VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys does anyone understand how AC Adaptors compatibility works? I had a near miss with a frayed adaptor lead with my laptop. I have acquired two adaptors that nearly match the original damaged adaptor specs. I need to know if the specs on either of these two adaptors are OK to use on my Dell D620, the original specs on the damaged adaptor worked just fine. Sorry I do not have the Model, P/N to hand but can post if needed. Many thanks visionman

Damaged Dell adaptor spec
    Dell PA 12 Family 65 Watt
    Model
    Input 100 - 240v 1.5A 50-60HZ
    Outpot 19 - 5v 3.34 A

Replacement Dell adaptor spec
    Dell PA 12 Family ? Watt
    Model
    Input 100 - 240v 1.7A 50-60HZ
    Outpot 19 - 5v 3.34 A

Replacement Generic adaptor spec
    Dell PA 12 Family 90 Watt
    Model
    Input 100 - 240v 1.6A 50-60HZ
    Outpot 19 - 5v 4..2 6 A
    Health IS the first Wealth------So do not strain your eyes!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Pretty much all Dell ac adapters are the same for the D and E series (except wattage), until they just recently moved to a USB-C charging adapter
    I would go with a 90 or 130 watt adapter.
    90w adapters were for their Precision line of laptops
    130w adapters were used in the D and E docking stations

I know Rayovac branded adapters work too.
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi stiltman thanks , you seem pretty knowledgeable about these adaptors Ii have included the MODEL and Part numbers of the two Dell adaptors. Also a few corrections to the input and output values of the generic adaptor.
    As you can see both the two replacement adaptors are quite similar values

Dell replacement has exact same output values, but a slightly higher input value at 1.7 A
    The generic adaptor having the exact same input value but higher output values in Ampere at 4.62 A

Are you saying that the higher input value at 1.7 A on the Dell replacement adaptor will have no detrimental effect if I plug it into the laptop? Just checking; it’s the same in every other aspect same PA Family voltage and Hz and output Amperes.
    Again many thanks. visionman

edited corrections to values

Damaged Dell adaptor spec
    Dell PA 12 Family 65 Watt
    Model PA -1650 -05D DP/N 05U092
    Input 100 - 240v 1.5A 50-60 HZ
    Outpot 19 - 5v 3.34 A

Replacement Dell adaptor spec
    Dell PA 12 Family ? Watt
    Model FAO65LS1 – 1 P/N OK9T GR
    Input 100 - 240v 1.7A 50-60 HZ
    Outpot 19 - 5v 3.34 A

Replacement Generic adaptor spec
    Model DL - 05D 90 Watt
    Input 100 - 240v 1.5A 50-60 HZ
    Outpot 19 - 5v 4..62 A
    Quote Quote  
  4. You just need the to worry about output. Here is an example of 3 different ac adapters that will work with Dell Latitudes
    They all output 19.5V but have different amps V*A = W
    In Dell's case, higher the wattage, the faster it will charge in most cases. Dell has a built-in charging circuit regulator

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dell-ac-adapters.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	659.7 KB
ID:	43366
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi stiltman , thanks for your recent reply . I think you are spot on regarding these a c adaptors. However, it is academic at the moment, as when I tried to turn on the Laptop, before and after plugging in the Dell replacement adaptor (the one with the 1.7 a Input value), the Laptop would not start. Originally when the frayed adaptor cables wires touched the Laptop went dead, I very quickly removed the cable ( 5-7 sec) I restarted the laptop and it started up, loaded Win and I switched it off, thinking I had a near miss. I don't know if it is a discharged battery I left it for about 10 days with only a half charge or less in the battery. Anyway its a new post regarding changing over the licence to another laptop if I can, and coming back to this laptop later to see if I can gain some insights on how to go about fixing it. thanks a lot for your help in this matter, all the best, visionman
    Quote Quote  
  6. Take the battery out. Plug in ac adapter.
    If you cannot start the laptop, either the ac adapter is bad or you blew up the charging regulator circuit on the laptop
    The frayed wires actually touching and shorting out, suggests the charging regulator on the motherboard is now history.
    That D620 is like 10 years old, so it's not really worth trying to fix it. If you want to try anyway, you'll need at least a replacement motherboard
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK Stiltman, 10 out of 10 back on board, eureka! It’s working again. You would not believe the circumstances; yes one of the adaptors did not work even though the little green light on the adaptor came on. Battery was flat as a pancake but charged up fully once the generic adaptor was plugged in, and I forgot to take the battery out the second time. After reading the post I tried the Dell adaptor as soon as I got home, didn't work, I didn't think the generic would work either so I just left it on the side, about an hour and a half later I thought I will give it a try nothing to lose, I forgot to take out the battery I could not believe it when the little green light came on, the charging light. Many thanks for all the advice regarding this matter, all the best

visionman
    Quote Quote  
  8. Glad you got it working
    Quote Quote