VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I've got lots of MPG2 528*576 files from my SkyStar DVB PCI Card. Work fine when authored with DVD Lab or Tmpg DVD creator on most standalone dvd players. Some players don't accept, so I need to convert to 720*576 with a "FAST" transcoder.

Usely a need 2 hours for trancoding a 1 hour stream on my XP 3000+.

Do you know something really faster ? (with good quality !)

Thanks !
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The "fast" setting in TMPGEnc should not affect the final outcome of the video much and will go like hell on a box that fast! Mine does it in just under real time. About 45 min per hour.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mainconcept is much faster than Tmpgenc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Jraf
    so I need to convert to 720*576 with a "FAST" transcoder.
    Two options:
    (1) Go for mencoder.
    It's the fastest (but tedious) encoder available, but beware that it's very buggy when used on lower resolutions than your target.
    If your target is DVD, then you'll be fine.
    http://www.mplayerhq.hu

(2) Create your VOBs with any authoring program, then use DVDShrink to transcode and make new VOBs.
    This should your best (fastest) option.

Greetings,
    Baf
    - Snake Lover! -
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    You can't change the resolution with dvdshrink.
    Cinema craft encoder or mainconcept encoder are my suggestions.
    Ronny
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I moved that to the correct forum (Digital TV).

First of all, you can't transcode, you have to re-encode your mpeg 2 to another mpeg 2 with a compatible DVD Video resolution.
    I do that years now, but the opposite way: I don't convert to 704/720 x 576, but to 352 x 576.

When someone re-encodes 544/528/480 to 352 x 576 can do a choice: Filter the DVB transmission, or re-encode it direct?
    Most DVB transmissions look "good" to "Excellent", but technically speaking, they have noise. And the bad thing is that is not a noise we can really "see". It is noise that the encoder do see. That has one huge (for me...) side effect: You need to rise the bitrate, so to keep the picture quality, at about the same shape.

Personally, for those kind of convertions, I use dvd2avi to frameserve to TMPGenc plus encoder any DVB mpeg 2 source. Using CQ (because 2 pass VBR don't handle well IMO that unoticable noise I'm talking about, so the results after the convertion have noticable pixeleration...), I'm capable to encode one hour of video in about one and a half hour that way. Also, you don't need to re-encode the audio: DVD2Avi seperates the audio to .mpa.

BUT: Since most DVB transmissions ain't clean and because I don't like the fact that I have to rise the bitrate for better results, I actually filter my DVB sources. I do minnor filtering (low portions of Static Noise Reduction / Dynamic Noise Reduction / Sharpen), and also I resize before TMPGenc (so not to have pixelerations and other issues to fade ins / outs). That way I also end up with smaller filesizes after my encodings.
    With filtering, it take me the same time as to encode my DVB source to full PAL. One hour for two that is.
    Quote Quote