VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have one of my Hard drives with hundreds of ISO files on them. Somehow, some of them don't have the proper security permissions assoc. with the files. My op sys is XP home ed so if I start up in safe mode I can access the security tab which indicates no ownership. I can than claim the file and grant it permissions so I can access it.

Since there are so many files on the disk and since this process is time consuming to find the ones without access and to change each one individually, I was wondering if there was a bulk method to do this or if there was a program that had the function to change these over all at once.

The files all are playable by my media players but are locked when the disk is connected to my computer. Any help would be appreciated.

A secondary question would be how was it that these files lost their ownership qualities.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you are logged in as admin you should be able to take "ownership" of the entire drive at once. right click on the drive letter, properties/security/owner. there may be check box to also cover folders and subfolders i can't recall.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am logged on as admin and the security tab indicates all controls checked. However, some of the files just aren't checked
    and they only respond if individually checked. I did find a program FJXPFileSecExt_1_2_ that enables me to change the ownership of the files without having to startup in safe mode.

It only occurs on this drive and seems to only have affected about 20% of the files. In some cases just changing the name of a file will make it loose its ownership check marks.

It is confusing.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have no idea if this will help cal_tony or not but as people on the internet are always finding old threads when they search about problems, I think it's worth posting this anyway. If you are Unix/Linux savvy then you can install Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com) and use the chown command to do this. Or write a shell or Perl script to do it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to all who have helped. Since iI am running XP home ed, the program I previously mentioned(FJXPFileSecExt_1_2_) allowed me to right click on the drives folders and files without first going to safe mode. That made a big difference. Since even though I had a lot of files I only had them in a few folders. I ended up by creating new folders. Moving the files into the new folders. Deleting the old folders and finally right clicking on the drive and assigning all the ownership to the drive. With the old files gone it all worked out fine.

So, thanks very much.
    And since I am a file download junkie, I did download the files mentioned

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Unlocker is a great program to have around. It comes in handy for stubborn files that refuse to be deleted also.
    Quote Quote