VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i have a blackmagic intensity pro 4k capture card at the minute ... but i was wondering is this the best choice for my captures?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hdfills View Post
    i have a blackmagic intensity pro 4k capture card at the minute ... but i was wondering is this the best choice for my captures?
    The Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K has some drawbacks for 480i capture and the TBC is not the most effective. See https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/370738-BMD-Intensity-Pro-4K-includes-a-professiona...!)#post2380442

I'm not sure what current capture device qualifies as the best for these sources. The current USB capture dongles most often mentioned here of late (Hauppauge USB Live 2 and I-O DATA GV-USB2) don't have a 3D comb filter, only a 2D comb filter.

At least one member here likes the Magewell Pro Capture HDMI, although it is an expensive card: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/376945-Conventional-analog-capture-workflow-vs-alt...e2#post2461554

Another member likes AJA Kono cards, like the AJA Kona LHI and AJA Kono LHE. They are very expensive new. Although they are relatively cheap and plentiful selling as used items on ebay, the proprietary break-out cables for them are often missing and hard to find. If you are buying a used card, make sure that it comes with the matching break-out cable.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. im getting good captures with the blackmagic card now all updates have got to a point of fixing all issues but im always looking to better my setup
    Quote Quote  
  4. I just received the BlackMagicdesign Intensity Shuttle card (USB 3) which costs 200 euros, and I am disappointed: the image quality is not as I expected. It is very sensitive to magnetic disturbances, and you can see interference sometimes.

I have an Avermedia EzMaker7 USB stick and the image is much sharper, the details more visible... I tried all the possible settings and inputs (S-Video, components...) and it's the same: the blackmagic tends to smooth the image, so we lose details. In addition, fewer settings (chrominance, luminance) are available.

Oh yes, a little positive point for the BlackMagic: I have the impression that there is less chroma shifting (observed on a test pattern), but it is not worth it given the overall quality of the image.

So there's no point in spending 200 euros (or dollars) on a card to capture VHS.

[Attachment 46886 - Click to enlarge]
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	comparatif.jpg
Views:	787
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	46885  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hdfills View Post
    im getting good captures with the blackmagic card now all updates have got to a point of fixing all issues but im always looking to better my setup
    Why ? you will redo your previous captures also with the next new setup ? at a certain "stage" you should be satisfied.
    Quote Quote