VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    hello everyone!

When I am bruning a clip to a disc I always burn it to a DVD using GUI fort DVD author but how do I do when I want to author a CD with as complicated manus as I can build in GUI for dvd author ?? Is there a softwere I can use that is as good as GfD?? Or maybe is it possible to author a CD in my authoring program as well?

thankfull for answers!

michcio
    take a look at my DVD-authoring guide :)

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic353434.html
    Quote Quote  
  2. cds are usually vcd or svcd. menus are possible but hard to make. if your dvd player supports it, the miniDVD format(dvd file system written on cd) can use normal DVD menus. limited to 700mb cd size.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    michcio - What exactly do you want to do? Are you interested in VCD/SVCD? DVD format on CD-R?

VCD/SVCD can use menus, but they are extremely limited. No sound, no moving video. I've seen some programs that supposedly let you author VCD/SVCD menus with audio and moving video, but that isn't part of the standards. Most commercial VCDs don't have menus at all because they just cause problems on some machines for playback.

DVD format on CD-R (miniDVD as minidv2dvd says) can take normal DVD menus, but note that very few standalone DVD players will play these discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thank you for your response guys

well what I want to do is just to burn a clip to a CD...but I want subtitles to my video...I know that I can just rename the video and my subs to the same thing (only with different filenames) but then if I want two different languages on my subtitles how do I solve that?

I do also use the program named AviSub which burns subtitles INTO a video file (.avi) and makes a .divx file where I can have up to 3 subtitles languages on...this program works fine and I have made a lot of .divx files but now the thing is that when I try to burn the .divx to a CD (with Express Burn) I do get errors while burning (even when I choose the slowest speed x8 ) ...and sometimes I do burn the .divx successfully but then my DVD-player doesn't see any of my subs that I have burned into my .avi

that's why I need a simple way to burn my subs. to a .avi on a CD, that's why I want to make a menu where the user can choose his subtitle language and play the movie...

you say that I can do miniDVD of my CD.. but then I don't think that my DVD-player would have read that CD :/

I think that's really bad that there is no simple way that works fine for CD authoring

And what's the different between VCD and SVCD...while just burning my .divx inte a CD I always use the "DATA burn" section in Express burn ... which type of CD do I make then ? (Data CD? :P)...would this .divx burning work better if I would have made my CD into VCD or SVSD?

thanks for all answers

regards

michcio
    take a look at my DVD-authoring guide :)

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic353434.html
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately, your first post led us to conclude something very different from what you really want to do. You want to burn a Divx file with subtitles and a menu. This has nothing to do with VCD/SVCD/DVD. You can burn Divx to CD-R if you wish and it's not a problem for playback if your DVD player supports playing Divx files. There is a definition of VCD in the "What Is" section at the top of the VideoHelp website, but for some reason they have removed the SVCD definition information. Look if you want, but don't worry about these formats.

Divx 6 supports menus and subtitles, but not all players understand the Divx 6 container. Most don't. Divx Author and some version of TMPGenc (I don't remember which version - sorry) allow you to author Divx 6 content. DVD players can always play Divx 6 videos, but they may not recognize the menus and subtitles if they don't explicitly support the format. Divx Author is "try before you buy" so you can download it and see if it works for you before buying it.

I don't have any experience with AviSub, so I don't know why it isn't working for you.
    Quote Quote