VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using WinDV and a Sony GD-200 to transfer my Hi8, Digital 8, and VHS tapes to AVI. I thought the transfers were going fine until I watched one all the way through. That's when I noticed the audio and video drifting more and more out of sync as more time elapsed. I have WinDV set to Type 2 capture, and Threshold set to 0. Help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hard to say. maybe you have a 12bit/16bit audio problem? DV can have either 12 or 16 bit audio.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have my GD-200 set to 12 bit audio. I'll try switching the GD-200 to 16 bit and see what happens. Does this happen when the bit rate is mismatched between the source tape and the playback unit audio setting?
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you are going to have to re-do some of the transfers, I highly recommend that you use Scenalyzer instead of WinDV:

http://www.scenalyzer.com/

It used to be a paid program, but Andi let it become freeware when the DV market dried up. It has some options that I think may cure the problem. If I remember correctly it happened because some apps assumed 30 fps instead of 29.97 for NTSC video.

[edit] The Scenalyzer menu setting is "Keep DV audio in sync."
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    If you are going to have to re-do some of the transfers, I highly recommend that you use Scenalyzer instead of WinDV:

It used to be a paid program, but Andi let it become freeware when the DV market dried up. It has some options that I think may cure the problem. If I remember correctly it happened because some apps assumed 30 fps instead of 29.97 for NTSC video.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give Scenalyzer a go. I can tell from my camera settings that the audio was recorded at 12 bits, which I understand can be a problem for some capture software. I'll try Scenalyzer and report back.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Obtong View Post
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    If you are going to have to re-do some of the transfers, I highly recommend that you use Scenalyzer instead of WinDV:

Thanks for the tip. I'll give Scenalyzer a go. I can tell from my camera settings that the audio was recorded at 12 bits, which I understand can be a problem for some capture software. I'll try Scenalyzer and report back.
    Definitely go through ALL the menus to make sure you've looked at every setting that might affect capture sync. There is a "view all" (that's not the name, but that's the function) that lets you see all preferences in one big dialog box.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I spent a little time looking over the options in Scenalyzer to make sure I hadn't overlooked anything, and also set the checkbox to "Keep DV audio in sync". Worked a treat! Thanks everybody!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Obtong View Post
    I spent a little time looking over the options in Scenalyzer to make sure I hadn't overlooked anything, and also set the checkbox to "Keep DV audio in sync". Worked a treat! Thanks everybody!
    Back when all home digital video was DV on tape, Scenalyzer was a game changer. Andi put so many cool features in it, like the ability to turn off the capture after a certain time, or the ability to scan a tape in FF speed in just a few minutes, and then use the thumbnails from that to decide which portions of the tape to capture.

I could go on. I was (and still am) a major fan.
    Quote Quote