VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    i would really like to have virtualdub with all the codec portable , i mean have it on my usb stick

on portable apps there is the link of version 1.10.4 portable and VirtualDub Portable Plugins Pack

i can't install the virtualdub portable plugins pack
    i download both files , i run first virtualdub and after virtualdub portable plugin pack but i can't see and use the plugins

may i ask 2 question?
    1)
    can someone help me how have virtualdub + portable plugins pack working?

2)
    after installing all the plugins , can virtualdub direct stream copy all the video files inclueded in the plugin pack?

thanks
    sorry for my really poor english
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What does the pack contain?

And you must install ACM codecs. You can't have them "portable".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    What does the pack contain?

And you must install ACM codecs. You can't have them "portable".
    hi
    thanks for the answer

but the site state they are both portable
    http://portableapps.com/apps/music_video/virtualdub_portable
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    ^ Yes, one can "wrap" VirtualDub plus ICM&ACM codecs plus input plugins in a single portable .EXE file.

When executed, the package would create a "Virtual Registry" in the RAM, in order to fool the main application.

But I am not sure if that is what you're really looking for
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    ^ Yes, one can "wrap" VirtualDub plus ICM&ACM codecs plus input plugins in a single portable .EXE file.

When executed, the package would create a "Virtual Registry" in the RAM, in order to fool the main application.

But I am not sure if that is what you're really looking for
    hi
    i'm not very expert

well i would like to have virtualdub and all his codec installed on my machine
    and i have maybe a portable version on my usb stick to have with me without installing on other pcs

1) how can have virtualdub and all his codec/encoders installed?
    i download virtualdub , how can i install the encoders/codecs ? is enough copy in virtualdub folder?
    the encoders/codec i can find here https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Virtualdub

2) about the portable version , i was not able to have the codec working

thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Well, you would have to ask (or hire) someone for creating a FULLY-featured portable edition of VirtualDub.

The site PortableApps cannot include codecs such as DivX in their releases, because that would be illegal
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Well, you would have to ask (or hire) someone for creating a FULLY-featured portable edition of VirtualDub.

The site PortableApps cannot include codecs such as DivX in their releases, because that would be illegal
    hi
    thanks a lot for the answer , i'm sure the site include only free legit codec

may i ask you a question about virtualdub?

wich kind of files (codec) can virtualdub use direct stream copy ?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by rama View Post
    If it can open the AVI, it can use direct stream copy for the video. If you don't have the correct codecs installed for VirtualDub to decode the video, direct stream copy will be the only option. The same probably applies to the audio.

I don't use VirtualDub much, but if any of this info helps...... There's a bunch of input plugins on the VideoHelp VirtualDub page. They'll let VirtualDub open different file types. The FFMPEG Input Driver plugin opens lots of file types and it'll also decode the video and audio. If you use it to open a file you can't use direct stream copy because it's being decoded. Well you can, but direct stream copy will give you uncompressed video/audio and huge files, not the original video/audio.

The portable plugins you referred to earlier seem to be a collection of the fcchandler input plugins. I don't know how many of them actually decode, or if they just let you open different types of files, but if all else fails there's the FFMPEG Input Driver plugin.

The newer versions of VirtualDub have an external encoder function (under options). It allows VirtualDub to encode using command line versions of various encoders. So if there's a command line version you could put it on a thumb drive. It needs to be configured, and getting it to work might be a bit of trial and error, but once it's working, it keeps working. The command line version of Xvid is called xvid_encraw. I use it occasionally with MeGUI but I've never tried to use it with VirtualDub so I couldn't tell you what command line you'd need to use. I couldn't find anything via a quik Google search, but it's a command line encoder so I can't imagine why you shouldn't be able to get it to work. You might also need an external muxer. Here's a couple of links to get you started, at least. Maybe you can make yourself a portable version which does what you need.

http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=18840&st=0
    http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=21733
    http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=22055

I'm not really sure what the advantage of the portable Virtualdub you linked to would be over simply using the standard version. It doesn't need to be "installed" either.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Originally Posted by rama View Post
    If it can open the AVI, it can use direct stream copy for the video. If you don't have the correct codecs installed for VirtualDub to decode the video, direct stream copy will be the only option. The same probably applies to the audio.

thanks a lot hello_hello
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!