VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi There,

I'm soooo confused & I hope someone can help me. Here's what I've got: MacOSX10.8.2, a stack of blank dvdr & software called BURN.

Here's what I CAN do: Convert a video to mpg using BURN, and burn it onto a dvdr BUT the disc won't play on my basic dvd player. It will play on my computer though.

What can I do to create a disc that will play on my stand alone dvd player?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are you burning as data or video? There is a big difference.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Burn isn't capable of producing DVD video format output. You are simply burning data discs and your DVD player can't play such discs. I know this because I have a Mac and I have Burn, but it's a "surf the internet and send email only" kind of computer. I do all my video work under Windows.

Your choices are few with Macs. Someone here with Mac experience will have to help you. However, thank you for posting this in the Mac forum as we do have members who specifically look for those posts, so you should be able to get help soon.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    thompson615, , in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Burn isn't capable of producing DVD video format output.
    How do you figure that? The website and user reviews claim otherwise. Data, Audio (CD-DA, MP3) and Video discs (VCD, SVCD, DVD, DivX).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I mean Burn is not a CONVERSION tool.

The OP seems to need a conversion tool like Nero where he can drop some kind of video input into it and get DVD video output from it. That's not what Burn does.

If you feed Burn valid DVD input, like a VIDEO_TS directory and the right files underneath that are valid for DVD, yes, it can burn that correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thompson615 View Post
    Hi There,

I'm soooo confused & I hope someone can help me. Here's what I've got: MacOSX10.8.2, a stack of blank dvdr & software called BURN.

Here's what I CAN do: Convert a video to mpg using BURN, and burn it onto a dvdr BUT the disc won't play on my basic dvd player. It will play on my computer though.

What can I do to create a disc that will play on my stand alone dvd player?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    The .mpg files may need to be authored, which will create all the files and folders required to make a DVD that a DVD player can play, and the DVD files and folders need to be burned as a DVD-Video disc.

Burn has the ability to burn a DVD-Video disc. The credits for Burn list dvdauthor as one of its components, so it would be surprising if it didn't also include the ability to author DVDs. However, if Burn can't author DVDs the way you want and you need a different free tool, DVDStyler is a cross-platform (Windows, OSX, and Linux) DVD conversion and authoring program.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    iDVD will work. IIRC, Burn will burn as UDF but the authoring as MPG2>VOBs in a VIDEO_TS folder is left to you. Toast will do this, of course.
    Quote Quote  

9. Started BURN.
    I left the BURN preferences in their default settings.
    Selected the VIDEO tab. Then selected the "DVD-Video" option.

I dropped a MOV file into BURN. It converted it to MPG, updated it in the BURN window and saved it to my harddrive.
    I added a couple of extra copies and clicked on "Burn". Burn burn't the disc.

I tested it in Apples DVD Player and VLC.
    VLC played the content but not the menus.
    Apple DVD Player displayed the menu(s) and played the mpg files OK.

Popped the DVD in my Bluray Player, it displayed the menus and played all the content OK.

I used a DVD+RW disc for this test. I like to test burns on a rewriteable DVD first. Saves money.
    Hope that helps.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by phase52001 View Post

Started BURN.
    I left the BURN preferences in their default settings.
    Selected the VIDEO tab. Then selected the "DVD-Video" option.

I dropped a MOV file into BURN. It converted it to MPG, updated it in the BURN window and saved it to my harddrive.
    I added a couple of extra copies and clicked on "Burn". Burn burn't the disc.

Holy Crap. I stand corrected.
    Quote Quote