VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I'm trying to gain any knowledge from those of you on the frontlines.

I've been successfully burning home video content from Sonic DVD software onto a Pioneer burner -- but just learned that I'm not able to playback a recording that was made on a Ritek 4x BD-R. The Samsung player unit is a BDP-3600, it rejects these disks stating "cannot play this disk", but is otherwise happy with the Blurays I've made on TDK BD-RE 2x media, as well as a Ritek BD-RE disk. No problems at all playing commercial Blurays, but I don't rent them on a regular basis.

I will go to a local store and see if other Samsungs and other Bluray player brands will accept & play my faulty Ritek 4x BD-R recordings.

Is there a sense that the Samsung BDP-3600, which I guess is a couple+ years old by now, could NEVER play a home-recorded BD-R 4x Bluray -- and I just didn't notice it? Perhaps it is well known that this generation of Samsung Bluray wasn't tested for BD-R of any speed.

I tried slowing the Sonic-burning to 2x on the 4x Ritek BD-R-- no luck. Will 2x BD-R media work, I wonder?

I am open to any experienced suggestions..... reliable brands, strategies, etc.

My burner is the Pioneer BDR-203 just upgrarded to the latest firmware in a Sata-connected Vantec Case. The software is Avid Sonic DVD 6.0. I won't be able to bump that up to 6.1 any time soon. The Ritek media was 4x BD-R in a cakebox of 25, and also failed when I used the same Ritek 4x BD-R packaged from a single jewel case.

-Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It may be that your Samsung is incapable of playing burned BD25's. I had a Panasonic recently that had this problem,I returned it and exchanged for a Sony,my second Sony. They both play anything I throw at them. I doubt the media is the problem. Ritek may not be everybody's favorite but there's nothing inherently wrong with them. I burned 25 Riteks's without a single problem. I would change your burning program,you should use Imgburn,I think most would recommend it for burning.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ritek media
    Try again with Verbatim media.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank, wulf I just checked out IMGBURN link. Looks good. But: I cannot use it for authoring, right?

I've been using SONIC to make simple menus & write my BlurayDVD as a VOLUME onto my hardisk. Then I go back and BURN to Bluray from that. As I said, BD-RE's from that VOLUME playback fine, but BD-R's do not.

Do you know if IMGBURN can use that same VOLUME to publish to Bluray? That's a test worth trying.... on my 4x BD-R Riteks.

Re: your bad Samsung. Did you recall NOT having a problem if/when you tried playing back a BD-RE that you had recorded?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Ritek media
    Try again with Verbatim media.
    Thanks for replying, LordSmurf. I'm heading to the store soon.

I am no fan of Ritek one way or another, but a Ritek BD-RE 25GB will work on my Samsung time after time. Do you have a particular VERBATIM BD-R in mind? 2x, 4x?

Do you have a Samsung Bluray that you're burning BD-R's for?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MYT5OK?ie=UTF8&tag=thdifa-20&linkCode=as2&camp=17...SIN=B001MYT5OK
    Verbatim 96769 25 GB 4x Blu-ray Single-Layer Recordable Disc BD-R , 10-Disc Spindle

Amazon will surely be the best price, if you can wait a few days.

If you're feeling lucky, try some LTH discs, too.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WCRC2S?ie=UTF8&tag=thdifa-20&linkCode=as2&camp=17...SIN=B002WCRC2S
    In theory, the LTH should work very well. Issues to date have been firmware.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Imgburn is for burning only,no authoring. Your authoring program creates BDMV and Certificate directories just load them in Imgburn. Imgburn will ask you to let it change to the correct burn format based on the directories you load,it's pretty smart. I didn't try any RE disks in the Panasonic,but I wouldn't be surprised if RE's work and R's don't. I believe the die coating process is different on re-recordable disks.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for the info, wulf. It seems that if I want to send a Bluray to an unknown person/player, I should make it a BD-RE.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Wulf, your suggestion worked! IMGBURN made a BD-R that played on my Samsung. I certainly like the UI better than SONIC.

T H A N K - Y O U.
    Quote Quote