VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i bought a few 50 pack spindles back when 8x burners just came out, the media was 4x richjpn i think +r

my last few times they have been prodisc r03's

i got them for dirt cheap only reason i bought them, they started with good media to get a loyal customer base then crap media now i have heard to many times
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I learned my lesson on their cd-r products.
    A good divorce beats a bad marriage.
    Now I have two anniversaries I celebrate!
    Quote Quote  
  3. I've used both Memorex DVD-R (ProDisc, they turned out to be) and CD-R for some time now, and never have a problem.

My main issues in the past were with burning software, but I've since switched to Sonic products only, and everything works beautifully.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Memorex is the sh!ttiest of the SH!T. I bought a pack of 50 and a pack of 50 Ritek. Now mostthe movies I burn with Memorex are either unplayable, skipped, or freeze while play with my standalone player. No label were used just Sharpie. Check this, all the ones I burn with Ritek are running perfectly. That was the last time I ever bought Memorex and I got first hand experience. I tried to reburn the ones on Memorex to Ritek instead of having to rent all the movies but it's so crappy that even my DVDrom were having problem reading it. No offense but thanks to all the newbies for recommending Memorex when I first got into this ripping/burning DVDs that I now have a bunch of useless movies. Save yourself the headache and go with ONLY Ritek or Taiyo Yuden
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by crashnburn
    Memorex is the sh!ttiest of the SH!T. I bought a pack of 50 and a pack of 50 Ritek. Now mostthe movies I burn with Memorex are either unplayable, skipped, or freeze while play with my standalone player. No label were used just Sharpie. Check this, all the ones I burn with Ritek are running perfectly. That was the last time I ever bought Memorex and I got first hand experience. I tried to reburn the ones on Memorex to Ritek instead of having to rent all the movies but it's so crappy that even my DVDrom were having problem reading it. No offense but thanks to all the newbies for recommending Memorex when I first got into this ripping/burning DVDs that I now have a bunch of useless movies. Save yourself the headache and go with ONLY Ritek or Taiyo Yuden
    The problem with calling Memorex shit and calling Ritek great is that Memorex uses ALL KINDS of media, including RITEK and even Taiyo Yuden. So is Ritek and Taiyo Yuden shit now too? Without being specific on what the actual Memorex media is, saying Memorex is shit labels almost every type of media MADE shit.

Just look at the media reviews, Memorex uses Prodisc, Fujifilm, CMC, MCC, Princo, MBI, Ritek, TY, TDK, Philips, RICOHJPN, Infodisc.

I've used all of the above media codes from one brand or another except for MBI, and I've heard mostly good things about them. Be specific, don't say Memorex is shit, say 'xxx media is shit'. Only media above that I've not had very good luck with is Princo, the rest have been fine for me.

Don't say 'Memorex is shit', you're only labeling almost every media made as crap if you say that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Memorex is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.
    Quote Quote  
  7. With Memorex CD-R's, it's pretty certain you're gonna get either CMC Magnetics or Moser Baer (both crap). DVD+-R could be different, but by all means avoid Memorex CD-R's like the plague.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got burned when I bought a 3 pack of DL memorex (ritek) 2 "worked" but yielded terrible results and the 3rdd failed. Now im geting the run around from them, as Im trying to get a replacement.
    A 50 pack of 8x (ritek too) I got thought works great.
    It depends what drive and FW youre using as well that give you better or worsre burns, so to say that they are all bad is opinion not fact.
    COPIED OVER 600 DVDS SO FAR
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a pack of DVD+R Memorex and a pack of DVD-R Memorex when I got my first dual format burner. It seems, for the most part, that the DVD-R Memorex are really crap. I know some people on this board swear by CMC media because they produce pretty little reports with low error rates, but have you seen these discs after a year? Half of mine don't even work!! However, I have used the DVD+R which were RicohJPN. Good stuff. Not one problem. Same media code, in fact, as the 200 Aritas I bought from Office Max over a year ago. All of them still play perfectly. Like an early poster said, you never know what you are going to get.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I know some people on this board swear by CMC media because they produce pretty little reports with low error rates, but have you seen these discs after a year?
    Yeah, I've got about 100 HP branded CMC discs that are about 2 years old, and 100s more that are newer. They all still play flawlessly, have low PI/PO error rates and perfect transfer rate scans to this day. So yes, I've seen them after a couple of years, I've not had one disc deteriorate on me. RICOHJPN is great as you say, I probably prefer that over any other media.

Princo, on the other hand I've had quite a few 'go bad' within a year or so.
    Quote Quote  
  11. imo memorex is brand for people with very little info about dvd media its for the type of people who just want basic dvd media.

i use only riteks and fuji's or maxell..

lord smurf knows alot about media as he has probably used them all..with his huge collection of toons..
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well i like the cmc dvd-r 8x, i forget the code offhand, but there 12x media in one of my burners not that 1 minute matters, but they burn semi good with decent qulity burns even at 12x, but i from now on only buying verbatim and fuji MIJ stuff, cause its about the same price, and if not worth the xtra 5 cents a disc
    Quote Quote  
  13. When I buy media I look for the best prices at http://www.salescircular.com/
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="steve2713"]
    Originally Posted by crashnburn
    I tried to reburn the ones on Memorex to Ritek instead of having to rent all the movies but it's so crappy that even my DVDrom were having problem reading it. No offense but thanks to all the newbies for recommending Memorex when I first got into this ripping/burning DVDs that I now have a bunch of useless movies.
    Hmmmmm.... and I thought NO ONE EVER burned RENTED movies. Looks like at least one of the folks here does.....shame on you!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lol, watch one night when he falls asleep the mpaa will come raid his house

u can get most dvd movies for 10 bucks now a days, why take the risk
    Quote Quote  
  16. I would just like to add my two cents. I've been reading these forum's for awhile and felt I should contribute.

I've had a Memorex DVD burner for a year now and it has been a workhorse! I've used Memorex, TDK, HP, and even Fry's GQ brand with no problems. I can honestly say that the coasters produced by this drive have been few and far between.

Take this for what it's worth.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yea, everynow and then u need something to set ur drinks on
    Quote Quote  
  18. i used to by just strictly the memorex dvd +r's 4x (i dont know the media codes).. and mine worked good.. havent passed the1 year mark yet tho.

so i tried the printable dvd +r's...the first 3 i tried, failed so i returned them. again no media code for them either.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Well, I sure wish I had read this thread before I bought a spindle of a hundred Memorex DVD+Rs. The first five disks from the spindle seemed to burn OK...until I checked them. The first sixty minutes or so comes out perfectly. But then, freezes, checkerboards, giant pixels--and, finally, ejection.

It's not my burner; I checked by trying another disk and there's no problem with it.

Thank God I still have the VIDEO_TS files on my hard disk.

Hopefully Fry's Electronics will take them back. They're pretty good about equipment, less good about what they call "consumables".
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    before u hike down to the fry's, make sure u got the newist firmware, and if there cmc which sound like so, u may wanna try a differnt write strat
    Quote Quote