VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Guest
    I've captured several VHS tapes into mpeg2 files (DVD format MPEG2), the VHS tapes all contained music videos. I want to split each music video off into it's own file so I can organize them and eventually write to a DVD.

I want to use a file splitter to do this so I don't have to use an editor and re-render each video (it would take days just to render it all). The mpeg2 file splitters I've seen only let you specify the time in the mpeg2 file to cause the split. Isn't there any splitter that lets me see the mpeg2 video while I'm choosing the location for the split?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my suggestion?
    use those splitters you mentioned that only let you specify the time of the split. but to find the time you want. just open the mpeg 2 file with windows media player. if you can't open an mpeg2 file. you have to install a software dvd player. believe me, it works, strangely enough.
    TA69
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if you have a copy of TMPGenc, from the FILE tab choose MPEG TOOLS, choose the CUT&MERGE tab, click ADD, Select the file you want to split, this brings it into the big white box, click on the file and click edit button.now using the scroll pointer you can accuratly specify a start and end point anywhere in your file. so you can cut a track from your music video say and save it as a seperate mpeg file
    Dont feed the little Varmits too much
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm also looking for a good mpeg-2 editor (specially cutter) which I can use to remove commercials from a DVD quality mpeg-2 files. Tmpgenc worked ok but it can only cut to a second (not to a frame or one tenth of a second), I need little more precision than a second. Haven't tried Adobe premier, but tried M2-edit pro 3.0 and VTech Video Clip Mpeg-2 pro 2.0 and they all seems to re-encode, so I don't know if I'm loosing quality by doing this.
    Anyone has any suggestion how to remove commercials without loosing quality.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I gotta admit eclipsed, i'm in the same boat as you. I always capture to mpeg 2, then convert to lossless avi. then back to whatever format i want to use. of course with lossless avi, you run into the 4gb limit. I wish there was a way to edit an mp2 directly with a powerful program. premiere can't open mp2 files. i've tried ulead video studio five, which can edit mp2 files directly. but it's just such a bad program i have a ton of trouble using it. if anyone knows of a better solution, let me know. of course an mpeg2 plug-in for adobe premiere would be ideal.
    TA69
    Quote Quote