VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys! New member here. I registered because I was hoping someone on the forum might know of a way to fix this.

This is probably kind of a stupid predicament to be in, but anyway: a while back, my Blu-ray writer seemed to be acting a bit unstable when I was ripping some CDs to my laptop. In retrospect, I'm thinking the problem might have been that the USB cable was getting worn down and needed to be changed. Right now, however, that's irrelevant because of this bigger problem...

Looking for solutions online, I came across a website with different "fixes", where one of the suggestions was to uninstall and reinstall the drive for the BD writer, to see if that might improve performance. In theory (at least according to the site), the drive should re-install itself once I plugged the Blu-ray writer back in. Here's the problem, though: the drive DIDN'T re-install itself afterwards, and now I have no idea how to get it re-installed and get the BD writer working again. It still gets power whenever I plug it into the laptop, but it no longer shows up under 'Devices and drivers'. And needless to say, it doesn't play any discs when I insert them.

The Blu-ray writer is an ASUS Blu-Ray Writer SBW-06D2X-U. My laptop is an ASUS ZenBook Pro UX550VE 15.6".

Anybody have any ideas? I feel like there should be a simple solution to this, but I haven't found it anywhere. It shouldn't be THAT difficult to get the drive for a piece of hardware back after you uninstall it for whatever reason.
    Last edited by Vidint; 21st Dec 2022 at 19:52.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Look in the control panel/device manager and see if there is an error there.If there is then delete the error and see if it works that way.Last thing you can do is a system restore the day before it happened.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you manually install a driver when you first installed this blu-ray writer?

Unplug the device.

Open an Admin command prompt and enter these two commands
    Code:
    set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    start Devmgmt.msc
    When the device manager opens, select View/show hidden devices
    Expand DVD/CDROM drives, Portable devices, Universal serial bus controllers, in each case delete any occurrences
    corresponding to the device
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Did you manually install a driver when you first installed this blu-ray writer?

Unplug the device.

Open an Admin command prompt and enter these two commands
    Code:
    set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    start Devmgmt.msc
    When the device manager opens, select View/show hidden devices
    Expand DVD/CDROM drives, Portable devices, Universal serial bus controllers, in each case delete any occurrences
    corresponding to the device
    I can't remember whether I manually installed a driver back when I first installed the BD writer. It was over four years ago. All I recall is that it went quickly and easily.

I tried following your instructions here. But I'm wondering... how do I know which occurrences in the device manager are corresponding to the BD writer? For instance, here is all the stuff listed under "Universal Serial Bus controllers":

I'm also wondering what the deletion of the occurrences is meant to accomplish. Is the idea that it will "reset" everything so the writer can afterwards be re-installed from scratch?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes that was the idea. I don't see any candidates there,
    Mass storage device might be usb sticks you inserted before.

Did you try zing269's suggestion to see if you have initio device class?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I did look at zing269's suggestion as posted here...

Originally Posted by zing269 View Post
    ...but I must admit I'm a bit uneasy about uninstalling the "Initio Default Controller" under Initio Combo Device Class, which is what that guide suggests. (Yes, I do have that in my Device Manager.) It sounds kind of important. And uninstalling something that I thought would re-install by itself is what got me into this mess to begin with.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How did you uninstall it ? Delete it from device manager?
    Proper way would have been to go through windows settings.
    Is the initio device greyed out as the mass storage devices are above?
    That means it's not in use at the moment.
    Somebody had similar issue here
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/initio-combo-device-driver-where...9-d3c045037416
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What i would do is delete all the unknown usb devices since they all fail.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Since they "all" fail? I have never had trouble with USB devices except for the BD writer.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    How did you uninstall it ? Delete it from device manager?
    Proper way would have been to go through windows settings.
    Yeah, I'm 99% sure I uninstalled it through Device Manager. If I recall, I used the method "Reinstall Your Blu-ray drivers" in this guide: https://www.driversupport.com/knowledge-article/your-blu-ray-player-is-not-recognizing...iscs-now-what/

Reinstall Your Blu-ray drivers

If updated drivers are not doing the trick, try reinstalling your drivers. A fresh driver install could help repair corrupted Blu-ray drivers. Here’s how:

1. Go to the Start menu and Search for Device Manager
    2. Expand the DVD/CD-ROM drivers tab
    3. Right-click your Blu-ray and select Uninstall Once you restart, Windows should install the driver automatically.
    The website made it sound very straightforward... yet it wasn't, when I tried to get it working again.

What would be the "proper way" to uninstall a BD writer through Windows settings?

Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Is the initio device greyed out as the mass storage devices are above?
    That means it's not in use at the moment.
    Somebody had similar issue here
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/initio-combo-device-driver-where...9-d3c045037416
    Yup, it's greyed out.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Vidint View Post
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Since they "all" fail? I have never had trouble with USB devices except for the BD writer.
    That's the device that's failing,if you read what you posted the device failed 4 times,that's what i meant about all the devices that failed.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Try the following:
    download this

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/DeviceCleanup.zip

Unzip to any location.
    Start the windows device manager and delete all DVD-Player/BR-Player Drives listed.
    Don't reboot.

Right-click Devicecleanup.exe (select the correct version for your operating system), start as administrator.
    All unused devices are displayed.
    Delete all entries except those from unconnected printers that you still want to use.

Restart your computer.
    Plug in your external USB BR drive. It should now be automatically detected and correctly installed.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I uninstalled the Initio Default Controller (with the BD writer plugged in), but it didn't help any. The only difference is that now, the BD writer is showing up under Universal Serial Bus controllers as "USB Mass Storage Device". And it has an error code, as can be seen here:

Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Uninstall it and restart your laptop.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Uninstall it and restart your laptop.
    I just uninstalled it with the BD writer plugged in. It made no difference whatsoever. The computer rebooted and it's back as "UBS Mass Storage Device" in Device Manager, and still not working.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try the burner on another computer to rule out that it's faulty.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I don't have another computer to try it on. But I'm 99% sure the problem is that the writer doesn't want to re-install. Under Events (in USB Mass Storage Device Properties), it also says that the device requires further installation.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Vidint View Post
    I don't have another computer to try it on. But I'm 99% sure the problem is that the writer doesn't want to re-install. Under Events (in USB Mass Storage Device Properties), it also says that the device requires further installation.
    try selecting update driver and see if that solves your writer issue - https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-device-requires-further-installation-on-windows-10/
    Quote Quote  
  19. satan's little helper teamsatan's Avatar
    Search PM
    The same thing happened to me 2 months ago. On my computer, there are Nvidia drivers for all USB ports.
    For some reason, the USB ports stopped working as they should.
    So I contacted Nvidia support and they said to reinstall GeForce Experience, then it worked. Don't know how it is with your USB ports but as I said mine started working after that.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This has happened to me 2x in the past couple of months. Here is what got me up and running. I had to edit the registry.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/your-cd-or-dvd-drive-is-not-recognized-by-wi...8-cf9cc38ca53e
    Quote Quote