VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, This is not a quality issue or a not being able to use software issue.

I have a DVD that is aprox. 7.9GB

I have tried DVD shrink and also CloneDVD.

When they compress the file is comes out at 5.3 GB and will not fit on a DVD-5 (4.7gb)

I am unable to change the settings in CloneDVD to go under 50%, I am also maxed out of compression on DVD Shrink.

Is there anyway to get this IMG under 4.7 GB without doing a double compression (i.e. 7.9GB to 5.3 then recompress the 5.3 to a lower File size?)

Everything that is on the disc i need. I cannot remove any files or audio tracks to make it smaller. I need an exact copy of the 7.9 GB disc on a 4.7gb disc.

Any Ideas would be great.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Rebuilder will make it fit, but it may come at a cost. Unless the original was encoded at a much higher bitrate than it really needed, anything you do to reduce it will affect quality. You might be able to use DVD Rebuilder's half-D1 functionality to reduce the size of some of the extras (if you have any) by reducing the resolution to half-D1.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can only go so far before it just comes out like rubbish

You may want to try shrinkto5 which allows for "custom" in which you can specify the whole dvd to fit 4.3gig

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/shrinkto5.cfm

Or get a burner which supports DL media, use imgburn, and verbatim dl's ... and forget about shrinking dvd's.

Edit: There's also ratdvd, but that wont play on home dvd players.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have the cabability to write to Dual Layer .. However this project requires me to fit on DVD-5

I will check out rebuilder

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I'd use DVDRB as recommended, but why not just use the custom setting in DVDShrink...
    Edit>Preferences>Target DVD size >Custom, and change size ....
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sometimes even Shrink can't do it in one pass, no matter what settings you play with.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    that is what I am finding out.

I got the best results with a two pass through dvdshrink.

Just and FYI .. I am working on this for customer who's production company supplied them with a Dual Layer DVD in hopes of charging them almost $7 per disc to make more copies.

While we charge less $5 per DL-Disc we are trying to save our customer money by compressing and putting on a DVD5 in which case it would cost our customer $2 per disc.

So ... unfortunaly, in this case (since I am not bootlegging DVDs) I do not have the option of

Or get a burner which supports DL media, use imgburn, and verbatim dl's ... and forget about shrinking dvd's.
    Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
  8. So you're using Shrink on a commercial project? If I were your boss (or your customer), I'd fire you.
    Quote Quote