VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have some GoPro Hero 4 videos (720p, 59.94fps, h264) that I have stabilised in Mercalli (standalone version), edited in Magix Vegas, exported to h264 AVI (using x264VFW codec) then converted to MP4 using HandBrake (which as I understand it is a container change only, not change to encoded data). Up to the AVI stage the footage shows nice smooth graded blue skies, but when I convert to MP4, even at a slightly higher bitrate, I get visible colour banding in the sky. Both versions at YUV with 8bit colour depth.

Any ideas ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by blewyn View Post
    then converted to MP4 using HandBrake (which as I understand it is a container change only, not change to encoded data).
    Handbrake always reencodes the video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Why not export to .mp4 directly from Magix? What are you gaining from your AVI intermediate?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Why not export to .mp4 directly from Magix? What are you gaining from your AVI intermediate?
    I couldn't find an option to do that. There are some Sony MP4 presets but none giving me unconstrained control over frame rate / bitrate etc

I tried HandBrake again using a quality-based encoding criteria rather than bit rate, and it came out nicely, no blocks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by blewyn View Post
    Why not export to .mp4 directly from Magix? What are you gaining from your AVI intermediate?
    I couldn't find an option to do that. There are some Sony MP4 presets but none giving me unconstrained control over frame rate / bitrate etc

I tried HandBrake again using a quality-based encoding criteria rather than bit rate, and it came out nicely, no blocks.
    You must be using a very old version. Glad you got it sorted.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by blewyn View Post
    Then export as uncompressed or losslessly compressed video so you have only one h.264 compression.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by blewyn View Post
    then converted to MP4 using HandBrake (which as I understand it is a container change only, not change to encoded data).
    Are you sure ? The speed of processing was very fast, did a 16min 720p 60fps video in seconds.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by blewyn View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by blewyn View Post
    Are you sure ? The speed of processing was very fast, did a 16min 720p 60fps video in seconds.
    That's fast enough to be a remux. The version I have is about a year old (I don't really use the program) but I don't see a video remux option anywhere. Maybe it's been added since?
    Quote Quote