VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I am aware that there is no such thing as iLink to HDMI or firewire to HDMI adapter or cable, That's a fact. If someone wants to connect a D-VHS deck with the only digital video output is the iLink to a monitor with HDMI input only, Is there some kind of middle man device that can be used for this purpose besides the computer? Could a device be made from the guts of those LCD TV's that were made in the early 2000's? because most of them had an iLink input for displaying video from devices with firewire ports such as D-VHS decks, HDTV Cable boxes, HDV camcorders, So it could be possible to isolate the board that contains the iLink connector and find the uncompressed video signal output pins, This signal possibly be an exact HDMI compliant signal, It takes a knowledgeable person to do that though.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The iLink/FireWire output from a D-VHS deck contains an MPEG-2 transport stream. Whatever device is receiving the output needs to be able to control the tape deck, demultiplex the transport stream and decode the audio and video to provide a picture and audio via HDMI.

The only successful method I've heard of for capturing and displaying the IEEE-1394a output from a DVHS deck on a monitor involves using a computer. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/403695-how-record-via-ieee-1394-firewi...l#post24242831
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Yes I used VLC successfully with my computer to preview all my IEEE-1394 equipped decks, It would be nice if there is a way to preview the contents on a monitor or a TV without having to use the computer or the lossy analog outputs on the decks. Grass Valley made a HDMI to firewire converter box but not the other way around.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    If someone wants to connect a D-VHS deck with the only digital video output is the iLink to a monitor with HDMI input only, Is there some kind of middle man device that can be used for this purpose besides the computer?
    Maybe a $$$ second D-VHS unit with HDMI output would work as a middleman. You didn't mention a budget...

List of D-VHS models, with a few feature notes
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    If someone wants to connect a D-VHS deck with the only digital video output is the iLink to a monitor with HDMI input only, Is there some kind of middle man device that can be used for this purpose besides the computer?
    Maybe a $$$ second D-VHS unit with HDMI output would work as a middleman. You didn't mention a budget...

I've been trying to hunt down a D-VHS deck with HDMI output for the last few years with no luck, When they do show up on ebay they are usually over $1000. I'm not a collector, I'm a hobbyist I don't usually pay more than $300 for vintage electronics.
    Does the D-VHS deck outputs firewire stream thru HDMI though?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM

I've been trying to hunt down a D-VHS deck with HDMI output for the last few years with no luck, When they do show up on ebay they are usually over $1000. I'm not a collector, I'm a hobbyist I don't usually pay more than $300 for vintage electronics.
    Does the D-VHS deck outputs firewire stream thru HDMI though?
    No. The iLink/FireWire output from a D-VHS deck contains an MPEG-2 transport stream. HDMI would carry decompressed video, not the original MPEG-2 from the transport stream like firewire carries. (Audio might be LPCM or AC3.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ^ I think he knows that and was just being imprecise. He noted "uncompressed" display in the OP.

For the HM-DH5U, one of the inputs you can cycle through while outputting HDMI is "I", so I assume if the unit can read an incoming stream, it will display it. Perhaps the manual offers some info. The HM-DT100U should work the same way; they're similar enough that they share the same service manual.

I wish they sold for $1000. That would be a tidy profit for me. Three listings over the past few months with a DT100 fetching $749 and a DH5U $400 (with manual, remote, Firewire cable, 3 used D-VHS tape, and new cleaning tape which has sold alone for $20).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One thing is certain, a D-VHS deck with HDMI out is more likely to produce usable HDMI output than a hack on an old TV with iLink in. I don't think it is likely that the ribbon cable connecting the TV's main board to the LCD panel controller board carries an HDMI signal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah. I've heard that LCDs internally use LVDS.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah. I've heard that LCDs internally use LVDS.
    Thanks for jogging my memory. I could almost but not quite remember the term "LVDS".
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    If the D-VHS deck decompresses the iLink stream and outputs it thru the HDMI output I will just replace my existing non HDMi unit with one with HDMI output and route other devices thru it, it's like hitting two birds with one stone. Vaporeon I never thought that you could search ebay history, Thanks for sharing, it comes in handy if you come across an item and you want to know how much it usually sells for.
    Quote Quote