VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    1 - will this downgrade option be available during download?
    2 - does it have to be two individual downloads, one to each machine I want to upgrade?
    Nobody knows. You'll find out on Oct. 26.

My guess is the downloads will be DVD ISO images -- that's the form the previews took. So you'll only need to download once.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    i've got two more possibly really obvious questions but these are practical ones I want to know.

1 - will this downgrade option be available during download? In other words when I sign up for the windows 8 pro download will I immediately have the option to download windows 7 pro? Or will I have to download windows 8 and then tell it I want to use windows 7 pro and initiate another download?

The reason I'm asking is I don't have a windows 7 disc. So it would be kind of pointless if I were to just get an access code to windows 7 without having a physical download of windows 7.

2 - does it have to be two individual downloads, one to each machine I want to upgrade?

I'm debating about possibly putting it on my old xp machine - but i'd have to run the advisor on it since its quite old it might not be worth doing.

Anyway what I am asking is does the purchase and download both have to take place on the machine that is being upgraded? Reason I ask is my emachine is connected wirelessly. I wouldn't want to download a 4-8gb file over a wireless connection only to have a possible dropout midway through and have to start over.

If I had to have two seperate downloads (naturally I'd have to pay twice, I know that) I'd want to do that on my computer that is directly connected to my router.

I would hope that the iso you can burn with this download would let you pop it in another computer and then use the new separate purchased activation code without having to download it again to the machine you want to install it on.

Thanks.
    Microsoft hasn't posted the official version of terms for the $39.99 upgrade offer. There is just the windowteamblog.com page and various tech website stories. The windowteamblog.com page doesn't say how the downgrade rights will work, and the tech website stories are contradictory. Some of them say you must already have a copy of the downgrade OS to downgrade. I guess we must wait for the official $40 upgrade to become available to see how the downgrade option really works.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Nobody knows. You'll find out on Oct. 26.

My guess is the downloads will be DVD ISO images -- that's the form the previews took. So you'll only need to download once.
    The dvd iso image would be good. I'll have to wait then for firm details on this. Thanks.

Originally Posted by usually_quiet
    Microsoft hasn't posted the official version of terms for the $39.99 upgrade offer.
    Thats where my confusion/questions come from.

Some of them say you must already have a copy of the downgrade OS to downgrade. I guess we must wait for the official $40 upgrade to become available to see how the downgrade option really works.
    Interesting.

Well I think I will have to wait for more firm info on this before I get my hopes up. I'm sure once its out "in the wild" we'll have all the answers we need.

Thanks everybody.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post
    Well I think it's insane to continue to run WinXP past the 2014 support date. At that point you are just being an idiot running a system that will have no bug fixes and more importantly no security fixes.

Honestly I'm shocked so many are STILL using WinXP right now. Sure it is still supported but Windows 7 is awesome and has been around a long time now ...

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    As long as some of my programs work in WIN XP and not in WIN 7 ... I will keep using WIN XP in a dual boot configuration.

I've got one person who does not like WIN 7 ... he says ... when in ... Facebook and he wants to talk and see his cousin in Mexico using the ... "plugin" in FaceBook ... it wont work but when he is booted in WIN XP ... his camera does work.

I've got another customer who wants to do the same thing ... and he brought his laptop to me and when he clicked on the ... FaceBook person he wanted to talk to and look at with the built in webcam ... a message popped up to download a file ... okay ... I clicked it and it downloaded a file to a folder.

When I looked in the folder ... there was 4 copies of the file already in that folder ... the customer was getting the file to enable the webcam to work in FaceBook with WIN 7 ... but he wasn't running the install of the program to enable the webcam.

Okay guys ... quite a few of us here at this website ... we are savvy and know our shit ... but I definitely know folks who are not savvy and just don't get or just don't want to learn how to use WIN 7.

The good thing is ... when these people come to me for help ... I charge them ... sometimes it is by method of Barter ... a pack of cigarettes ... but to pay my bills ... heh ... ATM machines don't have the ability to scan a pack of cigarettes.

These same people brought me a Dell Laptop N5050 ... it failed to start WIN 7 Home Premium ... I checked the BIOS ... it said ... no hard drive.

See video >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy6tqC7qzfA

I got it going ... those 11 some screws ... two of them hold the hard drive in place ... if they fall out ... the hard drive in it's little cubby hole inside the laptop can actually shift enuff to un-plug itself ... so to keep it from doing it again in the future ... I stuffed some soft foam rubber in between the gap so if the screws fall out again the hard drive wont un-plug itself.

Also to mention ... the screws for holding the hard drive are short and fatter then the other screws that I removed which actually hold the top plate ... palmrest ... on. Those screws holding the hard drive in place ... can easily come loose and when I did remove them ... somebody had already been messing with them ... one of the short screws was in a different location that was incorrect. ... after I finished fixing it ... I put a dab of Fingernail clear polish to hopefully keep the screws in place.

Definitely not a fun laptop to work on ...
    Hopefully I wont regret this ... this is me >>> http://www.facebook.com/Mach1016?ref=tn_tnmn
    Last edited by lacywest; 15th Sep 2012 at 16:44. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK I have another question. Sorry.

Is there any reason to go to a 64bit version of windows 7 if you can't utilize the extra ram that 64bit enables?

I know my motherboard is maxed out on ram so I can't add more.

Is there any benefit besides more than 4gb of ram to having a 64bit os? I have a dual core 64bit chip so I could do it. I just don't know if there is a need to other than more ram.

Also there's all the hassle of getting the 64bit versions of all the codecs and everything.

Edit - I'd just get the 32bit version of windows 7 pro if there is no substantial reason aside from more ram to go with 64bit, note I've yet to use a 64bit os personally so I don't have any experience with it.

Thoughts?

------------------

Also I have some time before the release so I need to get started digging around the net for windows 7 drivers for all my stuff - soundcard, videocard, that kind of thing. Actually those I think are the only things I do need.

--------------------

One other thing - going from vista to windows 7 everything carries over right? I mean programs and data files? I know theres a whole heirarchy of what does and doesn't transfer in the upgrade path. But it will be a straight overlay won't it?

I do have all my downloaded programs and original discs on hand so its not the end of the world if I have to do reinstalling of programs. I just want to know up front.

Thanks everybody.
    Last edited by yoda313; 20th Sep 2012 at 17:40.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    OK I have another question. Sorry.

Is there any reason to go to a 64bit version of windows 7 if you can't utilize the extra ram that 64bit enables?

I know my motherboard is maxed out on ram so I can't add more.

Is there any benefit besides more than 4gb of ram to having a 64bit os? I have a dual core 64bit chip so I could do it. I just don't know if there is a need to other than more ram.

Also there's all the hassle of getting the 64bit versions of all the codecs and everything.

Edit - I'd just get the 32bit version of windows 7 pro if there is no substantial reason aside from more ram to go with 64bit, note I've yet to use a 64bit os personally so I don't have any experience with it.

Thoughts?

------------------

Also I have some time before the release so I need to get started digging around the net for windows 7 drivers for all my stuff - soundcard, videocard, that kind of thing. Actually those I think are the only things I do need.

--------------------

One other thing - going from vista to windows 7 everything carries over right? I mean programs and data files? I know theres a whole heirarchy of what does and doesn't transfer in the upgrade path. But it will be a straight overlay won't it?

I do have all my downloaded programs and original discs on hand so its not the end of the world if I have to do reinstalling of programs. I just want to know up front.

Thanks everybody.
    You can upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 and keep all your files, settings and programs, as long as you upgrade to one of the Windows 7 versions that is in Microsoft's upgrade path for the version of Vista that you have. (You must be able to do an Upgrade install rather than a Custom install.) http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7 ...but I don't think you can keep your programs when upgrading from Vista to Windows 8, just your files and settings. http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/07/02/upgrade-to-win...for-39-99.aspx

I have never heard a reason for preferring 64-bit Windows 7 other than to be able to install more memory. However, some programs do use a lot of memory and having more than 4GB is helpful, and your video card's memory counts towards the 4GB limit for a 32-bit OS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 and keep all your files, settings and programs, as long as you upgrade to one of the Windows 7 versions that is in Microsoft's upgrade path for the version of Vista that you have. (You must be able to do an Upgrade install rather than a Custom install.) http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/w...a-to-windows-7 ...but I don't think you can keep your programs when upgrading from Vista to Windows 8, just your files and settings. http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b...for-39-99.aspx
    Thanks. I'm not on my vista pc right now so I'll have to check that out later. THis will be a vista to 7 upgrade so it would be nice to keep everything but I do have backups and all that so it won't be impossible, just time consuming to reload everything.

Originally Posted by usually_quite
    I have never heard a reason for preferring 64-bit Windows 7 other than to be able to install more memory. However, some programs do use a lot of memory and having more than 4GB is helpful, and your video card's memory counts towards the 4GB limit for a 32-bit OS.
    Ok. Reason I ask is I can't go over 4 on my motherboard so if thats really the only reason to go to 64bit than I'll just get the 32bit version of 7.

And since this upgrade deal requires a preexisting license there isn't a need to "future proof" the purchase if I was thinking of doing 64bit at some point anyway. I'd end up either with a new computer all together or I'd pick up a boxed version of a 64bit win 7.

Thanks usually_quiet and everyone for chiming in.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I don't think you can upgrade 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Win7.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I don't think you can upgrade 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Win7.
    Yes, that is right. That option is not permitted. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7?T1=tab02
    Quote Quote  
  10. I think they will allow a fresh install -- but you'll lose all your apps, settings, data...
    Quote Quote  
  11. I only changd over to Win7 fairly recently and I'm quite glad I did. As others have said XP is showing its age and new programs and drivers no longer cater to that section.
    If there is something you need and only works in XP then do a dual boot or VM. Dual boot is easier, Vm is more convenient. And go 64 bit, 32 bit is as dead as Doom.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @jagabo and usually_quiet - thanks for the info on the upgrade path. If it would have to be a clean slate for 64bit I don't think I'd want to do that.

I have windows vista home premium so I can upgrade to windows 7 home premium according to the link usually_quiet gave.

Its interesting it says You can do Win 7 Ultimate but not PRO when upgrading from vista home premium. That begs the question - is Win 7 Ultimate part of this upgrade offer with downgrade package? If so i'd go for the ultimate just for the heck of it.

------------------------

@Rabid Dog - what is the real reason for getting a 64bit version of the OS if the only real benefit is more ram which I can't utilize on the computer I'm gonna upgrade? Also I'd have to do a clean install which I don't really want to do if I don't have to.

------------------------

One other thing I'm gonna have to look at is how much hard drive space I'll need for the upgrade. Right now I'm anywhere from 5 to 7gb on my OS c drive. It varies whenever I'm doing encoding jobs - but my output files go to my second internal drive.

I just checked more of that linked page for the upgrade process:

Windows 7 system requirements

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:
    • 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
    • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
    • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
    Wow 16gb for the install?? I'll have to do some purging on my c drive before I do this. I didn't think it was going to be that much.

Is that true for an upgrade or is that necessary for a full install on a blank harddrive? I can sacrifice stuff and reload it later so its not that big of a deal but I didn't think it was going to be that large.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No XP mode in Windows?? Not buy.

In Brazil, upgrade version is 69,90R$ (35.00$), If have a OEM key, 29,90R$ (14.99$)

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why bother getting Windows 8? Windows 9 (or whatever they label it) will probably be out in 3 years. I have heard through the grapevine that M/Soft is already working on 9 and tentatively scheduled a release date (internally, not publicly of course). Meanwhile, there will still be millions of versions of XP and Windows7 running out there in the USA alone. Also remember, in order to fully experience W8 you will need to invest in a desktop touchscreen, and laptops that do not have touchscreen capability will have to re replaced. That's gonna make a lot of owners really happy. XP and 7 are not going to go away in a big hurry. Of course, if you regularly work on handhelds then W8 will be a good thing to learn, I guess.
    My wife works in middle management for a Fortune 100 company and their CIO has no plans whatsoever to upgrade his Enterprise from XP to Windows7. And why not? MoneySoft comes out with a new product approximately every 3-5 years, and it costs mega-millions to change. The company I just retired from runs XP and has no plans at all to upgrade.
    I can only envision with horror the chaos that would erupt "upgrading" to Windows8; it just does the same thing that Windows XP and 7 do from a CIO's POV.
    Last edited by ranchhand; 26th Oct 2012 at 10:46.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ranchhand View Post
    Why bother getting Windows 8? Windows 9 (or whatever they label it) will probably be out in 3 years. I have heard through the grapevine that M/Soft is already working on 9 and tentatively scheduled a release date (internally, not publicly of course). Meanwhile, there will still be millions of versions of XP and Windows7 running out there in the USA alone. Also remember, in order to fully experience W8 you will need to invest in a desktop touchscreen, and laptops that do not have touchscreen capability will have to re replaced. That's gonna make a lot of owners really happy. XP and 7 are not going to go away in a big hurry. Of course, if you regularly work on handhelds then W8 will be a good thing to learn, I guess.
    My wife works in middle management for a Fortune 100 company and their CIO has no plans whatsoever to upgrade his Enterprise from XP to Windows7. And why not? MoneySoft comes out with a new product approximately every 3-5 years, and it costs mega-millions to change. The company I just retired from runs XP and has no plans at all to upgrade.
    I can only envision with horror the chaos that would erupt "upgrading" to Windows8; it just does the same thing that Windows XP and 7 do from a CIO's POV.
    I've used the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. The Start Screen and Windows 8 Apps would work best with a touch screen, but conventional mice and laptop touch pads do work too. They are just less convenient.

The user interface is different enough that I would agree that training issues will discourage businesses from migrating to Windows 8. There are shells available to provide a Start Button and Start Menu on the desktop, which helps quite a bit for people who mostly use the desktop and legacy software, but using Windows 8 Apps forces users to interact with the Start Screen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I still have one important question about this upgrade offer - can the donwgrade to 7 be done with this version of Pro?

I've been searching google and have only found that the OEM versions of Win 8 pro have the downgrade options.

Has anyone been able to downgrade to 7 with this downloadable version of win 8 pro? Does this version have the downgrade option?

Also is Win 7 Ultimate available assuming the downgrade works with this version of win 8 pro? I would want to get Ultimate since I can't get win 7 pro since I have vista premium - the upgrade tree shows vista premium to win 7 home premium but not pro but allows the jump to ultimate from vista home premium.

Again this is assuming the downgrade option is available on the download offer. I want a confirmation before I buy it.

Thanks.

I'll try to keep looking for a firm answer if this has the donwgrade option or if its only available on oem win 8 pro's.

(fyi I am right near 16gb free so I should be in the clear for installing win 7 assuming again that the downgrade option is available in the downloaded version of win 8 pro).
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I still find WinXP an excellent OS, but unfortunately applications will gradually require upgrade to latest Windows. Just recently I upgraded Peachtree Complete Accounting to the 2012 version, and it now requires WinXP SP3 and IE7 or higher version of internet explorer; in another year or so it'll likely require Win7, Win8 in another few years, etc. I believe eventually we'll be forced to upgrade whether we like it or not.

I read in another forum that Windows 8 is designed for the new touch screen based tablet type machines like microsoft surface , asus and lenovo convertible (laptop / tablets) and touch screen interface PCs (the all in one resembling the early macs, where the computer is built into a monitor). If that's true I think I'd rather go with Win7. Post #12 by PartingShot mentions using the offer to upgrade from WinXP to Win7 Pro. Is that option in the offing, and if so, does anyone have a link to that?
    Quote Quote