VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, this is my first post here and I apologize if this was already covered on another thread. I keep finding sites telling me how to convert BD's to smaller, media player friendly formats. I bought Aiseesoft's Blu ray ripper program, and I have alcohol 120%. I have also tried AnyDVD HD. With any dvd hd, I was able to just copy an ISO that would fit on a BD, because the actual movie disc was only 19gb. I don't care about file size, I just want it to fit on a single layer bd(24gb). Basically, I don't want any quality loss, and I want to have the file in a format that is easily burned to bd so my sony bdp-s570 can recognize it. I used to use DVDShrink for my dvd movies. It would analyze the disc, allow me to remove unwanted audio and subtitle tracks, menus and such, then it would auto compress it to fit on a blank dvd. It would fill up the whole dvd with slight compression granted the movie wasn't real long. I'm looking for a similar solution. A format that isn't very compressed, just compressed to 24gb. Also, Blu-Ray Ripper has bitrate settings. Do i just max these out? Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You wasted your money on the Aiseesoft program most likely. And it's NOT a ripping program. Unfortunately many people and companies (curse you DVD Fab) use "rip" to mean "convert", but all rip really means is to copy the contents of a CD, DVD or BluRay disc to a computer as is. There's NO CONVERSION in that.

BD-Rebuilder is free and while it's not exactly like DVD Shrink, it offers more or less the same functionality for BluRay rips.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cool, thank you. I'm going to check out BD-Rebuilder right now.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BTW, do you have a link to a non-beta version? I'm not sure how stable the beta will be. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    BD Rebuilder is always found in "beta" status. The author may never release one that isn't called beta. You should be aware that BD Rebuilder will not decrypt a blu ray movie. You'll need to decrypt and rip to the hard drive first, preferably with AnyDVD HD, before using BD Rebuilder to compress the movie and remove any unwanted extras.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving you to our blu-ray ripping and reauthoring section.

Yep, use anydvd together with bd-rebuilder.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    One more thing to keep in mind about BD-Rebuilder - if your source BluRay video is interlaced VC-1, it may not be able to correctly re-encode it and it may fail with errors. Interlaced VC-1 is unusual and you may not ever see it, but it is used sometimes. When I've seen it used it's been on extra features. I don't recall ever seeing a main movie encoded with it, although it could be done. If you only end up ripping and copying main movies then you will very likely never encounter this problem. I just mention it because there is no fix for it if BD-Rebuilder chokes and dies on interlaced VC-1. You can tell if you have interlaced VC-1 when opening the rip in BD-Rebuilder because you will see VC-1 as the video codec and a frame rate of 29.97 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you guys. You've been very helpful. I tried running BD-Rebuilder and it gave me an error on startup, something about a corrupt or missing dependency. I then read the read me and realized there was some more software I needed for BD-Rebuilder to work. Getting these now, and again, I appreciate the help!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    You wasted your money on the Aiseesoft program most likely. And it's NOT a ripping program. Unfortunately many people and companies (curse you DVD Fab) use "rip" to mean "convert", but all rip really means is to copy the contents of a CD, DVD or BluRay disc to a computer as is. There's NO CONVERSION in that.

BD-Rebuilder is free and while it's not exactly like DVD Shrink, it offers more or less the same functionality for BluRay rips.
    Hello Everybody

I read on the website of Aiseesoft that this software CAN compress blu ray 50 DL to 25 SL
    I have been looking for the most efficient software which would help me to retain quality but enable to compress BD DL to BD SL.
    BD REbuilder seems to take a lot of time to compress DL to SL, since it reencodes the material.

Is there any software to buy that will help me to e.g. delete audio tracks, menu, extras and at the same time will compress effectively and quickly BD DL to BD SL?

I will be very grateful for any help and comment.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use BD rebuilders "High Speed BD25" option,it will cut encode times almost in half. BR conversion is slow and needs a fast quad-core or better CPU to really cut encode times. The program you use will not effect encode times given the same encode option.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thank You for your reply.

Is BD rebuilder the best and most effective available at the moment?

Since it is a freeware software I thought that there should be something better which is not free of charge.

What about Aiseesoftor or DVDfab or anything else?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The people that create and sell Blu-ray videos don't want you to back them up or copy them for any reason and they make it as hard as possible to do so.
    That's one reason freeware often does a better job. None of the big name companies really want to take the risk of lawsuits.
    Many of the smaller pay companies that make claims of backing up BDs are using clones of freeware software and charging outrageous prices at times.
    So payware isn't always the best.
    Quote Quote