VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi.

Can i use only mkvtoolnix gui program to convert dolby atmos or truehd into the core ac3 cause my 4k tv can't handle the dolby atmos sound well.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. IF an AC3 core is present you can just open the file in MKVToolNix GUI, deactivate the TrueHD/Atmos track and mux.
    IF an AC3 core is NOT present you need to use a different software, e.g. ffmpeg. See:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/393294-How-can-I-convert-Dolby-Atmos-to-something-...se#post2551738
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    And HOW i know if the core of ac3 is present or not?

The mkvtoolnix is shows me "truehd atmos"

And how i can recode any dolby atmos into ac3 with gui 34.0.0 of mkvtoolnix?

My tv is samsung ue49mu7002 and i don't know if support dolby atmos or not. I believe is not.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If MKVToolNix does not show any AC3 track then AC3 is not present and you must use a different software.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Mkvtoolbix can reduse to core ONLY TO DTS-HD sound NOT at any other sound type so.......
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Yes but this program let all other like sound and video untouched the quality?

With only the mkvtoolbix i can't do that?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Something newer and simpler from popcorn?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by fits79 View Post
    Mkvtoolbix can reduse to core ONLY TO DTS-HD sound NOT at any other sound type so.......
    MKVToolNix will split AC3 core from TrueHD/Atmos if present. It works a bit different from DTS.

Read: https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/wikis/TrueHD-and-AC-3
    And read the link I posted in my first post. It answers everything. If you can't figure out ffmpeg try BOX4.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    No it CAN'T there isn't any option - choice at mkvtoolnix to split or reduce truehd or dolby atmos to ac3.
    ONLY DTS-HD TO DTS CORE.
    We speak about mkvtoolnix gui and you tell me about mkvmerge that it is a command inside the mkvtoolnix so.....
    Quote Quote  
  11. Please take the time to carefully read both my posts as well as the links I provided. Dolby and DTS work differently, that's why the --reduce-to-core option does not work for Dolby. I have provided everything you need to understand and solve your issue but I can only show you the door.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    I don't know very well english.
    And at the first link you tell me that i can split the dolby atmos from ac3 or dts with only the mkvtoolnix gui program.
    As i know i can't do that with only that program.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Here's how it works:

Dolby Atmos = Dolby TrueHD + 3D positional Data
    Dolby TrueHD (aka MLP Lossless) *usually* includes an additional AC3 side stream for backward-compatibility (NOT a true "Core" stream, though I accidentally mentioned that earlier) = Lossless, except for the AC3 sidestream
    Dolby AC3 (aka Dolby Digital), or Dolby E-AC3 (aka Dolby Digital Plus) = Lossly (E=newer Enhanced version w/more features, max streams, less compression artifacts, but still lossy)

You can take AC3 as is (almost everything supports it).
    You can take E-AC3 as is, if your stuff suports it, or convert it to standard AC3, but converting it will lose quality.
    You can take TrueHD as is, if your stuff supports it, or convert it to standard or enhanced AC3, but converting it will lose quality. If your TrueHD has a AC3 sidestream, you can take that portion of it and use that portion as is (but it already is lossy and of reduced quality).
    You can take Dolby Atmos and use the TrueHD portion as just mentioned above, but the Atmos positioning portion YOU WILL LOSE completely.

So if you don't care about the 3D positioning, you have options.
    If you care about the 3D positioning, you ONLY option is to continue to use it as it is in its original form. There is currently, and probably for the foreseeable future will be, NO way to decode/convert Atmos 3D positioning objects, as it is proprietary to and closely guarded by Dolby, and Dolby is the only one who has a 3D-rendering positional decoder, and they do not even offer a converter.

It may be possible with much reference/test material to reverse engineer. But that has not happened yet.

Don't think I can make it any clearer.

Note: I didn't tell you ANYTHING about mkvtoolnix the program. I told you "ALL" programs.
    sneaker was talking about the ac3 core, but meant the ac3 backward-compatible side-stream
    Sounds like mkvtoolnix doesn't support actual main portion of TrueHD. I don't know, I don't use it.

IF your TV still supports TrueHD, you will still get that quality, but just no Atmos 3D positional objects. If it doesn't support TrueHD, you MUST use some other program to convert (and lose quality).

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 3rd Jun 2019 at 15:51.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    A LOT OF THANKS BOTH OF YOU FOR ALL YOUR TIME AND YOUR HELP.

Is there a program that can simply take from an mkv file the core of any truehd, dolby atmos, dts-hd e.t.c.?

The simple core of ac3 5.1 or dts 5.1 channels.

Without needing to to compres or decompres and loose some quality simply take the core.
    As it do the mkvtoolnix from dts-hd sound.

I don't care anything about 3d at all cause my tv it isn't 3d so.....

I have the samsung ue49mu7002 4k tv and as i know with dolby atmos or truehd has some issues at playback so i must do it simple ac3 or dts so i can see the video normally without any stuck.

A LOT OF THANKS FOR ONE MORE TIME FOR YOUR HELP.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Again, TrueHD does NOT have a lossy "core", only the full lossless file. But it might have a side-stream, which would probably be good enough for your needs.
    DTS HD-MA does have a core.
    Different brands, work differently.

I will NOT speak about mkvtoolnix program.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Ok then how i strip this side-stream(This gonna be dts?) from dolby atmos.

Ok suggest me one another program that can do all these without needing to convert anything or use a lot of cpu.
    Quote Quote