VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    Does anyone know which Mac download manager is the best to use that is most compatible w/ Megaupload? Is it Igetter or Speed Download? Or something else?
    I have tried out Speed Download but couldn't get the downloading scheduling to work.

Also, in order to download multiple files from Megaupload via a download manager, do you need to have premium account?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have iGetter, but with the free downloads on most file host sites, you are not allowed to use a download manager or download more than one file at a time.

iGetter doesn't work on VersionTracker becasue VT uses the back button on the browser when you click download. That causes multiple download of the same file to spawn until you force quit or something crashes.

Since getting dsl, I haven't used a download manager much. Firefox and DownThemAll allows queueing multiple downloads if the file host allows it.

If you are using the free download services you can get around the files/hour restrictions by setting Firefox to clear private data on closing and opening your Network Prefs and renew your DHCP lease. A new IP and no cookies = as many free downloads as you want or need.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I currently don't have premium accounts w/ Mega but may plan to get one later on.

Is Down Them All a plugin for FireFox?

One dumb question though. How do I open “Network Prefs and renew your DHCP lease” to change the setting? I went to my System Pref>Network and it shows Built in Ethernet. Now, do I click configure?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DownThemAll is free here: http://www.downthemall.net/

Click System prefs>Network> and click the lock and give an admin password to open it if necessary. Click ethernet once to highlight it, Configure> TCP/IP tab and click renew DHCP Lease. It will grey out and then come back with a new addy.

This assumes you are using IPv4 using "DHCP" and not manually, off, or BootP. If you connect using PPPoE, then you would want to "Show PPPoE status in the Menu Bar" click that and disconnect/reconnect.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have one more question.
    Which download managing program is better, Speed Download or iGetter? Others?
    This would be for downloading a bunch of files from Megaupload w/ premium account.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have speed download, and use it with rapidshare (with my premium account) and works awesome. downloads 2x faster than if I did on firefox, but uses a lot of cpu.
    Quote Quote