VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi folks,

I am a relative newbie to video conversion and I would like some advice in relation to an issue I'm having with the 4Media DVD to Mp4 Convertor (http://www.mp4converter.net/dvd-to-mp4-converter-win.html) (which seems to be almost exactly the same as the Xilisoft convertor).

I am converting DVDs at the highest possible quality setting. When I convert PAL DVDs there is no problem, the conversion is fine. However, when I try and convert a R1 NTSC DVD I get problems.

Initially, the audio was out of sync. I did a little bit of research online and discovered that if you uncheck 'Detect Progressive 24hz' then the problem should be solved. Sure enough, when this was unchecked the audio went back into sync. However, a new problem arose in that there was a slight stutter in the finished file, it was very faint, but there was a discernable jerk to the video. I was advised by the tech support that if I checked 'Force Progressive 24hz' then the problem would be solved. I followed their advice but it didn't work. I was then advised to manually change the frame rate to 23.976, 24, 25, 29.976 or 30, which I duly did, but to no avail. The change in settings didn't affect the jerking in the output video. The only other advice offered was to uninstall and then reinstall the programme ... this didn't work either.

Just to reiterate, this problem only occurs with R1 NTSC DVDs when the output is set to the maximum quality.

Can anyone advise how to get rid of the jerking in the final file? Thanks in advance for any responses; your patience with a newbie is greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All NTSC videos, or only some ? (R1 should not make a difference)

NTSC DVDs could be 23.976 or 29.97 fps depending on the source and the encoding. It is usually during framerate conversion that you get sync problems or stuttering. G-spot the offending discs and look at the framerates.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there, thank you for your quick response.

Having dug around a little in these forums I have already used GSpot on three of the offending DVDs. The frame rates were 23.97. I manually reset the frame rate in the DVD to MP4 Convertor to match this but the video was still jerky. The problem is with all the NTSC DVDs I have tried thus far.

Many thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Honestly, I have always been wary of the many cheap video converters - xilisoft being high on the list, along with the likes of winAVI. Actual knowledge of video doesn't seem to be a pre-requisite to work for these companies as a coder, and the results are always disappointing to anyone who cares about quality. The only people who seem to use these programs without complaint are people who wouldn't know quality if it came out of the swamp and bit their face off.

There are many free alternatives that generally produce much better quality. The only thing they tend to lack is big bright happy buttons.

If you are doing general H.264 encoding you might consider WinFF or Handbrake, or if you are willing to pay, the commercial version of FairUseWizard, which deos the whole DVD->MP4 thing for you.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much for your advice. To be honest, I suspected that the software might be a little bit ropey ... I will investigate some of the options that you mentioned and hopefully all will be well. In the meantime thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guns1inger,

I tried the different methods you suggested and I found that Handbrake was the most effective for my purposes. However, another slight problem has arisen that you might be able to shed some light on.

I am converting my DVDs to MP4 files so I can load them into an iTunes library for easy access. When I converted the DVD in Handbrake I could view it in Windows Media Player 11, but it played very badly in VLC and didn't load at all into iTunes. I encoded the video at 2500 kbps with an audio bitrate of 320 kbps (48khz). The audio codec was ACC + AC3 and the video format was H.264. I'm sure the fault lies with me. Is it the case that I should be using the Mpeg 4 video format instead?

Many thanks in advance for any help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I believe that AC3 is not allowed in the mp4 container, however you might want to confirm that. I use videora for most of my H.264 conversions, as the target is an iPod. You could give that a try, but I don't believe it will allow for bitrates that high, as iPods won't play them anyway.

I will say that you are the first person I have met who does not use an Apple computer and believes iTunes is an easy way to organise and access content.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,

Thanks for that. I will try to convert again using ACC only and see how I get on.

To be honest I use iTunes mainly for my music and I just thought that it would be convenient to play my movies through it also. On the other hand if you could recommend a decent alternative I would be very grateful.

Thanks for everything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    XVID4PSP is a good freeware program that can do DVD to MP4 although I find it is sometimes better to make the D2V yourself when the source DVD is NTSC as it doesn't always correctly recognize a progressive 23.976fps NTSC and will make a 29.970fps D2V and then try to deinterlace or IVTC it when it could have been done at 23.976fps to begin with.

Otherwise it is a great program.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote