VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys,

I'm fairly new here so I apologise if I post this in the wrong place.

I was wondering if anyone can do a region free code for the model mentioned above? I checked the list and it appears that LG's are fairly neglected in this respect lol. Its a fantastic player and supports a number of video play back formats from a harddrive.

I was wondering is there anyway to check if it is region locked other than by actually testing an american DVD or is there something obvious in the manual that I am missing?

I also wondered what is involved in finding/making a region free code? I mean is it something I could do by myself or is it only something that a techie guy who has done it before can do? I'm pretty technically minded with pc's and laptops but no idea when it comes to DVD and Blu Ray players

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by DCUltrapro; 6th Mar 2013 at 11:39.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    NOT gonna happen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok... any reason why not? Which part? Do you mean a code for my player won't happen or me wanting to understand how it works? Is there something obvious about LG's that I don't know?
    Last edited by DCUltrapro; 6th Mar 2013 at 11:47.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You are about a decade too late.
    Finding a hackable DVD player is hard nowadays.
    Finding a hackable Blu Ray player is VERY hard nowadays.
    Finding a hackable 3D or "Theater System" Blu Ray player is 99.99% impossible nowadays.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok... well I just thought as there were some Samsung blu ray drives that have codes on the list on this site that it might be possible. So is there not any other way of doing this or am I basically f*cked? lol
    Quote Quote  
  6. The number of BD standalone players that could be unlocked was very small; some Philips models and a Canadian version of a Seiki, IIRC. Maybe a couple more. And it almost always only applied to DVD regions, not Blu-ray.

I'm not aware of any recent/current models that can be unlocked. The Blu-Ray Association has pretty much seen to that. Players must be licensed by them to be capable of AACS decryption, and must adhere to their wishes in all other respects as well.

You can always rip (decrypt and copy to hard drive). This removes region coding. You can leave the files in their original container, or, say make MKVs and stream them via USB from external powered hard drive through your standalone player.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DCUltrapro View Post
    ok... any reason why not? Which part? Do you mean a code for my player won't happen or me wanting to understand how it works? Is there something obvious about LG's that I don't know?
    He means Blu Ray players in general have been designed so they can't be made region free for DVD or Blu-Ray with a simple unlock code. It requires more resources than most individual have at their disposal.

The specialty retailers in the US that do sell unlocked versions of your player and other LG Blu-Ray players here claim to either have installed custom firmware or to have modified the hardware by replacing one or more parts with their own version.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    NOT casting any bad remarks on my most visited site(this one)....but the "hacks" section is chocked full of un-verifiable information. Anybody can pop in and post a hack. To me it almost seems like people get their jollies posting bad information. This problem started when Blu Ray arrived mostly.
    DVD player hacks....OK
    Blu Ray player hacks....I don't trust them.
    There have only been a handful of hackable Blu Ray players....and 90% of the hacks effected DVD playback only.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok thanks guys some helpful information there! much appreciated. I probably should have clarified, I don't want the Blu Ray player to be unlocked for Blu Ray Discs, I just want it to be able to play American DVD's. I don't have any other region blu rays and I was under the impression (I could be wrong) that Blu Ray discs are region free, so its just my DVD's from the US that I would like to be able to play on it.

so to be clear I only want the dvds to work as all my blu rays are PAL

If the only viable solution is to rip the DVDs to pc and convert them to MKV for example as one poster suggested I wouldn't be against that particular solution, though I have no idea how to do this as, I assume, my desktop dvd drive will only accept Region 2 DVDs...? maybe someone can confirm that? I will go over to the DVD ripping section of the forum if that turns out to be my only recourse

thanks again guys
    Last edited by DCUltrapro; 6th Mar 2013 at 12:12.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok thanks guys some helpful information there! much appreciated. I probably should have clarified, I don't want the Blu Ray player to be unlocked for Blu Ray Discs, I just want it to be able to play American DVD's. I don't have any other region blu rays and I was under the impression (I could be wrong) that Blu Ray discs are region free, so its just my DVD's from the US that I would like to be able to play on it.

so to be clear I only want the dvds to work as all my blu rays are PAL

If the only viable solution is to rip the DVDs to pc and convert them to MKV for example as one poster suggested I wouldn't be against that particular solution, though I have no idea how to do this as, I assume, my desktop dvd drive will only accept Region 2 DVDs...? maybe someone can confirm that? I will go over to the DVD ripping section of the forum if that turns out to be my only recourse

thanks again guys
    You can't make most Blu-ray players (including yours apparently) region free for DVD with a simple unlock code. Is that now clear?

Blu-Ray discs can be region coded but many are all-region. The movie studio decides whether or not region codes are used for a particular release. There are 3 regions, A, B, and C. The US is in region A and the UK is in region B.

DVD ripping programs ignore the region setting on the drive and on the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Many Blu-Rays are region-free, but by no means all. Here's one list:

http://regionfreemovies.com/

As to ripping, it doesn't matter to the decrypter what the region code is, which will be removed anyway. AnyDVDHD and DVDFabPasskey can decrypt on the fly, as they're driver-level. With the regular DVDFab, you must copy to hard drive before doing anything else. These are the most reliable decrypters available.

There's also MakeMKV, which is free while it's still beta. It can rip and convert to an MKV in one go, no re-encoding with consequent quality loss. You might try that.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I assume, my desktop dvd drive will only accept Region 2 DVDs...?
    Programs like DVDFabDecrypter take care of hiding the disc's region from your drive.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Dreamcast Freak! DCUltrapro's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    yeah thats clear, sorry I just thought it might be more likely to unlock region coding for dvds on these players based on hech54's comment

"There have only been a handful of hackable Blu Ray players....and 90% of the hacks effected DVD playback only."

that was the only thing that prompted me to mention it again. I will look into ripping

cheers guys
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    ok... well I just thought as there were some Samsung blu ray drives that have codes on the list on this site that it might be possible. So is there not any other way of doing this or am I basically f*cked? lol
    Just so you know, Sony and Samsung both are the most difficult to unlock players in the world, whether DVD or BluRay. A few Samsung players can actually be unlocked, but most can't. We've had one unconfirmed report of a Samsung BD player sold in North America that supposedly could be unlocked, but I wouldn't bet on it.

It might be worth your while to just buy a DVD player that can be unlocked and use it for DVD playing. I have a cheap Philips DVD player that I use when I play DVDs. It's unlocked and it takes some of the wear and tear off my BluRay player to not have to use it to play DVDs.

For a while some Insignia BluRay players (this is a cheap brand made in China) sold in North America could actually be unlocked for both DVD and BluRay playback, but I don't know if those players are readily available any more or not. There are some negatives with those players though. I've got one. You have to downgrade the firmware to make it region free and the downgraded firmware doesn't like BD-R LTH discs and it can't always play standard definition video correctly from BluRay discs, so extra features in standard definition sometimes get a really tiny window for playback on the TV.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Guys, I appreciate all the comments about the possibility to hack the LG Bp325 blu ray player. I understand that is maybe not easy but the same model is also commercialized in region free: http://www.world-import.com/LG-BP-325-3-D-Fully-Region-Free-DVD-Region-A-B-C-Blu-Ray-Player.htm
    It means that is possible to change the region of the BP325.
    What do you think about.....?????
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    All or almost all of the players that World Import sells have been hardware modified by them to be region free. That's why players cost more from them than other sellers. The odds of that player NOT being hardware modified by World Import, which means that your player can be made region free via a code instead of a hardware modification, are very very low.

The original post was a year ago and nobody has posted a solution. I think it's time to accept the fact that you won't be able to unlock this player. There are companies that offer to hardware modify players for you at a cost. You might search on the internet to see if such a company is in Europe and can modify your player. It won't be cheap though.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I have a problem with BP325N, everything works but when I try to use a 3d blu-ray media is giving a small locked it hard not lock in 2d tested on another device with the same cable works perfectly what I have to do to solve this problem
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey There, did you ever get your region code issue fixed?
    I am looking to do the same for my BP 325...

Thanks,
    Greg
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Not yet Greg, I'm still looking for a solution. If you get it let me know.
    Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  20. I bought a BP325 region free blu-ray/dvd player online. BUT... it worked fine for years and now it won't play a US Blu-ray disc (the movie Arrival). It played Rogue One, but won't play Arrival. Now I want to know how to upgrade the firmware/software without getting rid of the region free capability of the machine? I play dvds from Germany and blu-rays/dvds from the US and can't lose the region free functionality. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote