VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello as the topic states im trying to encode to x265 10 bit with handbrake but shortly after starting the queue it finishes with error and encodes nothing. Anyone know what im doing wrong? Just recently Handbrake started to support 10 bit and i found out some instructions here https://mattgadient.com/2016/02/15/how-to-10-bit-x264-and-10-12-bit-x265-encodes-with-...linux-windows/ But cant get it to work. Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake can't do 10bit, end of story.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I suppose your a developer working on the team building the program right? If you dont got anything helpful to say go Troll somewhere else, because if you knew what the hell you were talking about you would know the official site says they support it. https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=34165
    Quote Quote  
  4. What OS are you using? What HandBrake version? Where did you get the 10 bit x265 library and how did you attempt to "install" it?

I'm on Win 7 x64, installed HandBrake 1.0.7 64 bit, got libx265_main10.dll here (also attached to this post) and put it in the same folder as the handbrake.exe. Started up HandBrake, selected the 10 bit x265 encoder and started the encode. It just worked no problem.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Im using Windows 10 64 Bit and i got the files from the official x265 10 Bit Handbrake forums that i linked. I downloaded the lastest Nightly Build and HandBrake-20170414-5dd46e3_x86_64-Win_GUI
    and put the libx265 files into the main directory of the program.I then choose the X265 10 Bit option from the drop down menu in handbrake and chose the options that i wanted, but shortly after trying to encode it showed these errors in the log and stopped.

x265 [error]: Lookahead depth must be greater than the max consecutive bframe count
    x265 [error]: max consecutive bframe count must be 16 or smaller
    x265 [error]: Aq-Strength is out of range
    Quote Quote  
  6. Did you set any of the "Extra Options" for x265? If so it sounds like the log already told you what you have to fix exactly.
    If not I'd report to the devs.

https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/issues
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Nope didnt set any extra options but weird thing is if i try to encode to just x265 not 10 bit i run into no problems at all.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I guess you need to use an additional x265 DLL of the same interface version as the built-in encoder in Handbrake; if not, the encoder core in the DLL will misinterpret the set of parameters passed by the encoder in Handbrake. Well possible you may have to go back in history and try different older DLL versions until one matches.

And I believe you have to use the "Extra Options" at least to add "-D 10". Except the encoder selection supports that already.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    I guess you need to use an additional x265 DLL of the same interface version as the built-in encoder in Handbrake; if not, the encoder core in the DLL will misinterpret the set of parameters passed by the encoder in Handbrake. Well possible you may have to go back in history and try different older DLL versions until one matches.
    That may be true but I tested the nightly he mentioned as well as 1.0.7 stable. They work with the dll I posted.

Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    And I believe you have to use the "Extra Options" at least to add "-D 10". Except the encoder selection supports that already.
    It's not needed. HandBrake lists the 10 bit x265 as an extra encoder so you just have to select it in the drop-down menu.

No idea why his settings are seemlingly different. Maybe there's some old, broken preset still lying around? I'd try to de-install HandBrake and clean all registry/AppData/Program Folder storage it uses and then do a clean, new install. Maybe that helps.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Ive tried the nightly build and normal version (both latest versions) still the problem exists. Even tried it out on my laptop too still get a error. Is there a specific profile setting needed to get x265 10 bit to work aside from picking it in the drop down menu?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I can reproduce the error only if I download an older .dll. So it would be like LigH suspected and .dll and HandBrake version don't fit together. Notice that in the HandBrake forum thread there are multiple versions. You have to scroll down to the latest/bottom post and use that one (which is the one I attached in post #4).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Awesome that solved the problem. Looks like i was using a old lib file from 2016 that was causing the problem. Thank you everyone for the help =)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Handbrake, VDub, & MeGUI tjack360's Avatar
    Maryville, Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Zero-11 View Post
    Handbrake can't do 10bit, end of story.
    Wrong!!! LOL!
    Toshiba DX1215, Intel Core i5-2410 CPU 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home 64-Bit OS
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Now this gloating was helpful in which way?!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by cloudxkillah View Post
    I suppose your a developer working on the team building the program right? If you dont got anything helpful to say go Troll somewhere else, because if you knew what the hell you were talking about you would know the official site says they support it. https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=34165
    Technically he's right. straight from the Handbrake website:

https://handbrake.fr/news.php

- High bit depth encoding support via external shared libraries (video pipeline is still 8-bit 4:2:0)
    - x264 10-bit
    - x265 10-bit and 12-bit
    They admit that internally, the video pipeline is still 8-bit 4:2:0, so let's assume you have a 16-bit half float 4:4:4 source (which would be a very high quality source) and you wanted to output 10-bit x264, it would "step down" your source to 8-bit 4:2:0 then feed it to libx264 and it in turn would encode it as 10-bit. There are some times when encoding an 8-bit source as 10-bit results in slightly higher quality compared to encoding to 8-bit, because of the higher precision of the calculations, but in all honesty Handbrake is bush league, strictly amateur hour.

If you want a properly done 10-bit encode, use an ffmpeg built with libx264 and libx265 support.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Handbrake, VDub, & MeGUI tjack360's Avatar
    Maryville, Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe
    Search Comp PM
    I wasn't being helpful at all. I was laughing at someone who was so sure they knew that Handbrake didn't support 10bit x265 & they had the audacity to be smug about it. I found it funny. So, sue me. LMAO!
    Toshiba DX1215, Intel Core i5-2410 CPU 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home 64-Bit OS
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tjack360 View Post
    I wasn't being helpful at all. ...
    No, just a FRAKHEAD IDIOT NOOB who is going to be completely ignored by any knowledgeable user from now on.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Handbrake, VDub, & MeGUI tjack360's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    Originally Posted by tjack360 View Post
    I wasn't being helpful at all. ...
    No, just a FRAKHEAD IDIOT NOOB who is going to be completely ignored by any knowledgeable user from now on.
    Noob? I've been encoding videos since 2002. Calm down, dude. Did you notice how I didn't insult anyone with name calling, unlike you? I just laughed at someone who made an uninformed comment months ago. BTW, I am far from an idiot. You don't know me so, don't presume that you do. Good grief!

This problem has been solved so, why is this thread even open in the first place? Go encode a video & stop over reacting. LOL!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by cloudxkillah View Post

x265 [error]: Lookahead depth must be greater than the max consecutive bframe count
    x265 [error]: max consecutive bframe count must be 16 or smaller
    x265 [error]: Aq-Strength is out of range

I put this in More Settings
    Code:
     pmode:rd=4:tu-intra-depth=3:rdoq-level=2:early-skip:b-intra:limit-modes:aq-mode=2:aq-strength=1.0:qg-size=16:ipratio=1.38:pbratio=1.28:me=3:max-merge=3:weightb:bframes=6:rc-lookahead=50:ref=6:psy-rdoq=1.38:no-sao
    This fix first 2 errors.
    But i have x265 [error]: Aq-Strength is out of range

I try to encoding 4K video 50GB size ....
    Last edited by Mikorist; 31st Oct 2017 at 12:52.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    No clue ... aq-strength=1.0 is actually the default value (see docs), so why not omitting this?

After all, Handbrake was not made to be the optimal tool for people who need more than only the most vital options.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Not work whatever you put in for aq-strength. When encoding big 4K video.

Issue reported
    https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/issues/970
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    try on small part use aq=2:1.00 if it works under handbrake I also noticed, that in presets there is strength before type of aq, but it doesnt matter I suppose.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  23. Thanks!

Works like a charm in OSX .

HandBrake Version 20170629161315-6554c6a-master

Have no idea why not work in linux
    Quote Quote  
  24. they figure out why

HandBrake 1.0.7 uses x265 version 2.1. Your build:

x265 [info]: HEVC encoder version 1.9
    i update manually x265 10bit to version 2.1

https://bitbucket.org/multicoreware/x265/downloads/
    Last edited by Mikorist; 31st Oct 2017 at 16:36.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    Well, there are more (semi-) professional converters than Handbrake (like StaxRip or MeGUI or Hybrid) which would have updated x265 already by now...
    Quote Quote