VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hallo. I'm new here, and don't know much about video matters, but I hope I can get help here.

I'm just wondering what's happened to KeepVid in the last few days. Hitherto, I could download most videos quite easily (only a few blocking for unknown reasons), but now the site is asking me to join before I can use it. Well, okay - I guess I've joined lots of other sites, so I decided to do that. But then, despite saying the site could be used free, it's asking for my credit card information, and I heard warning bells loud and clear.
    Does anyone here know, please, whether it's safe to give them the information? Why do they want it if they say no charges will be made? Can they be trusted?
    Alternatively, are there any other good sites for downloading videos from YouTube? To be sure, if you Google for them, you will find mentions of dozens of them; but I have found that, when you go into them, most of them are either not there at all, or they fail for some reason. I used to have a few sites I used, but they have either changed to something else, or disappeared, or just fail to work; one of them works but says it won't download anything with music in it; another will give only low-resolution downloads. I now do not know of a single site that I can use.
    Can anyone please point me to a good site? Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

Michael.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Marsia Mariner
    FWIW, I stopped using Keepvid ages ago.

Can they be trusted?
    Nope.

en dot savefrom dot net has been much better.

But if you're not afraid of the command-line interface, I highly recommend youtube-dl.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm afraid savefrom net is one of those that will give you only low-resolution downloads. It *used* to be good, but then it dropped the higher-resolution options.
    But thanks for the other link; I'll look into it. I'm not afraid of a command line, as long as it explains how to use it.

Michael.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Go with 'youtube-dl', you'll be thankful you did. It is actually quite simple for a CLI program and is well documented and updated regularly.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    +1 for youtube-dl, I also have good luck with Clipgrab, which is a GUI* app.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Decent web interface alternative, besides using youtube-dl.

https://www.h3xed.com/blogmedia/youtube-info.php
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    excellent option!... perhaps a tad more complex for neophyte (someone used to keepvid ease), but not too bad! Folks should be directed to 'Stream Maps' after typing in the respective youtube video URL when they use the service: https://www.h3xed.com/blogmedia/youtube-info.php
    Quote Quote