VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I'm currently trying to get a really simple BluRay to work. It is just one video, with chapters and without any menu. I've done the same in the past for DVDs with DVD-Styler and it was always very straightforward. But somehow I did not have that much luck with producing a BluRay.

So, I downloaded multiAVCHD and the necessary tools for it to run. I added my video file (V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC 1080p 50fps Ref frames 2) in the Media Tab I clicked on the video and in the popup I added the chapters in the top right and clicked OK. I clicked on the Fit All button and selected BD-25 and disabled the Scale to 1280x720. After this the video in the compilation is shown in green (I assume this means everything went good so far). I changed nothing in the Author tab (but made sure Create Top menu is disabled). I selected the output directory and changed no other options and started the creation by selecting Start => Blu-ray Disc. I got no errors

After this I started ImgBurn selected Create image file from files/folders added the just created folder, selected a name for the ISO file and clicked the start button. I then get an option to select a Volume label, which I did and imgBurn detects it being a BlRay and selects Content Type: BD Video and sets File System to UDF (2.50). I allow that and an ISO is created.

I tested the ISO by using Daemon Tools Lite to mount it and play the medium in VLC as a BluRay and everything works as expected up to this point. So the video starts and I can skip my chapters. I then burned the ISO to a BluRay and put it into my BluRay Player (Panasonic DMP.BDT110 if that matters) and started the video. I can hear the correct sound, but only get a black screen. I can skip chapters (according to the sound it works).

So after that did not work I tried the option to create an AVCHD Disc and did everything the same, but got the same result. After that I found out, that AVCHD Version 2 does support 1080p with 50fps, but Version 1 does not. So I thought maybe my BluRay-Player is too old to support 50fps and changed the Framerate with (Alter detected properties) in the video settings dialog to 25fps. But again I got the same rsults.

I found the info, that I could just copy the m2ts-Files to a USB stick to check if it is working and I tried again with AVCHD (strict) and again 50fps, created the directory and copied the m2ts files from AVCHD\BDMV\STREAM to a stick (to save on discs) and put that into the BluRay-Player and it could not detect any comaptible videos on the stick.

So at this point I don't know what I'm doing wrong or what I can change to get this working. Does anyone have a hint on what information I'm missing or what I could try?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Paste a mediainfo statement of the video.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do not make blu-rays but according to file spec in 'What is' (top of this screen) 1080p 50fps is not allowed for blu ray. That may already explain why the program wanted to rescale to 720p. Or you do indeed use 25 fps video (conversion from 50 fps to 25 fps can itself create issues)

Yes, avchd 2.0 does allow for 1080p 50 fps but then avchd is not a universal format. Panasonic does have its own implementation of avchd so that may have to be selected at the encode stage and even then your player might not support avchd - check the manual. On top of that avchd is usually meant for burning on to dvd disks and not bly ray disks.

But why are you creating an ISO (even if you have allowed the specs) ?. Surely you can just create the folders and burn then direct to disk.

Just my 2 cents.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Blu-Disc Studio developer CDK's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Kraven View Post
    I added my video file (V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC 1080p 50fps Ref frames 2)
    After that I found out, that AVCHD Version 2 does support 1080p with 50fps, but Version 1 does not. So I thought maybe my BluRay-Player is too old to support 50fps and changed the Framerate with (Alter detected properties) in the video settings dialog to 25fps. But again I got the same rsults.
    I suppose that "AVCHD Version 2" means BD UHD. Blu-ray supports 25i only. 25p/50p supported by UHD only. You can see it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Video
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No, that is a different beast. AVCHD is a consumer recording standard, used most often for camcorder media. And as previously mentioned, it is not universally supported.

What you see in that link may or may not be correct, as I am still not convinced UHD BD supports above 30fps (have never seen one IRL), but even if it does, as per the UHD spec that would only apply to the UHD resolutions and only using HEVC/h265 as the codec.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hello,

it took some time, for me to test it, so sorry for being so late with a reply on all the feedback.

TLDR: Now it all works. Using the 24p I found in the "What is" menu brought to my attention by DB83 did the trick. Thanks a lot for the nudge in the right direction.

Long story:
    In my first try, the BluRay didn't even have working sound. (Of course I skipped the step of testing it with Deamon Tools in VLC first). So I tested it with VLC and it did not work there either. Because I already deleted the different failed tries, I wanted to recreate one of those, that at least worked in VLC and now multiAVCHD started crashing while trying to create the BluRay image. That got me to the point of trying another program, which too crashed. So I ran some diagnostics and it turned out, some system file was damaged, repairing it, made the programs stable again.

So after solving that problem I tried again to recreate a BluRay that at least worked in VLC. But every try from that point on did not work in VLC anymore. After quite some tries I accidentally clicked the skip menu checkbox in VLC and the video started running. So even though I skipped all the menus and did not even create a menu it still stopped working in the menu.

So I simply tried to create a BluRay with menu in 24p and just burned it on a disc and tried that and it that solved the problems. I don't know why it now demands a menu, which worked fine without in the beginning, but I'm at the point of just accepting it and being glad I get a working BluRay. Guess it is less work, to design a simple menu, than to try to solve that problem.

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    But why are you creating an ISO (even if you have allowed the specs) ?. Surely you can just create the folders and burn then direct to disk.
    Mainly, because the BluRay contains a video of a kids theater play that will go out to the parents (those who wanted a BluRay). And I wanted it to be as eassy as possible for them to play it, so I figured having it in a BluRay standard means, they can put the disc in a player and just play it and it should work. If it was just for me, I would have tried the video as data approach.

Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    No, that is a different beast. AVCHD is a consumer recording standard, used most often for camcorder media.
    Only tried that because the BluRay option did not work. And you were right with that not supporting over 30fps, but after the standard seems to say 24fps max at 1920x1080 in progressive mode I used that to be sure and now I could use the BluRay option.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Glad that it appears to be working now.

Burning BD compatable folders is not a 'data approach'. You should still end up with a working BD. And missed out the 'middle-man' ie the ISO.
    Quote Quote  
  8. render out the video to 1080i with your NLE then encode it with x264 (I suggest 13-18 Mbps)

https://web.archive.org/web/20160313134727/http://www.x264bluray.com/home/1080i

use a proper authoring program to mux video/audio to BD spec, if the video is non compliant, it should refuse to mux

stop using VLC to test BD playback, use bd-re on standalone player.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by 4kblurayguru View Post
    stop using VLC to test BD playback, use bd-re on standalone player.
    I test is one after another. If VLC does not work, there is no reason to waste a disc. If VLC works, than I burn it on a disc, to test it on the standalone player.
    Quote Quote