VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Are there any better Mpeg1 encoders than Tmpgenc and panasonic 2.5 that will produce better looking VCD's. Also how are offical vcd's made ie: what encoding methods and what sources are used?

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think you won't find anything better than the Panasonic MPEG Encoder for VCD encoding. I think professional VCD's are actually hardware decoded, and these things (the professional cards can cost ++US$10.000)
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can make commerical looking VCD's by having a digital copy of the source file (like a DVD copy) and use software encoders like Tmpeg. I have several commerical made VCD's, and I can make my own VCD's that look just as good with a DVD player (or digital satellite receiver), Virtualdub and Tmpeg. However, you cannot make a "good" looking VCD by using a regular VHS VCR. The source file is what makes or breaks VCD quality (plus the encoder software). Mpeg encoders hate noise (which is random in nature), and other imperfections in the source material.

SK
    Quote Quote  
  4. I agree. With a good clean source (e.g., DVD rip), VCDs created from a good software MPEG encoder (e.g., Panasonic MPEG Encoder and TMPGEnc) look BETTER than commercially produced VCDs.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote