have integrated amplifiers (only the VERY CHEAPEST pc speakers are passive/unamplified), so you would also need amplification for the other room's speakers.

Wire the OR ("Other Room") speakers through ceiling/around baseboards until it gets to the computer area.
    Get an amp that accepts "bare wire" speaker connections (the usual--assuming that's the kind of speakers you're gonna use). Make sure it has std. consumer line inputs (-10dbm/RCA). This could be a separate amp only, or as part of a receiver/HT system. Put it near the computer also.

Then get one of those cables that is stereo miniphono on one end (like what would plugin into the sound card's speaker jack) and Y'd to 2 RCA plugs on the other end (red & white).

Then get a sound card speaker switch--something like this Radio Shack item: http://www.radioshack.com/sm-computer-headphone-speaker-switch--pi-2049682.html

Its plug will go into the sound card. Jack 1 will go accept the plug from the computer desktop speakers. Jack 2 will accept the plug from the Y cable. Switch back and forth.

HTH,
    Scott

>>>>>>
    edit: there are lots of places for waterproof speakers. do a google search. same for the amp. ebay's good.
    Quote Quote  
  3. An FM transmitter might be easier.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you can put up with the high distortion levels of LowPower FM transmitters, that's a good idea. Then you can "broadcast" to a number of areas.

Problem there is you still have to have a "FM receiver" (with power & cabling) and Amplifier (with power and cabling) for each speaker setup.
    You could conceivably have individual batttery-powered FM-receiving speakers (although, how would you set which of the L/R to use?), but you sure would be going through alot of batteries that way.

Scott

>>>>>>
    edit: May want to look into "structured wiring" setups downstream of the HT amplifier for multiple rooms.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well, he seemed to be talking about a single remote location, and since he probably can't drive unpowered speakers from his sound card he could just use a radio at the other end.

I suspect something like this is more than he what's to invest in:

http://www.home-technology-store.com/RD-CAA66LW.aspx?ID=2613

Maybe something like these:

http://www.hometech.com/audio/spswitch.html#OE-IW101
    Quote Quote