VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using DVD Fab 8 to convert a Blue-raydisc to DVD (VIDEO_TS-file) but I cannot get the subtitleoption to work. The output DVD does not show the subtitle which I have chosen, for example Swedish.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well, you could try BDRebuilder (free) and see if you have better luck. Nobody here is going to recommend using DVDFab for this kind of thing. Yes, we understand that it's easy, but after 8 years of membership and 170+ posts, maybe you have enough experience to do this the best way (BDRebuilder) rather than the simple way (DVDFab).

To be clear, there's nothing wrong with ripping with DVDFab, but the experienced members here don't think much of using it to convert.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. ": .... but the experienced members here don´t think much of using it to convert"
    But if DVD Fab is "easy" and has the options required, why not use it? Why go for a Callidac if a bike work?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    P.S.

I will of course try BD Rebuilder.

D.S.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mållgan View Post
    Thanks. ": .... but the experienced members here don´t think much of using it to convert"
    But if DVD Fab is "easy" and has the options required, why not use it? Why go for a Callidac if a bike work?
    DVDFab does conversions in a much lower quality way than BDRebuilder, hence it's regarded as tool to be used by people who don't know any better.

BDRebuilder is not perfect and I will warm you that if your source video interlaced VC-1, it may or may not fail to re-encode. But it can deliver higher quality video than DVDFab.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    " DVD Fab.. it's regarded as tool to be used by people who don't know any better."

Or/and people who don´t WANT any better.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    But if DVD Fab is "easy" and has the options required, why not use it?
    And how is that working out for you so far ??

Why go for a Callidac if a bike work?
    Why drink water when drinking urine will accomplish the same thing ??
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ridiculous comparision.

I´m now trying the DVDFab-option "Bluray Ripper to MKV" which as output gives a mkv-videofile and a .sub.file. Next step will be to use "Freemake Video Converter" to pruduce a video file (VIDEO_TS). This program can use mkv-files as input and also subtitles and I will soon find out if a.sub-file is possible to use and if the final result will be a VIDEO_TS containing the complete film.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I produced a mkv-file using DVD Fab (which also can be done with the software Make MKV). I used the mkv-file as input in the software MKV Toolnix where I could extract the wanted subtitle (Swedish) which was included in the mkv-file. Then I used the mkv-file and the subtitle-file as input in the software Freemake Video Converter, where videfiles (VIDEO_TS) was produced. Everything worked out rather fine BUT the Swedish subtitle is not perfect as the Swedish special letters å, ä, ö are not displayed as they should. I quess I have to live with that.

Perhaps in the future there will be a software which "copy" a bluraydisc to a DVD keeping everyting (menu, subtitles etc) unchanged?
    In the near future I think I will stick to copying bluraydisc to another bluraydisc which DVD Fab can do.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mållgan View Post
    Ridiculous comparision.
    Not any more ridiculous than yours....
    LOL!!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is the solution which I found is good enough for my quality demands (and perhaps for others who don´t know any better?):
    1. DVD Fab: Blu-ray ripper to MKV: output = mkv-file which includes ("hidden") subtitles
    2. Use this mkv-file as input in the software "Freemake Video Converter". Choose one subtitle (probably the first one if you want your language-subtitle). Output = videofiles (VIDEO_TS).
    3. Use, if necessary, a software, for example DVD Shrink, to shrink the VIDEO_TS-file.

I suggest that"the more experiences members" don´t read this, or if they read it, forget what they read as soon as possible so they don´t get hurt.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And even easier: use the software VSO Blu-ray Ultimate Converter which also has meny- and subtitlesoptions. I have used it now and am happy with the resultat. But, of course, I belong to the group who don't know any better.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    BD Rebuilder can do all of this as well. It is possible to use this program and output as dvd-video.

You'll need to start with unencrypted video of course.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried both BD Rebuilder and DVD Rebuilder (for DVD) but both seem to be slower than a snail. But perhaps I have not used the proper settings.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now I have used these softwares (especially DVD Rebuilder) and changed some settings, which made the process faster. Output video files: IFO- and VOB-files and an .idx-file, which, for example VSO Video Converter does not accept as a subtitle file.

Kerry 56: ".. output as dvd-video..":

But, which is he next step after using DVD Rebuilder, and BD Rebuilder, to produce the final videofile (VIDEO_TS) used by the more experienced members? Because, if I just copy the IFO-, VOB-, d2v- and idx-files into a VIDEO_TS-file, this VIDEO_TS-file (or just the ifo- and vobfiles) it is not possible to use this VIDEO_TS-file to burn a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I´m afraid that I have forgotten the last processing step:

"Rebuild: After encoding is completed, you get to see where DVD-RB's real magic comes in. Push the "Rebuild" button and the video you've just created is merged and multiplexed with the original audio and subtitle streams. A new VIDEO_TS directory is created in the "Working Path" or in the "Output Path" - depending of your choice on menu "Mode", as seen above."
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I will give up. Now when I have started a new DVDRebuilder-project and loaded the DVD and chose the options and press "Start", the program answers "Runtime error 52". I don´t seem to be the only one who has run into this problem. It does not help if I uninstall and then reinstall. I use a Wndows 7 (64 bit)-computer but the same occurs when I use the program on my Vista-computer.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I´m dropping this issue now and stick to "my method" using Make MKV beta and Freemake Video Converter, where I can choose among the subtitles included in the MKV-file. The result shows excellent DVD-guality from both Blu-ray- and DVD-discs.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    If you want to convert from blu ray to dvd using BD Rebuilder, you start with an unencrypted blu ray.

Next, go to Settings-->Setup and put a check mark in the box for Assume PAL for dvd output. Since you are in Sweden, you almost certainly want PAL compliant dvd video.

Import the movie into the program and select the streams you want in your new dvd-video. Select Alternate Movie only as the output mode. This brings up a small window where you need to remove the check mark from the box to Output to BD or AVCHD Compliant Structure. You then put a check mark next to one of the dvd choices, either a DVD-5 or DVD-9, depending on what size you want. Click Save.

Start the encoding by clicking Backup.

By the way, I've never seen that runtime error using DVD Rebuilder in XP, Vista, Win 7 or Win 8. And I've used that program for many, many years.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you use Google you will find out that I am not the only one with this problem.
    Quote Quote