VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all.

I have some old video DVDs (with .VOB files). I now want to copy and convert them to MP4 for playback direct on my smart TV.

Problem is, due to being old, these DVDs are giving errors during copying to hard disk. Some .VOB files can be copied while others get stuck in midway.

These movies are no longer available commercially so I really want to restore them.

I tried some software like CD Recovery Toolbox but they are no good as they also get stuck during reading the faulty data.

Is there any possible way I can restore them? I have a feeling that a high quality DVD reader / writer with fresh new lens might be able to pick the data. Also there are machines and hardware to 'buff' old DVDs to make them more readable under the lens. Is that right?

Thank you for any kind of tips.
    Best Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    been there before. the method I did was a disc doctor to clean the disc and reread it. on the few I had that wern't fully recoverable I ran anydvd in the background, used ISObuster to create a image file, and cycled it through drives rereading the sectors that didn't read. On my final pass I filled in the few remaining sectors with 0's in isobuster. Afterwards I ran it through a stream repair tool. Had a few bad frames as expected but was able to save most of the video. IF it's sticking midway each time it could be a bad layer break problem that your drive can't handle. I have 1 drive throw a fit, while my other doesn't on some dual layer discs. Your mileage will vary
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Step 1: Resurface disc (RTI DiscChek)
    Step 2: Use ISOPuzzle
    Step 3: Wait, cross fingers / pray.

That is the best method.
    Honestly, the only method.

Warning about "Disc Doctor" = infamous POS for ruining discs. Use at your own risk!!
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks very much guys. This seems great technical advice. I will install the mentioned software and let you know the results for your review.

As a first, I will try to use a brand new, higher end DVD Player with a high quality lens to see if it can read better than my current device. I hope it does because these discs are very new, barely used and have no scratches at all visually.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are these disks home made (burned) or commercial disks with possible copy protection?
    If they're burned did you try to read them in the same drive that wrote them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    If they're burned did you try to read them in the same drive that wrote them?
    That is an "old wife's tale" (ie false), born from the analog idea that a VCR is sometimes the only decide that can play its own tape (due to misalignment, though noting you can purposely misalign a deck as needed). However, there is zero overlap between this digital DVD and an analog VHS tape.

If this ever works, it's because the burning drive had a stronger read ability than the one that failed.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote