VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All! 1st time posting in this forum.

I have been building a movie library, that using Plex Media Server gives me the ability to stream movies in my house to any of 4 different TVs either running the Plex App (smart TVs) or using a Roku Player.

I use the MP4 file container for the vast majority of my movies, but ripping DVDs to MP4 strips away the original surround sound formatting. The resulting file still has 5.1 surround sound, but if it had something like Dolby TrueHD 7.1, DTS-HD 6.1, or Dolby Atmos, all of that formatting is stripped down to basic 5.1 surround.

On movies that I wish to retain the original audio formatting, I use MakeMKV software to make an MKV container of the movie. This retains the original audio formatting.

I have the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy extended edition on Blu Ray discs. The Audio for these movies is DTS-HD 6.1Master Audio 6.1. My goal is to take each movie, which is split into 2 discs in the extend edition version, and edit/splice the 2 resulting MKV files into one larger MKV file for each movie. The problem is that the video editing part is easy. However regardless of what method I use or how I edit the video portion, when I export the finished product, the audio is now in a 5.1 format.

I use Wondershare Filmora to do the video editing, which works great. However if export as and MP4, the audio format in the finished file is 5.1. I thought if I edited, spliced, and then exported in the MKV format, the DTS-HD might be retained, but no, that method results in a 5.1 format result as well.

Does anyone know of a video editor that would allow me to splice the 2 movies into one file like I want, but not change the audio away from the original DTS-HD 6.1 formatting?

Thanks for your help!

Badger
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can use mkvtoolnix to splice and merge the audio of the mkv files created by MakeMKV into the mkv file created using Wondershare.
    Quote Quote