VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone. I just recently, like in that last 3 weeks i can't make any backups of my DVD's.
    The method I used was to first rip the DVD using DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0. I then shrink the DVD using DVD2One. Now i have a folder of .VOB's, .BUP's, .IFO's.

Now I create a folder called VIDEO_TS, and place all these files into it. So now i have:
    BLah/VIDEO_TS/files_in_here

I then use TMPGEnc DVD Author to burn the files, what happens is, it goes pretty fast at first writing the files to the DVD+R. But around 98% it really, i mean really slows down on the burning rate. At about 98% it will take another 20 minutes to finish. If it even fishes, when I play the DVD it will skip like crazy and freeze and then the audio isn't in sync with the video. It won't finish usually and i get some weird error about tracks or video lead in or somthing, i tried to get this error to show up again but it wont, now it just won't finish.

I thought it was a bad rip or compress, so i used a different DVD, same thing. This use to work fine for me, I could make a copy of a dual layer dvd, compress it to single, burn it, and play it fine on the DVD player . But now it won't work with any DVD's.

I also tried IMGtoolBurn, it freezes trying to burn the VOB files at around 19%, it will lock up my computer.

I have no idea whats going on! Any suggestions? Thanks alot!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    are you using same dvd+r media brand? maybe just some bad ones.
    does it work fine to burn data dvds?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the responce Baldrick,

Right now i'm attempting to burn a Folder that is 822MB, i'm at 566MB of 822MB, and the burn speeed dropped from about 2.0x to .45x, my DVD is suppose to be able to burn at 16x. And on the DVD it says, 16x/1x, doesn't that mean it can handle 16x speed?

THe DVD's are SONY, DVD-R's, 4.7GB

I'm now using Roxio RecordNow Premier to burn this data DVD.

I am using different media btw, i'm not sure what i was using before, but it wasn't high quality DVD, still a cheap pack for around 30 bucks or so.

EDIT:
    Okay the DVD just now got done, and it works fine. So now doesn't this mean the DVD's arn't crap?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    TDA has a terrible burner in my opinion.

Right now i'm attempting to burn a Folder that is 822MB, i'm at 566MB of 822MB
    Your computer seems a hell of alot faster than mine but I still wouldn't be mucking about online while burning.

my DVD is suppose to be able to burn at 16x.
    If these particular DVD's(Sony) cannot be burned at 16x...then you'll need to
    slow it down a bit in order for them to work. No need to keep making coasters just to prove a point. Which brings me back to TDA's burner and it's lack of burn speed adjustment....useless.

I also tried IMGtoolBurn, it freezes trying to burn the VOB files at around 19%, it will lock up my computer.
    Use ImgTool to create the .ISO image then burn with ImgBurn at a slower speed instead.

I then shrink the DVD using DVD2One.
    Have you tried any other transcoders? Since everything along the line seems to be failing on you...MAYBE the folders are bad....not likely but possible.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the help!

I usually try to burn the DVD's at 4x's, never 16x, but as you said, there is no option for me to turn it down, so it attempts to bring it up to 16.

Use ImgTool to create the .ISO image then burn with ImgBurn at a slower speed instead.
    I'm using ImgToolBUrn 1.2.0,
    and i'm not seeing where there is an option to create a .iso image from .vob's.
    It seems it just wants to burn the DVD, it has an option to find DVD ROOT:, and it shows the Volume: but thats about it. ANy ideas, am i using the wrong software?

thanks.[/quote]
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As I recall....you need to extract the executable to it's own folder then open from that folder. Double clicking on the original .exe or zip file won't work...I think I read that somewhere cause my version of ImgTool is in it's own folder seperate from the original downloaded file. A good practice in computing 101 that I tend to ignore more often than I care to mention....

Any transcoding software worth a spit will give you at least AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders as an output once the task is completed. Some even give you an .ISO image. If I were you I'd try to get out of the habit of attempting to burn .vob files from what the transcoder gives you....you need to burn the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders. A basic terminology error really....one that I was once guilty of myself.

I also place my DVD Folders(AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS) in a "main" folder....then point ImgTool to the main folder that contains the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders....then let it create the .ISO image. I do not point it to the VIDEO_TS folder.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Awesome, thanks hech.

Can you tell me what program you use or any recommendations for waht transcoding software to use to compress the dual layer into single layer? DVDtoOne just takes the ripped files from DVD Decrypt adn then just spits out the VOB files.

When you say transocding, i'm assuming u mean the middle man that compresses the dual layer into single layer. I'm still a n00b!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm still stuck on DVDShrink as a "transcoder". Sure DVDShrink is old(?) and no longer being updated....and it chokes heavily now on new Hollywood movies...so you need to rip with DVDFabDecrypter first before using DVDShrink....but the simplicity of DVDShrink is awesome. It can also be an awesomely complex piece of software as well IF you want it to be...IE...removing unwanted audio, subtitles, extras and other assorted CRAP....and it outputs to burnable DVD folders OR an .ISO image(your choice)....it is brilliant.

My favorite method of backup....Movie Only....no menu....movie just starts playing when you pop the DVDR into the player....simple...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks a ton man! it actually works!
    I had no idea encoding took 100% of my CPU, an alarm started going off in my system i thought it was going to explode hah.

DVDFabDecrypter works great, but it outputs a VIDEO_TS folder and an AUDIO_TS folder and yet there is nothing in the AUDIO_TS folder. So i jut take all the stuff from the VIDEO_TS folder and move it to the main directory.

Then I bust out DVDShrink which pwns as you mentioned and created the .ISO and finally burned with IMGBURN. Its so weird how every other method fails. If i even try to burn with NERO after using DVD SHRINK, it will lock up and freeze. Oh well i'm just happy this method works. Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mr_coffee
    Thanks a ton man! it actually works!
    I had no idea encoding took 100% of my CPU, an alarm started going off in my system i thought it was going to explode hah.
    That's not exactly normal computer behavior...but possible.

Originally Posted by mr_coffee
    DVDFabDecrypter works great, but it outputs a VIDEO_TS folder and an AUDIO_TS folder and yet there is nothing in the AUDIO_TS folder. So i jut take all the stuff from the VIDEO_TS folder and move it to the main directory.
    You got lucky on that one.
    You need both the AUDIO_TS and the VIDEO_TS folders...PERIOD. Even though the AUDIO_TS folder is usually empty....it is required. Both folders also need to be named exactly as written above....all caps and the _ .
    Had you instructed DVDShrink to output to folders instead of an .ISO image....the AUDIO_TS folder would have been created for you there too. The AUDIO_TS folder is inside the .ISO image that DVDShrink created....because it is necessary and important.
    Quote Quote  
  11. That's not exactly normal computer behavior...but possible.
    I found it odd, becuase i have a pretty fast system, 3.4 intel, it takes around 20-25 minutes to encode as well. Im' not sure if thats fast or slow.

Had you instructed DVDShrink to output to folders instead of an .ISO image....the AUDIO_TS folder would have been created for you there too. The AUDIO_TS folder is inside the .ISO image that DVDShrink created....because it is necessary and important.
    So once I use DVDFabDecrypter, should i leave the file structure alone so it will be somthing like:
    C:/Blah/
    Blah being the movie name, and in this directory it will output: AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS;
    and just leave the contents of VIDEO_TS alone, and just point DVDSHRINK to the C:/Blah directory and go from there?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Exactly...

You could always TRY to start from DVDShrink instead of DVDFabDecrypter....DVDShrink isn't completely useless with newer DVD's. I have found that the shrinking does go much faster from a ripped DVD vs. straight from DVDShrink though.
    Quote Quote  
  13. awesome, thanks for all the help!
    Quote Quote