VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, i dont understand whats going on.Im encoding a movie at CRF @ 14, when it starts encodeing the FPS is above 60, but after like 2 mins to drops to like 11 FPS....WHYYYY is that? is it a encode proeblem(x264) or is it my cpu(no likely).

Also im not riunning anything demanding in the background while the encoder is encoding

Plz help
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm using both Handbrake and XviD4PSP and in both cases I also start out strong, well over 60 fps but that declines as it progresses.
    I left my laptop on last night and set power management to none. I set up a batch in Handbrake. I had 4 mkv files to encode and when I went to bed at 1:00 AM I was at 75fps. I figured all 4 movies would complete in a couple of hours and I'd be done. When I came back in the morning at 7:00, only one had completed and my FPS was down to 7.

I waited 2 more hours for the second to complete and then ended it.
    Then I put one movie in Xvid4PSP and ran it to see if it would work better than handbrake. Again I started around 70Fps but now as I'm 87% complete I have declined all the way to 6.5 fps.
    My task manager shows XviD$PSP at around 30% and ax264.exe at about 40%.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Some frames compresses faster than others. For example, totally black frames compress much more quickly than highly detailed moving shots. Movies often start with a fade from black, static logos, and static titles. So it's not unusual for the frame rate to drop once the actual movie starts. Your drop from 75 fps to 7 fps does seem excessive though.

How does CPU usage compare when starting and later when slowed? What about memory usage?
    Quote Quote  
  4. And what is the CPU speed and temps both starting and when slowed? Overheating and CPU throttling might be another possiblilty, especially on a laptop. Not all power management settings are necessarily accessible through the OS (You might have to go into the BIOS)

Also, were you using 1pass CRF encoding ?

The OP was using CRF encoding (I'm assuming 1pass) , but if you're using multipass encoding , the 1st pass is usually much faster (as an analysis pass) unless you specifically specify --slow-firstpass settings . So with multipass encoding your observations might be "normal" depending on the settings used
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 20th Oct 2013 at 18:09.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I just booted to my BIOS and I didn't see any power management options in there. I'll check my power profile to make sure it's not throttling the CPU. *UPDATE I don't see anything that throttles my CPU in the power management.
    Last edited by swing4thefence; 21st Oct 2013 at 00:22.
    Quote Quote  
  6. check your cpu temperatures during encoding in example using CoreTemp (modern cpus will throttle by itself, no bios setting)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Just looked at your profile:
    AMD FX-8150 8 Core OC - 4.7 ghz
    Overheating, CPU throttling.
    Quote Quote  
  8. That's a desktop for the OP, the 2nd post is a laptop
    Quote Quote