VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am a newbie to these sort of forums, so please forgive, I have panasonic blu-ray recorder, and panasonic camera gear, which feeds the AVCHD inputs, no problems, but other camera gear not taking in the AVCHD format, (like my Canon 5D, and others, ) can't allow me to get those files into the Panasonic recorder. I have tried multiple "apps" to convert from MOV, or AVI etc, to AVCHD, they all say they can do it, but not one of them can get a file to be accepted by the recorder, it will "play" the video, but won't record it to its hard drive, for future transfer to Blu-ray, etc. Does anyone know of a working solution please? Converters say its been converted to H264 AVI but the recorder won't look at it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What exactly are you trying to do? Play avchd on your blu-ray recorder and record it? Why?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Seems a strange question, needs a long answer!! I wish to bring together other video clips, taken on non AVCHD cameras, so they all end up on the blu-ray recorder, so that I can make a single DVD or Blu-ray disc of all the clips, (of a similar topic), my requirements may not be obvious to others, but the question I asked help with, is still, how do I get an AVI file reconverted back to AVCHD so it will go into the Blu-ray recorder successfully, I would also explain that the panasonic video camcorder files, once loaded into my PC (for editing etc), will NOT get accepted by the Blu-ray recorder, the files are altered in some way by the PC, I don't understand all the "codec" problems, all I want is a conversion back to AVCHD that works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. You already have it ready for the future, digital video is "the future thing", as long as particular video codec is not an exotic one, not your case, no need to transcode it to AVCHD and reduce quality. Just organize them on a hardisk. Your playback devices is very limited regarding what to play, on purpose, mind you, I'd not regard it as a device to store your videos for ...

For editing, there is NLE software that should load your files as they are.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear _Al_, thank you for your reply, but I still only want to do what I have already explained, all I want is a way to get my non AVCHD camera files, into some format that will enable me to load them onto my existing quite satisfactory Blu-ray recorder, that's all I ask, nothing more. All I ask is someone to advise me what "app" or whatever, will get files back into the Panasonic Blue-ray recorder. Several "apps" claim to convert to AVCHD, but apparently they don't do it to a format that will satisfy the recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  6. tSmuxeR might re-wrap some of your files to ts or m2ts, transport stream, that your player could accept,
    multiavchd might encode avchd for you also, those are free, then,

there are NLE softwares, mostly paid versions, like Vegas movie studio, they should encode true avchd or blu-ray streams, you might try that
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi _Al_, My current several freebie apps can "convert" to m2ts etc, as did the trial version of "vegas movie studio" I downloaded, at your suggestion. It converted a 19 minute clip, taking nearly 2 hours to "render" it, and produced the same so called AVCHD AVI file, which, like the other apps, played fine into the Blu-ray recorder, and TV, but still wouldn't "load" onto the recorder hard drive, I tried several "variations" of the Vegas modes, there seems to be a raft of ways to do an "AVCHD" "rendering", but they all come out the same way, an H264, m2ts file, listing itself as an AVI file. I even loaded up the SD card from the camera, and tried loading from the camera into the recorder, made no difference, I also tried including the "info" file which the SD card seems to carry along, with the "stream" file, again with no joy. Whatever the cameras do, to load into the recorder, seems to be unique in some way!!
    I need to stress, and explain, that I finds it far easier, and more user friendly, to do any editing etc, actually in, and via, the Blu-ray recorder, it is a joy to make DVd and Blu-ray discs directly, far far easier than in my PC, using Adobe Premier, or U'Lead video studio 9, which I used previously to make videos.
    ( I don't need or want all the extra "transiitions" and other gizmos these programmes come stuffed with) I can make all the titles etc I want, via camera straight into the recorder, all I want is to be able to also get my other camera files straight into the recorder also. Seems a simple request to me, but doesn't seem to be as easy as it ought to be.
    Quote Quote  
  8. AVCHD when used in cameras, Blu Rays, and recorders is generally part of a folder structure and not just a simple file. The folders contain metadata about the file and how it is played (such as spanned files.) You will probably not be able to add a file to the Panasonic HDD because you cannot supply the necessary metadata and update the file structure on the disk.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dear smrpix,
    thanks, that is what I seem to have discovered the hard way, seems a bit of a bummer!!!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!