VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I guess this question is really about the Registry...

...there are any number of interesting apps http://portableapps.com/apps
    that now will run right from a flash drive & leave no 'footprints' behind, among other features claimed. But isn't this kinda how computing was done back in the heyday of the VIC 20?

A ROM cart or a cardboard-encased floppy (that's why they were called floppies 8) ) that ran standalone as regards the OS, which could be shut down with a simple OFF switch.

With portable media capacity increasing exponentially- and intended to be used in multiple machines, what is the future of the OS itself?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In addition to making no registry changes, it also doesn't copy any support files to the Windows directory
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ahhaa
    But isn't this kinda how computing was done back in the heyday of the VIC 20?
    I'm a programmer and I still write all my Windows apps that way, ie. they use local config files, they seldom store stuff in the registry - because I want to be able to easily move apps+settings around from PC to PC by simply copying one folder tree. Or if I want to dump an application I simply delete it's folder - pow, it's gone completely, no messy residue.

IMHO the Windows registry was a design disaster: just think about the nightmare you have moving apps every time you buy a new PC. At least as far as as third party apps are concerned. The registry is fine for storing Windows OS settings.

And oh yes - another thing that makes an app "portable" is that it doesn't embed drive letters etc in local settings, as different host PCs have different drive letters.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

The list is getting pretty impressive...Open Office, MPlayer, Floola, Virtualdub, Avidemux, WinFF, VLC, Reaper etc. etc. etc. Now if they were ALL cross-platform wouldn't that be fun!? Instead of no OS... ANY OS.
    Quote Quote  
  5. and also no files a copied or created in "Documents and settings\<username>" directory.
    Quote Quote