VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vol.2 View Post
    my PV-S4990. It's a SVHS machine somewhat similar to the AG-1980.
    Nope. But it may sorta-kinda be similar, maybe, to the older AG-1960. In general, it's just an ancient VCR that's too old for digitizing tasks. The AG-1970 was better than 1960, but still very degraded compared to 1980.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  2. do you replace the belts when doing a refurb?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hey Deter,

My repaired units are going strong! Wondering if you've ever messed with the NV-FS200 series (PAL equivalent). I need to pick up a PAL VCR. Figured this might be the best option, but wanna see if anyone over here is working on them. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I’m new here, but I’m old and don’t know what I’m doing. So, if this is posted in the wrong place…..well…I’m old and stupid!

I have a Panasonic 1980p VCR that I bought new back in the 90’s. I need to get it repaired. If anyone here can help, please let me know, but I probably won’t be able to find your response!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Deter's repair shop is temporary closed. Have 8 or 9 units which have been put on delay until February / March and not accepting any new units at this time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hey Deter, happy new year! Hope you can make it through your backlog without much issue :P

I picked up a NV-HS950B PAL unit. Wondering if you'd be interested in refreshing it. Has some nasty audio issues, tracking crackles on HIFI only. Would love to be put into your queue.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    nicholasserra, I don't do PAL units, try cleaning the video heads or using another tape.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Back open again however the flat rate of repairs on AG units has just increased to $525, the costs have gone up and on the last batch it was not very profitable. So all units sent in from this point forward are a flat $525 for the repairs.

It is looking like we are going to have extra inventory.

Right now

3 AG-1980 Units
    1 AG-1970 Unit

1 NV-SV1 from Japan and everything on the Menu is in Japanese, the unit has a built in TBC and a DNR filter which you can turn on and off.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Deter's repair shop is closed again until future notice.

Right now we have 12 units on the bench and not talking in anymore repair jobs.

We have AG units for sale and they are listed at DigitalFaq market place.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Do you recap any of the audio boards? I know there's that upside down mounted AudioII board that has a bunch of SMT caps on it, and I honestly can't tell the difference between recapping that and not, so I'm not even sure if AudioII is even used for VHS playback.

What actual adjustments do you do in terms of the potentiometers inside? Or do you generally leave those at factory settings unless there's a playback issue?

Do you do a 100% recap of all boards, or just the ones that commonly go bad?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    aramkolt,

These units are rebuilt and refurbished. Many of these units have loading and tape transport issues and last time I checked you don't have capacitors in the loading mechanism. These units are for sure calibrated. It is very simple I see other websites and restoration services for these machines but I always seem to get those units shipped to me.

I think most of the repair shops can re-cap the Y/C card but other than that the boards are usually a mess when someone went happy with a soldering iron.

Many times over the last few years many of these units got damaged when they were shipped back and sometimes shipping damage is a nightmare like a bent frame or the board gets dislodged.

The AG-1980P vs AG-1980 you have a difference on the board mounting.

Just did 11 units and 12 more on the bench that is enough for me and I am going on a very long break.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Deter View Post
    It is very simple I see other websites and restoration services for these machines but I always seem to get those units shipped to me.
    Yes you do. I know this for fact, because you've gotten several from me. I remember you had to reject one of my decks fixed by "the other guy" because it was just that fubar.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Let me preface this by saying this is not meant to troll, nor do I want to derail this thread and I do not want this becoming an argument or anything like that; this is a genuine question so that i can increase my knowledge.

What is it about the AG-1980 that has allowed it to become such a sought after VCR?

I guess what I am asking is assume someone had an unlimited budget, money was not an issue and wanted the absolute best VCR for general playback and capture, is the AG-1980 the start and finish of the discussion or is there something superior?

Because I do not want to interfere with Deter's business, if someone wants to answer via PM, that is fine.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, the JVC decks are better for a single "the best" unit. The AG-1980P has specific strengths that make it desired for certain EP, VHS-C, and linear audio needs. It has weaknesses compared to the JVC too. It's not all better. One of those weaknesses is with build quality, and repair ability. Deter provides a community service here.
    Quote Quote