VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry to be nieve but why when I stream a video file (MKV/MP4 with 5.1 track) from my WD Mycloud drive to my BD player or Firestick, the 5.1 audio doesnt play correctly, it only plays through the front speakers. The WD Mycloud is connected to my router which in turn is connected to the BD Player/Firestick/TV by a cat6 cable. Its not a hardware issue as other direct sources connected are fine.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It sounds like the WD Mycloud is downmixing to stereo. See if there's a setting for that. Look for an audio passthru mode.

Are you using a media server or just accessing files via shared folder?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the response, I am accessing files via a shared folder (using VLC browser). Is there a way to make my WDCloud a media server ??
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by efiste2 View Post
    I am accessing files via a shared folder (using VLC browser).
    In that case it would be VLC that's downmixing to stereo. Check its audio settings. Change it to Digital Audio Output (Passthrough).

Originally Posted by efiste2 View Post
    Is there a way to make my WDCloud a media server ??
    As I understand it the MyCloud includes the Plex media server.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Swapping the settings in VLC hasnt worked......Please excuse my nievity, but if I use Plex do I also need the plex app on my BD Player/Firestick, and then play the media thorugh Plex as oppose to VLC
    Quote Quote  
  6. Plex can serve using it's own proprietary protocol to a Plex client, and it can act as a DLNA server to any DLNA client. So yes, you will need to run the Plex client or a DLNA media player on the TV or Firestick. In my experience the DLNA server didn't work well.
    Quote Quote