VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi guys,
    i'm getting a lot of pixelation in blacker parts of my DVD-> SVCD movies using either smartripper or CLADDVDXP, then tmpgenc using the default templates, tried both CBR and VBR. i get this on my computer using powerdvd as well as my apex player. is this just part of the mpeg2 codec in tmpgenc? does anyone else have this problem? my bit rates are set pretty high, about 2200 -> 2300 VBR. i'm using the standard quantize matrix and not the mpeg standard.

thanks for any help on this. i've already made a lot of copies and before i make more, i want to know if i can fix this. i've tried this on multiple computers and DVD players as well and the same.
    Quote Quote  
  2. sounds to me like block noise, if the avi downloaded is like it then the burnt file is more than likely to retain it.
    If however it appears once burnt to disk, buy a better dvd player with a block noise reduction filter
    Quote Quote  
  3. totally understand that, but that's the weird thing. the source is from DVD and there should be no noise at all, unless CLADDVD does a bad job of ripping, but a ripper is a ripper, or at least it should be. when i view the movie in DVD2AVI in preview, it looks great, DVD quality and no block noise at all. it's only when i convert it using tmpgenc to a high bitrate SVCD file. i can see the pixelation on both my computer using powerdvd and my apex player. should i maybe use the noise reduction or block noise reduction in tmpgenc? thanks for the help!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I know exactly what you are talking about and i get the same problem. The thing that works the best is just setting it to highest quality and CBR. This will probably not completely cure your problem but it ussually helps me. Are you frameserving or directly converting as if you are converting to any other format between the vob and the VCD compliant mpeg file this most likely WILL cause these macroblocks because of the compression used. hope that helps.
    manaox ^¤¿¤^
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have tried as many different dvd rippers i could get my hands on.
    Free ones and ones I had to pay for.
    I have stuck with Dup-dvd.
    I was impressed with their support and the continuous free upgrades they make.
    They have had 4 updates this year alone.
    You can rip dvd straight to cdr as VCD or SVCD.
    You can also rip to hard drive as bin mpg or avi.
    You will almost always get block noise in darker parts of the film, no matter what software you use.
    Quote Quote  
  6. awesome, thanks guys....
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The thing that works the best is just setting it to highest quality and CBR.
    manaox2, when you say this, two questions: First, are you talking about TMPGEnc? Second, if you are, then what is set on "highest quality"? Are you talking about the Motion Search Quality setting? I would assume this.
    andrewb758
    OH, USA
    Have a nice day!
    Quote Quote  
  8. well, i would imagine changing the motion search quality wouldn't help the pixel/block noise problem since that's part of the compression and not frame to frame motion compression. i'm assuming he means CBR and highest bit rate to get less compression loss, thus less pixelation. i'm assuming tmpgenc as well since that's what i'm using. also, by talking to tmpgenc, they recommend i get a dvd player with better block noise filtering since there's nothing you can do to really fix this. not worth it...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well there should be no noise from the source or any compression so I would first try upping your bitrate. are you trying to fit a movie on 2 CDs? I would add an extra cd to whatever you are using now. If you want perfect dvd quality on SVCD you will need to stay less than 45 minutes per disc in most cases.

Set motion precision to highest, dc bits 10, soften block noise and use a 2 pass vbr of atleast 2400-2800
    Quote Quote  
  10. i found that applying the soft block noise makes it a little blurry. what do you usually set the block sizes to to make it bearable? also, it slows down the encoding process, but i agree, it would definitely help, as long as you know the correct settings. i usually do 3 cds for SVCD's because i like to keep the bitrate around 2300+ if not 2500 to 2520. Definitely always use VBR, i can definitely see a big improvement in quality over CBR or CQ.
    Quote Quote  
  11. musicnyman is definately right about the bitrate. i also use 3 cds for movies over 80 min. i am experimenting with CQ but VBR is VERY good for me i know. I do use TMPGenc and i would recommend a very slow motion search also to reduce the macroblocks in high action scenes.
    manaox ^¤¿¤^
    Quote Quote  
  12. also, a BIG recommendation since tmpgenc's audio and sampling conversion sucks ass, no offense. use toolame and SSRC for the audio. tmpgenc has this under enviornment settings and it's VERY easy to set up. just download and point tmpgenc to the binaries, that's it. it only takes about another 5 minutes per SVCD, but SOOO worth it. no more radio hiss and voices don't sound muffled and lots of mids. starting to look into CCE but so far, tmpgenc is fine for me...i just let it encode overnight and it's done in the morning.....
    Quote Quote  
  13. Now your helping me out! thanx :P
    manaox ^¤¿¤^
    Quote Quote  
  14. anytime. i've done this for a LONG time, but i'm sure a lot of people have as well. also, i've just tried CCE and i don't like it. honestly, it takes me about half an hour to start 4-5 dvds in tmpgenc and DVD2AVI. to get CCE to "backup" the DVDs, it's just too much work and i don't like the templates. too many steps involved in getting the "backing up" process to go. tmpgenc is so easy to kick off at night before bed, even though it takes 2-3 times longer than CCE, it's just easy. don't want to have to spend so much time kicking them off either and quality comes out the same as far as i can see, and cheaper i had deadlines i would care, but no deadlines here
    Quote Quote  
  15. ***link deleted by Truman***
    Quote Quote