VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I have been capturing video from miscellaneous sources and using numerous capturing devices for over 20 years. For the past 10 years, I have been using a Pioneer Elite Receiver (VSX-01TXH) as a switch for all of my various inputs (cable, laserdisc, VHS, etc). The receiver upscales all of the different signals to 1080i and outputs to the HDMI monitor output. I output this signal to two PC's and a TV using a splitter that strips the HDCP. On the two PC's, I am using the AverMedia C027 capture cards using the HDMI input and CyberLink PowerDirector as the capturing software. This has been a winning combination for all this time. That is, until recently. I have not needed to capture anything since last summer when I made some DVD's for a friend of some old VHS tapes. Everything seemed to be fine. The only hardware change that I made since then was to replace my Tivo Edge with a Fire TV Cube (which I did back in December 2022). Last week, I tried to capture some more VHS tapes, but all I can get is "HDCP" displayed on both of my capturing devices (the TV still seems to be working fine). I have tried replacing my splitter (HDCP stripper) but that didn't make a difference. I really don't understand what has happened. I welcome any insight as I am now completely out of ideas. Thank you all for your time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you thinking the HDCP keys for this card have been revoked? If so, I don't suppose there is anything that can be done?
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's probably the splitter's key that has been revoked. It's believed that those splitters use keys stolen from some other legit device. The keys are probably old enough now that there are few of those original devices left in use. Intel probably thinks the few remaining owners will just think their old TV (or whatever) has died.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That does make sense; all of my other splitters could have the same stolen key too.

But how would Intel reach the splitter in order to revoke the key? All of the devices that connect to it (except my FireTV Cube, which I haven't captured from) have composite or S-video connections that connect to the receiver. My connection goes from the VCR to the receiver, to the splitter, to the capture card. The receiver isn't connected to the internet either.

Regardless, do you have any suggestions on what I should do? I appreciate your time.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Bri-2000 View Post
    But how would Intel reach the splitter in order to revoke the key?
    Any device in the chain with internet access or disc access can receive the revocation list and refuse to connect to a revoked device.

Originally Posted by Bri-2000 View Post
    Regardless, do you have any suggestions on what I should do? I appreciate your time.
    Short of finding a splitter or recorder that hasn't been revoked, or a setup that connects the VHS player directly to a recording device that ignores Macrovision, I don't know of another fix.

Of course, the revocation hypothesis is just conjecture on my part. It could be something else.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Perhaps a factory reset would help ? Just an idea
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    But how would Intel reach the splitter in order to revoke the key?
    Any device in the chain with internet access or disc access can receive the revocation list and refuse to connect to a revoked device.
    Can devices permanently permanently alter their allowed keys just via the HDMI ports though?

Did you try disconnecting all the HDMI devices from the reciever except the splitter and see if that makes a difference?

Did you change TVs? Changing that or something else could result in the devices negotiating a later HDMI revision which may cause the splitter to behave differently.

Lastly, I know dvd-recorders can sometimes change HDCP/copy protection on the output depending on content like if a dvd is copy-protected or not or if copy protection is detected on the selected analog input, maybe recievers do similar stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    Perhaps a factory reset would help ? Just an idea
    I like this idea and will try it out this weekend. My hopes are low as I have tried two other splitters with no luck.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you change TVs? Changing that or something else could result in the devices negotiating a later HDMI revision which may cause the splitter to behave differently.

Lastly, I know dvd-recorders can sometimes change HDCP/copy protection on the output depending on content like if a dvd is copy-protected or not or if copy protection is detected on the selected analog input, maybe recievers do similar stuff.
    The only hardware change that I made was replacing my Tivo Edge with a FireTv Cube. Even though I don't use it at all for capturing video, I do recognize that this could have possibly caused the problem. I've tried taking it out of the equation, but it may have been too late since the problem still persists.

The receiver is old, but I really can't rule anything out. I might have to take my entertainment center apart and try everything one device at a time.

It seems that the TV is still working fine. Only the capture cards seem to be affected. Is it possible that Windows 10 created new HDCP issues?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Bri-2000 View Post
    Is it possible that Windows 10 created new HDCP issues?
    All bets are off when we're talking Bill's monster
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I definitely seem to be in the minority on this forum as a Windows user. I hate Mac and Linux is too daunting for me. I'm in my late 40s now and have been a Windows user for most of those years. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Windows is the cause of my pain. I was really hoping that someone else was in a similar situation and knew how to solve it. I absolutely hate not knowing what the solution is. Even if the fix is expensive, I'd be happier than I am now.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I definitely seem to be in the minority on this forum as a Windows user. I hate Mac and Linux is too daunting for me. I'm in my late 40s now and have been a Windows user for most of those years. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Windows is the cause of my pain. I was really hoping that someone else was in a similar situation and knew how to solve it. I absolutely hate not knowing what the solution is. Even if the fix is expensive, I'd be happier than I am now.
    are you getting any errors ?? see if anything here will help - https://www.avaccess.com/blogs/guides/hdcp-error-fix/
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm not a fan of Windows but if something changed with the computer side it would likely be some driver thing by avermedia rather than anything by Microsoft.

Granted, as suggested in that link, it's possible some changes in the setup or connected devices resulted in the devices using e.g HDMI 2.x instead of 1.4 or similar causing the splitter to behave differently. If there was some key revocation on the keys on the splitter one would think it wouldn't output to the TV either, instead of just outputting with HDCP active.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the replies. I'm not getting any errors (except the HDCP recording prohibited message on my capture cards). The TV plays all media just fine. Do you think it's possible that adding the Fire Cube to the mix raised the HDCP requirement from 1.4 to 2.2? I dismissed that as a possibility since all the devices work on the TV.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't figure it out. I shelled out some serious cash for an HDFury Integral 2. Here's hoping...
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I'm not sure why, but even though I've been using the same setup for years, it suddenly stopped working and no other cheap HDCP stripping splitters seem to work anymore. I bit the bullet and shelled out the dough for the HDFury Integral 2. I had to update the firmware, but it works flawlessly now. My thanks to everyone who tried to help.
    Quote Quote