VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a couple old camcorders from the early 90's that I am trying to get functioning:

Camera #1 is a Ricoh R-87H Hi8 camcorder.
    Camera #2 is a Sony Handycam CCD-TR51 8mm camcorder.

Camera 1 seems to be functioning fine, besides having vertical lines visible on the display. Pretty sure I just need to clean the head on this one. A cleaning tape doesn't seem to be helping, so I may need to look into another way to clean.

The main issue is with Camera 2 - everything seems to be working except for the playback. When I am recording, the picture looks all good with no artifacts. When I go to play it back, there is some bad distortion. Very shaky with multiple images. This is using an 8mm tape in an 8mm camera and I have tried it with two different unused tapes. Video of the distortion (iPhone video looking into the camera - I need to get some kind of RCA cable to transfer to my Mac): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TymZrgGKhpI

I later tried playing back this same 8mm tape with Camera 1 (Hi8 camcorder) and there is no shaking or added artifacts, besides the usual vertical lines. Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUT7AvGUxDI It seems that the issue is with Camera 2's playback, as the tape itself and the footage from Camera 2 seems to be all good.

Any ideas why Camera 2 is playing back with a distorted picture? Any fixes?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Camera 1 looks like a problem with the display device. It does not look like anything related to the video heads.

Camera 2 has bad playback sync. It could be a mechanical or electronic problem.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the info! Very helpful.

Any recommendations for connecting the RCA to Mac (USB or FireWire/Thunderbolt?) for digitizing the tape video/audio?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Any of the inexpensive USB dongle converters will work about the same. Thunderbolt data rates are not required for legacy video. Usually, you will get a better picture from an s-video output than a composite (RCA) output.
    Quote Quote